Demand of various subspecialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people with recent experience job hunting, what are the pros/cons of using a recruiter vs applying to jobs listed on the AAO job board vs cold calling practices?

Members don't see this ad.

For me personally, I’d rather get someone through word of mouth. Cold calling a practice is not bad form, especially if you have a reason to be interested in that particular practice (familiar location, family nearby, etc…).

As far as recruiters are concerned, I don’t believe you (the candidate) would need to go that route. There are so many jobs available. Practices, on the other hand, do occasionally need to use the services of a recruiter, and this is for the same reason……there are many more jobs available than there are warm bodies available to fill them

Reactions: 1 user
how much do practices pay recruiters?

Members don't see this ad :)
For people with recent experience job hunting, what are the pros/cons of using a recruiter vs applying to jobs listed on the AAO job board vs cold calling practices?
In my experience, the jobs that require recruiters to get candidates aren't ideal jobs...either the 1. practices are completely out of touch with the broader ophtho community, don't go to meetings and have lost their contacts 2. Not in an ideal location 3. Have strange contract stipulations/practice setups that you don't find out about until after the interview process 4. Not well run practices.

The best ophtho jobs are word of mouth I would say, next the organization websites. Nothing wrong with cold calling practices, although this puts you at a negotiation disadvantage

Reactions: 2 users
how much do practices pay recruiters?
A high five, low five, and a woogidy...

I'm happy to share with those interested in sending me a direct message but not publicly given I do have competitors on here.

I know there are quite a few lurkers to this forum in training. Is there anything that a resident could think about more or do before deciding to go into fellowship to get an idea of how it really is?

I think this would be good information to get out as glaucoma fellowship is growing in popularity but so are the number of glaucoma surgeons stopping the traditional glaucoma surgeries. I interviewed 4 under 5 years of experience considering stopping in the last year.
It helps if you have practicing glaucoma attending in private practice, you can get a good sense of what 5, 10, and 15 years out in practice looks like. It is also true for other subspecialties of ophthalmology. If you don't like what they are doing or saying about the field then have a solid discussion to know if it is what you want to do.

I always wondered this... What if neuro-ophthalmologists created a cash-only/fee for service private practice? The wait times to get an appointment with neuro-ops is many months and I do think that patients will be will to pay cash for a visit. It may not be that ethical, but it is also really unfair that insurance companies continuously give abysmal reimbursements to these small niche specialties when there is such a high demand! Neuro-ops are very intelligent and hard-working and I believe they deserve to get reimbursed better (I am not a neuro-oph)... It is similar situation to psychiatrists setting up their own cash practices because insurances reimburse them poorly as well.
Seems like a fair question. What prevents neuro-ophthalmologists from charging cash and refusing Medicare insurance, if they're so high in demand?

Seems like a fair question. What prevents neuro-ophthalmologists from charging cash and refusing Medicare insurance, if they're so high in demand?
the patients aren't wealthy.

I would definitely do this if I was a neuroophthalmologist or pediatric/strab physician. It's so hard to find these doctors, that I think a boutique/cash-only practice could actually work.

I would definitely do this if I was a neuroophthalmologist or pediatric/strab physician. It's so hard to find these doctors, that I think a boutique/cash-only practice could actually work.
Neuro needs a very large population base to stay busy, and who is paying cash to be told they often don’t have a treatment option?

A big portion of Peds patients are Medicaid, so how are you going to make cash work?

I agree both specialties book way out and need more providers, but the economics don’t work.

Because many people will revolt if they might have to pay a $40 copay let alone full cash for an exam.

Neuro needs a very large population base to stay busy, and who is paying cash to be told they often don’t have a treatment option?

A big portion of Peds patients are Medicaid, so how are you going to make cash work?

I agree both specialties book way out and need more providers, but the economics don’t work.
I think it would have to cater to high-income populations (e.g. Manhattan, Bay Area) who will pay thousands just to be seen and don't perceive thousands to be that much money. I definitely think it could work in some populations (and if there was little similar competition). Worth a shot versus being a slave at an academic center.

We have a "neuro optometrist" nearby who is quite busy with their cash only practice. They are fairly competent with their medical recommendations and do great prisms. They also do some vision therapy and their patients seem to love them. I much prefer sending neuro patients to them over the remaining neuro ophthalmologists who themselves have delegated consults to their own optometrists. Most patients will refuse to pay cash if there is an "option" that their insurance "covers."

Reactions: 1 users