Delirium/Dementia vs Delusional disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nexus73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting case and would appreciate some thoughts.

87-year-old female, lives alone. History breast cancer, Stage 3 CKD, hypothyroid (admit TSH 12, T4 0.9 which is low end normal), HLD, Paroxysmal Afib (current EKG sinus), glaucoma.

Admitted with 1-2 months persecutory delusions someone is trespassing on her property and trying to break in. Has guns at home to defend herself. Police have been called several times by her and brought her to ED because there are no signs of trespassers and she has guns saying she would shoot people on her property. (Admitted to medicine due to mild UTI and AKI)

No psych history, no drugs/alcohol. 30 years smoking history quit 1985. Brain MRI shows small vessel ischemic change, mild cerebral atrophy, otherwise normal.

She's had a few UTIs over the last 2-3 months. UAs in October and early/mid-December strongly convincing for UTI, with Large LE and high WBCs, low squamous. Received ABx to treat.

On admission UA was not very impressive, but abnormal, small LE with 14 WBC. Cr was bumped from baseline of 1.25 to 1.65, so acute on chronic kidney insufficiency believed to be pre renal from mild dehydration. She was admitted to medicine. Creatinine normalized in 2 days to baseline with IV fluids.

Also she takes Tylenol PM to sleep every night, so gets 25 mg Benadryl consistently. Otherwise no home meds concerning for Ach activity, opioids, or benzos.

Has supportive neighbors but no family. There was a burglary in the neighborhood about 2 months ago which increased her anxiety enough she bought a security system with cameras. She's been "seeing" people on the cameras, but when she shows neighbors there's nothing of concern in the image. Seems this aligns with onset of symptoms, as do UTIs.

She is well oriented. Full date, city, hospital. Is able to say that what she's telling the doctors sounds crazy but she knows it's true. She's been calling a lawyer friend to ask for advice, and his advice is to not tell doctors there are intruders to avoid mental health commitment, but she keeps saying it anyways (and tells us she's been calling a lawyer, can't keep secrets). She demonstrates no waxing/waning of attention. Does not appear delirious. Something like La belle indifference is present where she expresses desire to return home, but remains exceedingly pleasant and makes no demands to leave. (Currently on mental health hold pending county eval).

In the hospital patient has "seen" bird seed on the floor, and a garden on the roof outside her room window, she would call for nurses to show them but when they arrive it is gone. She half accuses the nurses of moving the items/garden.

MoCA 22/30. She is highly educated, graduated from well-regarded undergrad, taught business and tech class at college level for decades.

Hospitalist wonder if this is delusional disorder and thinks transfer to inpatient psych. Psychiatry thinks combination of cognitive impairment plus acute medical issues (UTI, AKI), more likely explanation and could clear with time. What do you think diagnostically?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
My bet is on the uti causing it. Not sure what the mechanism is but have seen it many times in the elderly. The aging brain just seems very sensitive to delirium. Also, I think the recogniton that it sounds crazy argues against delusional disorder. I bet she clears up in a couple of days. If you could see her in her own home environment without illness she is probably functioning pretty well for her age.

This is one of those case where it won't quite become apparent until later. I think you have to assume that the UTIs are relevant and there is a component of delirium. If the MRI is read correctly, it does not sound like she has significant cerebrovascular disease or changes associated with Alzheimer's. There could be a component of synucleopathy (i.e. DLB) which would explain the visual hallucinations. There are several pathologies now associated with behavioral and cognitive changes in the oldest old, including PART (primary age related tauopathy) and argyrophilic grain disease. These are pathological diagnoses typically confirmed at autopsy.

While late paraphrenia can certainly occur at this age, a MoCA of 22/30 in someone with her level of education is indicative of some cognitive impairment. In the hospital setting with recent UTIs, you can't be sure what's going on. She needs to be followed up as an outpatient, consider neuropsych testing as an outpatient. Consider if she has any visual or hearing impairments contributing. Consider a sleep study or DaTScan if concerns for DLB (remember 25% of cases never have parkinsonism and lewy body pathology often co-occurs with tauopathies). Would definitely want her off the benadryl. Can consider a trial of donepezil (again as an outpatient) or low dose neuroleptic.

Even if she had a delusional disorder, this would not typically prompt a psychiatric admission. Have the police remove her guns.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of those case where it won't quite become apparent until later. I think you have to assume that the UTIs are relevant and there is a component of delirium. If the MRI is read correctly, it does not sound like she has significant cerebrovascular disease or changes associated with Alzheimer's. There could be a component of synucleopathy (i.e. DLB) which would explain the visual hallucinations. There are several pathologies now associated with behavioral and cognitive changes in the oldest old, including PART (primary age related tauopathy) and argyrophilic grain disease. These are pathological diagnoses typically confirmed at autopsy.

