Dilemma

thirdgen_doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's my situation:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first of all let me say congrats on getting in to medical school. For the next 4 years this will be your primary focus, however you still need to keep some normalcy in your life. One thing you don't need is a distraction such as wondering what the significant other is thinking or doing. Think long and hard about what YOU want before embarking on the long hard journey with that monkey on your back (I refer to the long distance part of the relationship... there will always be doubts). If he truely loves you he will take that big step and support you no matter what... even if he doesn't get to see you but once a month or so, and not be a whiny baby about it (please don't tell him I called him that). I saw several of my classmate's long distance relationships break up because there was so little time together. It (medical school) will be one of the hardest, and most rewarding, things you will ever have to go through. I hope you will be able to share it with some one... even if it isn't the current bo'.

Long distance relationships are possible, but I think they only work if the relationship is well established and the individual that's not in med school understands that depending on the week, there could be a lot or a little time devoted towards the relationship. When my boyfriend has exams, I know to back off and just wish him luck and not to cause any drama or bring up things that require more than 10 minutes to talk about.

With you saying that Mr. X is a bit needy, then I would say you need to get yourself established in school, then decide if you could handle a relationship on top of your studies. Not the other way around. It's better to have looked back on your senior year and enjoyed the relationship you did have with Mr. X and just blame things on bad timing than to completely destroy the relationship and end up resenting each other because you tried and either person was too needy in the relationship. Of course, this is just my 2 cents!

Members don't see this ad :)
5 hours is long distance?! Thats easy done with weekend road trips to see each other. Im confused. Did you mean a 5 hour plane ride?

PS- I dont congratulate people on getting into med school anymore because I know better. godspeed and gluck.

LADoc00, we are separated by a 5 hr car trip. I consider it long distance given the fact that gas is so expensive (we both don't have money to blow on unecessary trips) and it will take 10 hrs round trip to visit each other

thirdgen_doc said:
LADoc00, we are separated by a 5 hr car trip. I consider it long distance given the fact that gas is so expensive (we both don't have money to blow on unecessary trips) and it will take 10 hrs round trip to visit each other.

Trains, you can study on them, read, whatever. They are great and go pretty much everywhere.

True, but round trip fare on amtrak is $130. It's convenient, but expensive.