Dental School Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalkev

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can tell me my chances of getting into dental schools this upcoming cycle. I am getting my bachelors in the summer of next year in 2024 and I would like to start dental school right after that. I am taking my DAT this May. I am consistently getting 19s on the practice test and I plan on getting a 20 or above on the actual test. My average GPA is 3.7 and has taken biology 1 and 2, Gen chem 1 and 2, genetics, and Ochem 1. I am currently taking Ochem 2, microbiology, and cell bio and will take more classes this next year. I am a biology major and I will take almost all the prerequisites for dental school. Problem is that I don't have any shadowing or volunteer hours. I am a freshman in college and I have spent most of my time in high school taking college-level classes and graduated high school with an associate. I don't really have time to get volunteering hours and shadowing hours because I am studying for the DAT. So can anyone tell me if they got into dental school with similar stats and almost no volunteering hours? Also, I have worked as a dental assistant and got like 200 hours of experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on applying to Roseman and U of U and some other schools. If you guys have any recommendations for my stats please let me know. U of U might be a long shot, but I think my academic stats might be good for Roseman. I just don't know how bad it would impact me for having no volunteering hours.

Problem is that I don't have any shadowing or volunteer hours. I am a freshman in college and I have spent most of my time in high school taking college-level classes and graduated high school with an associate.
Welcome back!

You need to know you want to be a dentist BEFORE you spend the energy on the DAT. You have three years for the scores to remain valid, and I would hate to have to lose an application because you have no dental experience (you should count your 200 hours as a DA) or community service. What is your plan on this?

You’re going to need some type of shadowing hours. I would aim for 100 minimum as that should cover almost all schools requirements.

If you can, I’d fill out a formal WAMCs template as it gives us a little better overview of yourself as an applicant and streamlines things

I agree with the above you really should spend time figuring out if dentistry is the right path for you. It’s expensive and you should be absolutely certain before gearing up for applying and submitting deposits. I spent close to 6-7k this cycle to get everything I needed to apply. Including DAT registration and travel to take it, applying to each school, traveling for each interview/tour, deposits, and study materials. So make sure you have a good plan on finances.

You’re a freshmen, you’ve got time. Take your time, enjoy college, build a good resume and get good experiences!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I want to be a dentist. I have been working for this since high school. Would my age be a disadvantage because I feel like I would be questioned whether or not I really want to be a dentist? I am graduating next year and I really don't want to take a gap year or do a master's. I have already paid and registered for the DAT in May. Would you guys recommend that I say my assisting hours are volunteering hours, experience, or shadowing hours since I was paid to do it? I can probably start shadowing once a week starting now. If I get 100 hours of shadowing and assisting hours can count as volunteering, assuming I get above a 19 on the DAT, would I get a good shot at getting into dental school?

Yes, I want to be a dentist. I have been working for this since high school. Would my age be a disadvantage because I feel like I would be questioned whether or not I really want to be a dentist? I am graduating next year and I really don't want to take a gap year or do a master's. I have already paid and registered for the DAT in May. Would you guys recommend that I say my assisting hours are volunteering hours, experience, or shadowing hours since I was paid to do it? I can probably start shadowing once a week starting now. If I get 100 hours of shadowing and assisting hours can count as volunteering, assuming I get above a 19 on the DAT, would I get a good shot at getting into dental school?
If you want to be a dentist, and you’re young, prove it to adcoms through volunteering, working, doing well in school and on the DAT and excel at your interview. Show maturity. There are folks who go to med school at 21 or younger. You just need to be mature and show that through your actions and speaking skills.

