Dental experience vs dental shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishbonez

Reaction score
Hi! This may seem like an easy question and has been answered multiple times, but for the life of me I can’t find an answer.
As I look at dental schools that I want to apply to and those with shadowing requirements, schools like NYU and BU, have a 100 hour shadowing requirement.

Most of my clinical hours are primarily dental assisting and volunteer work at free dental clinics. I have ~350 in dental assisting/volunteer work, which I know is dental experience, but only 50-75 hours in solely dental shadowing.
Is there like some automatic denial to my application, since I do not have 100+ pure shadowing hours? How would schools like NYU view me in that sense..?
Due to corona, I would have more shadowing and assisting hours (I have started my Junior year), but offices were closed.

Also, when I complete my ADEA application would it be wise to include the ~200 some hours from high school where I was a volunteer lead organizing free dental clinics? I still volunteer now, but only at the clinics every four months. My timeline for that would technically be from 2016-present day...

Thanks so much :):

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dental assisting is pretty much shadowing. Just put down how much of 350 hours was considered shadowing (interacting with the dentist) and have him/her sign off on it. I would put down the highschool activities as well if it is related to dentistry.