Determining course of treatment for trans patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike_the_medic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm currently working on a dermatology publication regarding male skin care and need help constructing an approach in how to medically correct treat trans patients. In constructing my treatment plan I've found myself at a hurdle, in that with "male skincare" as the overall theme of the publication, "male skincare" would in-fact apply to three different patient subsets, cis biological male, trans-female (biologically male XY), and trans-male (biologically female XX). As the majority of skin disease and disorders are treated based upon the physiological and hormonal attributes of the individual and with biological male and female skin being radically different, what would be the correct approach to treat trans patient. For example, a trans-male is to be treated for acne, which has a higher prevalence in adult females, so for this patient the socially correct approach would be to treat this patient as a male, however, being biologically female, a trait which can't be changed and taking into consideration hormonal therapies, wouldn't it be medically irresponsible to treat this patient as a male? It is my understanding that by treating this patient as a male, it would in fact be detrimental to the patients prognosis, however, in treating the patient as a female I would be going against social standards of ethical patient treatment if they find offense in my treatment plan.

Please let me know your opinions on this.

Members don't see this ad.