You’d count the shadowing as shadowing. You could count the assisting as assisting or what Mr. Smile said above. But just keep working hard and things will fall into place

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can tell me my chances of getting into dental schools this upcoming cycle. I am getting my bachelors in the summer of next year in 2024 and I would like to start dental school right after that. I am taking my DAT this May. I am consistently getting 19s on the practice test and I plan on getting a 20 or above on the actual test. My average GPA is 3.7 and has taken biology 1 and 2, Gen chem 1 and 2, genetics, and Ochem 1. I am currently taking Ochem 2, microbiology, and cell bio and will take more classes this next year. I am a biology major and I will take almost all the prerequisites for dental school. Problem is that I don't have any shadowing or volunteer hours. I am a freshman in college and I have spent most of my time in high school taking college-level classes and graduated high school with an associate. I don't really have time to get volunteering hours and shadowing hours because I am studying for the DAT. So can anyone tell me if they got into dental school with similar stats and almost no volunteering hours? Also, I have worked as a dental assistant and got like 200 hours of experience.
you need to have a minimum 100 hours shadowing and volunteering...

paid assisting is NOT volunteering...

For some schools, age might be a disadvantage. The main one you are interested in is Roseman University (average age 26). They accept a lot of people that are married and have kids. Not saying that you wouldn't get in as a younger candidate, but it seems like they like to accept people that are a little older compared to most schools. Overall, Roseman doesn't seem to care as much about the individual's statistics as most programs. They do care, but they care a lot more about creating a class that will blend well together and fit with the Roseman model (teamwork). People get accepted with a 2.8 gpa, and 17AA DAT with 150 volunteering. Other people will get rejected w/3.7gpa, 24AA w/1000+ volunteering hours. Every school is different in what they are looking for. I know some schools take pride in accepting younger people who didn't even gain their Bachelor's degree (the University of Minnesota doesn't require BD). I think you would for sure get an acceptance; if you have good stats, volunteering experience, and shadowing, it might just not be your top choice though. Worst case, if you don't gain an acceptance, do a Master's at Roseman or a different school that is your top choice. But right now, focus on the DAT. Shoot for 20+ in every section of the DAT. 19AA is cutting it close and is on the lower end.

You also need to start volunteering; that is huge at all dental schools (especially Roseman)! You need it, show that you can give back to your community, and enjoy getting involved. Try shadowing a dentist that also works part-time at Roseman or Utah (assuming you're from Utah). Create a good relationship with them and ask if they can write a letter of req when you start applying.

Here are the average ages and Statistics of some Programs for accepted students of 2021:
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 9.29.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 9.49.19 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users
Date of submission: Planning on submitting applications in June
Overall GPA: 3.68
Science GPA: 3.44
DAT score (include AA and all sections): American DAT, PAT 21, QR 22, Reading 21, Biology 19, Gen Chem 23, O Chem 23, TS 21, AA 22
State of Residence: Utah
Undergrad Attended:
University of Utah
Major: Biology
Minor:
N/A
Minority? Asian
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
3 General Dentists at the same office. About 50 hours
Volunteering Experience: None. I know this is very bad but I just got done with freshman year and took the DAT. I also am taking 13 credits this summer. 10 of 13 credits is a very fast-paced physics class with two labs a week that accounts for two semesters. I have to take these classes to be able to graduate in the spring of next year. If I don't get into dental school this year then I will definitely work on that but for now, there is just almost no time.
Employment: Dental Assistant: 6 months at the same office I shadowed. I worked for about 6 months and about 15 hours a week
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: None
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List, Undergraduate Scholarship that covers a little more than half of my tuition.
LOR type and strength: I will have two letters from professors. One is a general chemistry professor and associate dean. Another one is a medical microbiology professor who is also a medical doctor. The last one will be from a general dentist I shadowed and worked with.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere
Currently have completed 2 semesters of Gen Chem and 2 semesters of O chem. For biology, I have completed Biology 1 and 2, Genetics, Microbiology, and Cell Biology. I will be taking Anatomy, Physiology, Ecology and Evolution, and Bio Chem next year as well as 3 upper-level biology classes.

Red Flags
Volunteering and Shadowing Hours. Also a lower science GPA
School list:

I would like to get into the state schools which are Roseman and the University of Utah.
Also planning on AT Still Arizona, Missouri, Creighton, Boston, Midwestern Arizona and Illinois, Minnesota, UMKC, and Tufts.
Please let me know if I am applying too much and if any of these schools I should take out because I have a very slight chance of getting into.
Please let me know what you think of my chances in Rosemand and U of U
Thank you.

