Dismissed after being .retaliated against....need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted445355

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Suffice it to say this is common in "real life." As long as you have some champions who can help you transition to find another school to transfer to and vouch that you are in good academic standing, all you can do is see if anyone will take you.

Just be aware, these people will still be there and will remain your colleagues within the profession (of medical education). As much as you want to, you cannot burn bridges or impugn anything about them. Once you transition to another school, let it go and believe karma is a cat sitting on your lap...

I also wish you the best. This is a tough spot to be in, no matter how it happened.

Although trying to transfer to another school is a laudable goal, I expect you may find it extremely challenging. Your school dismissed you for cause - presumably because your evaluations demonstrated repeat lapses in judgement. I realize you're saying that it wasn't true and I have no reason to doubt that, but I can also see the school's view here. I can't comment on the appeal process, they are inherently difficult and challenging to do fairly.

Other schools may be very reluctant to take a student who has been dismissed for performance issues. All they have is your word vs the school's as to what happened.

That said, I've seen stories here on SDN where it has happened. But they are rare.

In general, legal action is not viable for something like this. The courts will defer to the school regarding academic competence. If you thought you were discriminated against because of a protected class - sex, pregnancy, race, etc -- then you'd have some chance there. You might consider whether they accommodated your disability or not (ADA), but they offered you a complete re-do of your 3rd year and an LOA which honestly seems reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you were to get back in it would likely have to be at a for profit DO school (the RVUs) which would likely involve starting over and private loans only

if you were to get back in it would likely have to be at a for profit DO school (the RVUs) which would likely involve starting over and private loans only
RVU CO and UT have above average stats for DO schools (there are easier schools to get into), and allow federal loans.

I do not know who OP is, but I attend his/her school. I have followed OP's posts over the years and there is a lot more to it. I wish OP all the best. The school we attend is amazing and care for the success and well being of every student. The dean is absolutely amazing in my humble opinion. The move to RVU CO would be an easy move for OP if only stats were involved.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a mental health professional, but OP was sure displaying and lot of paranoia/persecution issues in their OP.
Med school will do that to some…

I'm not a mental health professional, but OP was sure displaying and lot of paranoia/persecution issues in their OP.

yeah at my school back in the day, they generally wanted to keep people because they liked that tuition money. School had nothing to gain by losing people as it only hurt their match list and lost revenue. There were a good number of people that failed out but I would say a lot of the ones i saw had questionable work ethic/study habbits or significant personal issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.