Dentistry in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mynameis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am a first year dental student in Australia and I was just wondering about a few things about the profession. Like after you finish your degree how hard or easy is it to get a job? Are dentists as much hated in the community as everyone says! How much can you except to make? How is the actual work? Is it very stressful? Also I would love to hear from other dental students and their adventures as they did their degree? Also how hard is it to speicalize?
Any comments will be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Mynameis said:
Hi Everyone,
I am a first year dental student in Australia and I was just wondering about a few things about the profession. Like after you finish your degree how hard or easy is it to get a job? Are dentists as much hated in the community as everyone says! How much can you except to make? How is the actual work? Is it very stressful? Also I would love to hear from other dental students and their adventures as they did their degree? Also how hard is it to speicalize?

I'm more than a little surprised that you're a dental student who doesnt know anything about dentistry? hehe.. :) The general australasian impression I get from dent students is that it is relatively easy to find a job after graduation.

I can't quote figures, but once again in NZ the general impression the dent students try to tell me is that dent grads make more than med grads straight out of school, when hours per week worked is taken into account.

Mynameis said:
Hi Everyone,
I am a first year dental student in Australia and I was just wondering about a few things about the profession. Like after you finish your degree how hard or easy is it to get a job? Are dentists as much hated in the community as everyone says! How much can you except to make? How is the actual work? Is it very stressful? Also I would love to hear from other dental students and their adventures as they did their degree… Also how hard is it to speicalize?

Didn't you see finding Nemo? Isn't that how all practices in Australia work?

:D

-Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
mike3kgt said:
Didn't you see finding Nemo? Isn't that how all practices in Australia work?

:D

-Mike

u mean how he owns saltwater aquarium with wild caught fish?
ya... i wanna do that too

what dental school are you at in Australia?

I am at the new program at Griffith.. What about yourself? Where you studying and which year you in?

Man you went all the way to go to dental school and do not know any thing about the profession. No offense, but are you really serious about becoming a dentist? How did you make it through the admissions interview (if you had one)?

hey how possible is it for a US trained dentist to get a license in Australia?

Mynameis said:
I am at the new program at Griffith.. What about yourself? Where you studying and which year you in?

Hi Mynameis

Have they sorted out the accreditation problems with the postgrad part of the course yet?

David

DrBlaze said:
Hi Mynameis

Have they sorted out the accreditation problems with the postgrad part of the course yet?

David

Yeah they have sorted it out.. Instead of the masters, it will be a Gradute Diploma.. To be honest it doesnt really matter as long as when you are finished you are a registered dentist I guess..