Dental Residencies in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all ,

Can anyone provide information about Dental residency programs in Canada ?
Are those programs only held in Universities like The University of Alberta , Toronto , Western Ontario , Dalhousie , British Columbia ...etc , or do hospitals have their own dental residency programs ?
Any information , web links , contacts and experiences would be greatly appreciated ..
Thanks a lot .

Members don't see this ad.

Shiko said:
Hi all ,

Can anyone provide information about Dental residency programs in Canada ?
Are those programs only held in Universities like The University of Alberta , Toronto , Western Ontario , Dalhousie , British Columbia ...etc , or do hospitals have their own dental residency programs ?
Any information , web links , contacts and experiences would be greatly appreciated ..
Thanks a lot .

My classmate went up to McGill University for his residency. They've got a bunch of programs, from what I've heard all are top notch. The one at the children's hospital is a feeder program for pedo and ortho all over Canada and the U.S.
http://www.mcgill.ca/dentistry/multitrain/
I believe Toronto has several residencies as well (http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/graduate/residency.html).
Those two are the most "American-friendly" schools, but i'm sure others accept americans and internationals as well, to a lesser degree.

I believe all are associated with universities - there are several hospital based ones, but the programs are administered and run by university faculty.
i'm not going to bother with all the links dude, just google dental residency with any university name and you'll get more info than you need.
hope it helps......where are all the canucks out there?????

Thanks a lot Molarama , Yup that helped a lot ... At least I know where to start now :)
I just checked Mcgill and Toronto , the bad news is I'M MISSING DEADLINES here :(( I hope I have better luck with the rest of the programs ..

One more question here : Have you heard of observerships In dental schools ? like is there an organized program or position known as "Observer" ?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
Shiko said:
Thanks a lot Molarama , Yup that helped a lot ... At least I know where to start now :)
I just checked Mcgill and Toronto , the bad news is I'M MISSING DEADLINES here :(( I hope I have better luck with the rest of the programs ..

One more question here : Have you heard of observerships In dental schools ? like is there an organized program or position known as "Observer" ?

Thanks a lot

You need to contact the program directors and ask if you can Observe. what specialty are u looking towards?

jiggapigga said:
You need to contact the program directors and ask if you can Observe. what specialty are u looking towards?

Endodontics is number 1 for me , but GP would be great too ..
i've searched most of the residency programs in Canada , and the common requirement for all of them is to complete the Qualifying program and get your NDBE done then you can apply to the residency ..

Shiko said:
Endodontics is number 1 for me , but GP would be great too ..
i've searched most of the residency programs in Canada , and the common requirement for all of them is to complete the Qualifying program and get your NDBE done then you can apply to the residency ..

well yea, assuming u ddin't graduate from a cda approved school

jiggapigga said:
well yea, assuming u ddin't graduate from a cda approved school

Yeah , I graduated from a dental school outside Canada .
Residencies are available in the states for foreign trained dentists , I am not sure if there's any place in Canada that offers the same thing ?

Shiko said:
Yeah , I graduated from a dental school outside Canada .
Residencies are available in the states for foreign trained dentists , I am not sure if there's any place in Canada that offers the same thing ?

I don't know the exact source for this, but I think you need to have graduated from a Canadian or US accredited school before you get accepted to a dental residency in Canada.

I graduated from a school outside of US and Canada, too. Are you applying to the QP (Qualifying Program)? Have you taken the EE (Eligibility Exam) yet? How was it (the EE)? I'm planning to take the EE and apply to QP.