Did any docs take the QBI deduction on their taxes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I'm referring to taking the QBI for being a doctor, not for other businesses they might have.
This applies to 1099 docs, and those with an S-Corp or an LLC for just being an ER doctor.

I qualified for it in the past several years, it was a nice tax break. But this year I didn't, and I'm not sure why. My wife and I have W2 and 1099 income (my wife is not a doctor and she gets a W2, and I get a W2 and 1099 from the hospitals I work at), and my 1099 business after expenses was about 350K, which is below the 364K threshold. QBI is kind of confusing to me, I'm wondering if anyone else qualified for it for being a ER doc that gets a 1099.

Members don't see this ad.

And I'm referring to taking the QBI for being a doctor, not for other businesses they might have.
This applies to 1099 docs, and those with an S-Corp or an LLC for just being an ER doctor.

I qualified for it in the past several years, it was a nice tax break. But this year I didn't, and I'm not sure why. My wife and I have W2 and 1099 income (my wife is not a doctor and she gets a W2, and I get a W2 and 1099 from the hospitals I work at), and my 1099 business after expenses was about 350K, which is below the 364K threshold. QBI is kind of confusing to me, I'm wondering if anyone else qualified for it for being a ER doc that gets a 1099.
I am not a tax advisor by any means. But the QBI is for both incomes combined including W2 being less than the 364K threshold. It seems like you are jointly filing and above this threshold and would not qualify.

Reactions: 1 user
That's my understanding as well, but I haven't ever used and so not overly familiar with the QBI deduction.

It also looks like it's set to sunset in 2025 unless congress extends.