Just to make sure I’m reading this right, you’re a freshmen and you’re applying to dental school?

How many credits do you have? Are most of these credits CC?

I would honestly wait a year if that and get volunteer work. You have to have some type of volunteering before applying. Having none will most likely get your application screened out.

Most applicants apply end of their junior year or senior year. this gives you ample time to get volunteer work done and build a better application rather than bull rushing it like this. I would also double check and make sure that Roseman and UofU will accept applicants that don’t have degrees.

Let me know about this info and we can go from there. But take a breather! You’re doing great so far

Just to make sure I’m reading this right, you’re a freshmen and you’re applying to dental school?

How many credits do you have? Are most of these credits CC?

I would honestly wait a year if that and get volunteer work. You have to have some type of volunteering before applying. Having none will most likely get your application screened out.

Most applicants apply end of their junior year or senior year. this gives you ample time to get volunteer work done and build a better application rather than bull rushing it like this. I would also double check and make sure that Roseman and UofU will accept applicants that don’t have degrees.

Let me know about this info and we can go from there. But take a breather! You’re doing great so far
Yes, I am kind of a freshman and I know that what I am doing seems to be a little bit bull-rushing. I graduated from a nontraditional high school that allowed me to take college classes and graduated with my associate's in high school with about 70 credit hours. I actually gave myself some space as I could have taken Organic Chemistry and other biology classes my senior year but decided to relax. Since I took Ochem this year and Gen Chem my junior year, I decided to take the DAT just so I don't forget everything and have to relearn it. I guess I was kind of rushy on this part because I have not taken Anatomy and Physiology. I am on a scholarship that requires me to take 12 credits every semester and I will graduate Fall of 2024 anyway leaving me with nothing to do in spring and maybe not getting into dental school which is another gap year. I know volunteering hour is important but I just feel like I have gone this far and don't want to just not apply at all. As for degrees, I know the U of U requires a bachelor's but Roseman does not. Do you think I should drop my physics class and start volunteering and apply to schools that don't require a degree or wait until next year to apply?

For some schools, age might be a disadvantage. The main one you are interested in is Roseman University (average age 26). They accept a lot of people that are married and have kids. Not saying that you wouldn't get in as a younger candidate, but it seems like they like to accept people that are a little older compared to most schools. Overall, Roseman doesn't seem to care as much about the individual's statistics as most programs. They do care, but they care a lot more about creating a class that will blend well together and fit with the Roseman model (teamwork). People get accepted with a 2.8 gpa, and 17AA DAT with 150 volunteering. Other people will get rejected w/3.7gpa, 24AA w/1000+ volunteering hours. Every school is different in what they are looking for. I know some schools take pride in accepting younger people who didn't even gain their Bachelor's degree (the University of Minnesota doesn't require BD). I think you would for sure get an acceptance; if you have good stats, volunteering experience, and shadowing, it might just not be your top choice though. Worst case, if you don't gain an acceptance, do a Master's at Roseman or a different school that is your top choice. But right now, focus on the DAT. Shoot for 20+ in every section of the DAT. 19AA is cutting it close and is on the lower end.

You also need to start volunteering; that is huge at all dental schools (especially Roseman)! You need it, show that you can give back to your community, and enjoy getting involved. Try shadowing a dentist that also works part-time at Roseman or Utah (assuming you're from Utah). Create a good relationship with them and ask if they can write a letter of req when you start applying.

