Difficult interview decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vision34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I started getting interested in optometry, I shadowed a lot of different practices. Two of the optometrists, independently of each other, told me to visit one of their favorite optometrists. I thought that it was crazy that they both recommended the same guy, so I called his office and was able to spend a day with him. Turns out, he is a professor at SUNY!

Here's where my dilemma comes in: what if, at my SUNY interview (which is in a couple of weeks) they ask me what my favorite shadowing experience was? I can honestly say that my best experience was at his office, but I don't want it to seem like I'm sucking up, or that I'm bragging that I know one of their professors. Should I mention a different doctor, or should I be honest and hope they don't take it the wrong way? Thanks for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Be honest. Interviewers can usually tell when people are just blowing hot air. The way you talk about your experience should make them understand that you're being genuine. Just explain how you came across this guy and WHY it was your favorite experience. :)

hey! I have one wednesday. When's yours?? I think you should be honest, too =)

Members don't see this ad :)
cookyncreame said:
hey! I have one wednesday. When's yours?? I think you should be honest, too =)

Mine is Wednesday too!! Good luck :)

Are you guys interviewing for this incoming Fall class, or already for next year (2007)?

ericlemonster said:
Are you guys interviewing for this incoming Fall class, or already for next year (2007)?

Next year (2007), early decision. Are you going to apply to SUNY too? :)

I would say good luck but it's Wednesday already. I hope you did well (I'm sure you did), and hope to see you next year!

cookyncreame said:
I would say good luck but it's Wednesday already. I hope you did well (I'm sure you did), and hope to see you next year!

Hey I read your interview review- I'm glad your interview went well and I hope to see you next year too! :)