While late paraphrenia can certainly occur at this age, a MoCA of 22/30 in someone with her level of education is indicative of some cognitive impairment. In the hospital setting with recent UTIs, you can't be sure what's going on. She needs to be followed up as an outpatient, consider neuropsych testing as an outpatient. Consider if she has any visual or hearing impairments contributing. Consider a sleep study or DaTScan if concerns for DLB (remember 25% of cases never have parkinsonism and lewy body pathology often co-occurs with tauopathies). Would definitely want her off the benadryl. Can consider a trial of donepezil (again as an outpatient) or low dose neuroleptic.

Even if she had a delusional disorder, this would not typically prompt a psychiatric admission. Have the police remove her guns.

Not really, when you look at community based norms (e.g., Rosetti et al). The rough norms of the MoCA forms vastly overestimate cognitive impairment in the 75+ crowd.

Obviously I agree with everything Splik is saying regarding longitudinal followup as the best diagnostic standpoint. I also agree that there's no obvious reason to hold this person involuntarily. Everyone who owns guns for self defense would protect themselves. People with this level of confusion and psychotic symptoms probably should hand the guns over to a family member or at least not have them in the home.

I also want to emphasize the importance of (outpatient) assessment of hearing and especially vision. Seeing bird seed on the ground sounds more like an ocular pathology (blood in the eyes looks rather granular, for example).

I didn't know about what Wisneuro is saying and I'm curious to hear more. Is a 23/30 really not considered abnormal for a college educated person? Since they're said to be fully oriented then they either seem to have a major visuospatial defect, memory troubles, executive dysfunction, or attention problem. From a numbers standpoint it would have to be multiple of those in order to add up to 7 missed points, right?

I admit that I don't know anywhere near as much as either of them on interpreting MOCAs though, since if I had a question beyond starting Aricept I would be referring to someone like them.

Obviously I agree with everything Splik is saying regarding longitudinal followup as the best diagnostic standpoint. I also agree that there's no obvious reason to hold this person involuntarily. Everyone who owns guns for self defense would protect themselves. People with this level of confusion and psychotic symptoms probably should hand the guns over to a family member or at least not have them in the home.

I also want to emphasize the importance of (outpatient) assessment of hearing and especially vision. Seeing bird seed on the ground sounds more like an ocular pathology (blood in the eyes looks rather granular, for example).

I didn't know about what Wisneuro is saying and I'm curious to hear more. Is a 23/30 really not considered abnormal for a college educated person? Since they're said to be fully oriented then they either seem to have a major visuospatial defect, memory troubles, executive dysfunction, or attention problem. From a numbers standpoint it would have to be multiple of those in order to add up to 7 missed points, right?

I admit that I don't know anywhere near as much as either of them on interpreting MOCAs though, since if I had a question beyond starting Aricept I would be referring to someone like them.

A 23 in say, a 40 year old, college educated person would be considered abnormal. However, that same score would fall within a standard deviation of a 71+ educated sample. There are more community norms, and meta-analyses now that strongly suggest that the Nasreddin norms are too stringent for an older population. It's still fine, as you'd likely want to maximize sensitivity as a screening instrument so that they can be more thoroughly evaluated. But, that is not necessarily an abnormal score for someone that old, even with high education.

Yeah I agree even if this was delusional disorder, transferring to inpatient would not benefit the patient in any way. I have a few 70s+ patients with delusional disorder. They have no other symptoms of psychosis though (no VH like you mentioned). They are fairly functional and maybe have some improvement with low dose SGA but i dont see a reason to load them with a higher dose as they have had this delusion for years and i dont see it being overly responsive to medication. So sending someone inpatient for this, i doubt they would cure if it was delusional disorder so there woudlnt be an objective/point. Sounds like they just want an easy dispo plan.

My suspicion is dementia based upon VH, moca score, and just the overall presentation. She may of had symptoms earlier and they were missed.

She's off the Benadryl now (Hospital day #6).

With UTI, AKI, elderly, lower MoCA, I'm thinking this is some kind of cognitive/delirium presentation.

The aspects making it hard for me are that history indicates relatively intact daily functioning prior to admission, with delusions as primary symptom causing worry for others. She is not delirious. MoCA is low but not really that low.

Do we ever see isolated psychosis from UTI without the waxing/waning for delirium?

A 23 in say, a 40 year old, college educated person would be considered abnormal. However, that same score would fall within a standard deviation of a 71+ educated sample. There are more community norms, and meta-analyses now that strongly suggest that the Nasreddin norms are too stringent for an older population. It's still fine, as you'd likely want to maximize sensitivity as a screening instrument so that they can be more thoroughly evaluated. But, that is not necessarily an abnormal score for someone that old, even with high education.

Is this attributed largely to age related cognitive decline?

She's off the Benadryl now (Hospital day #6).