Here are the average ages and Statistics of some Programs for accepted students of 2021:
View attachment 367428View attachment 367429
Wow, I kind of figured but did not know age would be such of disadvantage but I guess it makes sense cause it's probably better to accept more mature applicants that have good stats as well. I actually just took the DAT recently and got a 22 AA and thought that I have a pretty good chance but I guess not. Is it possible that you could share with me a list like this for other dental schools? Thank you

Yes, I am kind of a freshman and I know that what I am doing seems to be a little bit bull-rushing. I graduated from a nontraditional high school that allowed me to take college classes and graduated with my associate's in high school with about 70 credit hours. I actually gave myself some space as I could have taken Organic Chemistry and other biology classes my senior year but decided to relax. Since I took Ochem this year and Gen Chem my junior year, I decided to take the DAT just so I don't forget everything and have to relearn it. I guess I was kind of rushy on this part because I have not taken Anatomy and Physiology. I am on a scholarship that requires me to take 12 credits every semester and I will graduate Fall of 2024 anyway leaving me with nothing to do in spring and maybe not getting into dental school which is another gap year. I know volunteering hour is important but I just feel like I have gone this far and don't want to just not apply at all. As for degrees, I know the U of U requires a bachelor's but Roseman does not. Do you think I should drop my physics class and start volunteering and apply to schools that don't require a degree or wait until next year to apply?
Personally, I think you should take your time and give yourself another year before applying. This is why:
1. you have zero volunteer hours. You can't beat around that bush, you have to have something. Food pantry, soup kitchen, etc. Just need to build hours. Applying with zero is a recipe for disaster. Schools/adcoms won't see the humanity side in you, only academics. You also have zero extracurriculars, which I don't think is as bad, but it stands out as you are only focussing on academics. You should also be aiming to have ~100 shadowing hours to cover bases for all schools. Some require 30, some 50/60, 80, or 100. Having more will also let you explain procedures and have a better understanding of how a practice functions. It will also help admissions in that you're showing them you've committed time to a field you want to pursue and have thought deeply about it.

2. You're young, while being young doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, the average age for a D1 student is 23. Folks younger do get in, but you need to make sure you display a level of maturity concurrent with being a professional student, and being a freshman they will test that in the interviews.

3. Not having a degree will severely limit you to where you can apply. Your In State school is your best chance for admission as state schools save the largest number of seats for their state residents.

You don't need to take ecology unless it's required for your degree. If you want all prereqs so you can apply to most schools make sure to have biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, microbiology (+phys 1&2, gen chem 1/2 and ochem1/2). Which it seems you plan on doing. Do note however that those are a lot of tough classes. If able to spread out some it might be wise. If you can apply the following year, use this year to gain volunteer experience and participate in student clubs to gain some leadership, I think it will make you a much more desirable candidate than applying right now. I feel that if you apply now, you could be hurting yourself by getting into an extremely expensive private school when you could wait a year and get into your much cheaper state school.

From an admissions standpoint, I think that they will see your app and look at it and just think "This student is very strong academically, but what else do they bring to our class? No volunteer work showing humility for those less fortunate or giving back to the community, no extracurriculars to show some leadership experience or working with others in a different field, no research to show critical scientific experience and how the scientific process works..." With dental schools being a holistic review, I just don't think you'd pass it with what you are showing here. I really think waiting one more year to build up your app will have you facing much more success. (you don't need research, it helps an application but it's not a requirement. It might however make up for the lack of extracurriculars if you're putting in a lot of hours every week (I was doing ~20 hours of research a week, not a lot of extracurriculars). But it won't make up for volunteer work)

I am not trying to bash you in any way, I'm just trying to get you to zoom out here, take a breath, and just try to see the big picture. You don't want to be a reapplicant, you'll be held to even higher standards and expectations from the previous cycle. It's better to build the best application and apply once you're ready.

Wow, I kind of figured but did not know age would be such of disadvantage but I guess it makes sense cause it's probably better to accept more mature applicants that have good stats as well. I actually just took the DAT recently and got a 22 AA and thought that I have a pretty good chance but I guess not. Is it possible that you could share with me a list like this for other dental schools? Thank you
please do your own research...

Personally, I think you should take your time and give yourself another year before applying. This is why:
1. you have zero volunteer hours. You can't beat around that bush, you have to have something. Food pantry, soup kitchen, etc. Just need to build hours. Applying with zero is a recipe for disaster. Schools/adcoms won't see the humanity side in you, only academics. You also have zero extracurriculars, which I don't think is as bad, but it stands out as you are only focussing on academics. You should also be aiming to have ~100 shadowing hours to cover bases for all schools. Some require 30, some 50/60, 80, or 100. Having more will also let you explain procedures and have a better understanding of how a practice functions. It will also help admissions in that you're showing them you've committed time to a field you want to pursue and have thought deeply about it.

