Dental student applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothy97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long story short, I am a dental student who will be applying to medical school (MD) this upcoming cycle after much deliberation. Dentistry no longer serves my interests as I am very interested in the biomedical sciences, and want to focus on healthcare outside of just the oral cavity.

I had a 3.8 undergrad GPA, 3.9 science GPA and will be taking the MCAT next February (so tbd). I had two years of transplant research in undergrad, was a leader of a healthcare public service organization, clocked quite a bit of volunteer hours, and was a phlebotomy tech that worked in inpatient and outpatient hospitals for two years. However, my major concern is that committees will automatically reject my application when they see I am currently a professional student at a different school. I'm not sure what I can do (besides shadowing) to solidify my interest in the field. I also would love advice on what I could possibly do to strengthen my application between now and next application cycle as a non-traditional applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll need to Shadow some doctors for starters, and I think it will be helpful to provide whatever evidence is necessary to show that you are running to medicine, and not merely running away from Dentistry.