Diabetes and Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you be concerned about a Type 1 diabetic who wanted to go into surgery? Do you think the potential for hypoglycemic episodes during operating and the grueling residency would be potentially too much for someone like that to handle?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a surgeon, but am Type 1 DM. At my first job, one of the GenSx guys was also. I had just been diagnosed (age 37, mildly believe it or don't), and he was very encouraging to me (I'm EM). From when I saw him, he was doing well.

Would you be concerned about a Type 1 diabetic who wanted to go into surgery? Do you think the potential for hypoglycemic episodes during operating and the grueling residency would be potentially too much for someone like that to handle?

One of my friends in a surgical subspecialty was a Type I diabetic. He used an insulin pump, and it never seemed to cause him problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if it was someone who was poorly managed for whatever reason.