2. You're young, while being young doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, the average age for a D1 student is 23. Folks younger do get in, but you need to make sure you display a level of maturity concurrent with being a professional student, and being a freshman they will test that in the interviews.

3. Not having a degree will severely limit you to where you can apply. Your In State school is your best chance for admission as state schools save the largest number of seats for their state residents.

You don't need to take ecology unless it's required for your degree. If you want all prereqs so you can apply to most schools make sure to have biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, microbiology (+phys 1&2, gen chem 1/2 and ochem1/2). Which it seems you plan on doing. Do note however that those are a lot of tough classes. If able to spread out some it might be wise. If you can apply the following year, use this year to gain volunteer experience and participate in student clubs to gain some leadership, I think it will make you a much more desirable candidate than applying right now. I feel that if you apply now, you could be hurting yourself by getting into an extremely expensive private school when you could wait a year and get into your much cheaper state school.

From an admissions standpoint, I think that they will see your app and look at it and just think "This student is very strong academically, but what else do they bring to our class? No volunteer work showing humility for those less fortunate or giving back to the community, no extracurriculars to show some leadership experience or working with others in a different field, no research to show critical scientific experience and how the scientific process works..." With dental schools being a holistic review, I just don't think you'd pass it with what you are showing here. I really think waiting one more year to build up your app will have you facing much more success. (you don't need research, it helps an application but it's not a requirement. It might however make up for the lack of extracurriculars if you're putting in a lot of hours every week (I was doing ~20 hours of research a week, not a lot of extracurriculars). But it won't make up for volunteer work)

I am not trying to bash you in any way, I'm just trying to get you to zoom out here, take a breath, and just try to see the big picture. You don't want to be a reapplicant, you'll be held to even higher standards and expectations from the previous cycle. It's better to build the best application and apply once you're ready.
fully agree with ryxn, as usual...

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at UU d school or Roseman d school?

I had a similar path as well. I graduated hs with my associate and spent most of my time studying for good grades and DAT. The thing is though I had a good amount of volunteering hours and I took 2 gap years where I worked as a DA. I just got into indiana this cycle and they have an avg of 19 AA DAT, so it's definitely worth looking into, but ultimately you'll have to get those volunteering hours. Message me if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to help!

there is just almost no time.
Congrats on the DAT result!

There is always time, but you have to manage your life so that you have time. This is a marathon and not a sprint. You don't get bonus points for getting to the finish line first if your application is sub-par. You already identified your red flags, and chances are most evaluators will notice them too.

I wrote:
You need to know you want to be a dentist BEFORE you spend the energy on the DAT. You have three years for the scores to remain valid, and I would hate to have to lose an application because you have no dental experience (you should count your 200 hours as a DA) or community service. What is your plan on this?

I'll back up everyone's opinions on this. The description reads that you are a bookworm and monster when it comes to the classroom. But by not having involvement with campus activities or with your community, I start wondering if you can fit with a community of mostly older (than you), mature students and faculty who are under the same stresss as you as a future dentist. Because of your small class size compared to your undergrad time, you will be expected to take part in multiple service opportunities and get involved with service and school specialty interest groups and keep on top of your hand skills.

Not even the students I have worked with in accelerated pathways try to shorten their timeline (though the stakes are different).

Research isn't a requirement for getting into dental school, but it can help you with many of the schools you are shooting for, especially if you ultimately have your eyes set on certain competitive specialties where research is expected to complete your training.

Tuition is also not a joke. No one should rush to be burdened with a $500K+ debt willingly.

From an admissions standpoint, I think that they will see your app and look at it and just think "This student is very strong academically, but what else do they bring to our class? No volunteer work showing humility for those less fortunate or giving back to the community, no extracurriculars to show some leadership experience or working with others in a different field, no research to show critical scientific experience and how the scientific process works..."
This.

Big Hoss