With UTI, AKI, elderly, lower MoCA, I'm thinking this is some kind of cognitive/delirium presentation.

The aspects making it hard for me are that history indicates relatively intact daily functioning prior to admission, with delusions as primary symptom causing worry for others. She is not delirious. MoCA is low but not really that low.

Do we ever see isolated psychosis from UTI without the waxing/waning for delirium?
It's not unusual for specific delusions to be a presenting symptom of dementias. Since those patients also are more vulnerable to delirium there are often contributors to both. But overall the picture is quite consistent with dementia.

It can be helpful to try and get extremely granular on the community function if you can. Some of these people are allegedly independent in the community--then turns out they no longer clean their house, they're eating all their meals out of cans, and they haven't paid their bills. Oops in retrospect the cognitive decline started a while ago. All collateral is not created equal--the child who talks to mom once a week on the phone will have a total different picture from one who lives next door and has been in the house every few days.

Have seen multiple pts develop persistent delusions due to dementia, most often LBD. Most frequent seems to be delusions that their spouse is cheating on them. Very difficult to manage and devastating to the spouse.

Getting any guns out of the situation is probably the single most important modifiable safety factor. I agree a psychiatric hosp seems low yield.

Reactions: 3 users

I wonder about the accuracy of reports of prior functioning unless from a housemate who is a reliable historian.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Is this attributed largely to age related cognitive decline?

Yes, pretty big effect of age, especially after you hit 70. Education attenuates that effect a little but, but the average for 70+in community samples is under the manual cutoffs. So, you are e3ssentially over-pathologizing older folks by using those norms. Granted, people need to remember that this is still only a screener. Way too many people making diagnoses based off MoCA scores. Plenty of demented folks with MoCA >25, and many normal folks <24.

Reactions: 1 users
Delirium can persist for weeks, sometimes months in an elderly patient following infection. A UTI along with dehydration and AKI and no psych history at 87, it's more than likely from persistent/chronic UTIs. Especially if symptoms align with infections. MRI indicates atrophy/SVD could be indicative of dementia (vascular vs Alzheimers) but it is tough to say without good collateral and knowing her baseline. Would not admit this patient to psych. Could try low-dose, short term antipsychotic while in the hospital, regulate sleep wake cycle, delirium precautions etc... I would have social work also look into her living situation, she may not be able to care for herself at home.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, pretty big effect of age, especially after you hit 70. Education attenuates that effect a little but, but the average for 70+in community samples is under the manual cutoffs. So, you are e3ssentially over-pathologizing older folks by using those norms. Granted, people need to remember that this is still only a screener. Way too many people making diagnoses based off MoCA scores. Plenty of demented folks with MoCA >25, and many normal folks <24.
Thanks! Based off your experience and read of the literature, can healthy lifestyle significantly mitigate this or does this come down to luck?

Thanks! Based off your experience and read of the literature, can healthy lifestyle significantly mitigate this or does this come down to luck?

Modifiable risk factors for cognitive decline (e.g., diet, exercise, mental stimulation hearing loss to some extent, etc) contribute a good deal of variance for general decline and typical dementia. There are some genetic influences, but they are smaller than people think for typical dementia. But, for things like early onset AD, or other genetic conditions (CADASIL), lifestyle, while important for quality of life, won't do a whole lot to modify the onset and decline.

Reactions: 1 users
Modifiable risk factors for cognitive decline (e.g., diet, exercise, mental stimulation hearing loss to some extent, etc) contribute a good deal of variance for general decline and typical dementia. There are some genetic influences, but they are smaller than people think for typical dementia. But, for things like early onset AD, or other genetic conditions (CADASIL), lifestyle, while important for quality of life, won't do a whole lot to modify the onset and decline.
Let's not forget medications as a modifiable factor for cognitive impairment! So many people with high anticholinergic burden and/or benzos...

Let's not forget medications as a modifiable factor for cognitive impairment! So many people with high anticholinergic burden and/or benzos...

Definitely, I see a lot of people with decently high anticholinergic burden. I was commenting more on the non-medical factors. Still see a lot of oxybutynin on board and people taking tylenol PM nightly as a sleep aid. As for the benzos, just the other day I had a smaller older lady (~100 pounds) tell me that she was on a "tiny dose" of xanax, .5mg 3x/day, and she doubted that was having any impact on her cognition.

do you think watching David Lynch movies would make dementia better or worse? Might exacerbate delirium?

Definitely, I see a lot of people with decently high anticholinergic burden. I was commenting more on the non-medical factors. Still see a lot of oxybutynin on board and people taking tylenol PM nightly as a sleep aid. As for the benzos, just the other day I had a smaller older lady (~100 pounds) tell me that she was on a "tiny dose" of xanax, .5mg 3x/day, and she doubted that was having any impact on her cognition.
I mean 0.5 mg TID is a pretty low dose..