Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GatsbysBatman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated with psych BS 10 years ago with like 3.8 gpa (maybe higher for just sGPA) but I never took chemistry and physics courses. However, I just graduated with a PhD in Neuroscience (computational); 3.7gpa cause I got a B in two classes the first year. I just took Chem I and II (with lab) online at UCSD ext. and currently taking Ochem w/ lab online. Planning to take biochem online after and then MCAT prep. Undecided but will take physics I online (with lab) before or after MCAT prep. Will apply to schools before committing to physics II. Goal is to apply 2023 cycle.

My logic is that a program will evaluate my application and notice I have a PhD, years of outreach, shadowing, Clinical paid work, and ideally a stellar mcat score so that programs understand that taking courses online now was the only way I could work full time and complete the pre-reqs. It's almost crazy to imagine a school telling me "despite a PhD and getting great MCAT, you took chem I online and we don't like that." but at the same time, academia can be a stubborn institution.

My question is, how much of an issue do you suspect I will run into during applications? Other than telling me to contact admins, does anyone have success/horror stories to share? I am aiming for top programs across east and west coast (UCs, NYU, Columbia, etc) and most of the admins say "case by case at time of application review" which is such a gamble, or "we have recommended but not required courses" for pre-reqs. Columbia did say 10 years or earlier courses don't count but that "case-by-case" will be considered for post-PhD applicants.

edit: I did look at CC options but only found courses online or with times like 8am-12pm for a class which is not possible with a full time job.
As someone in your exact shoes I have found these top schools pretty non trad unfriendly and somewhat uncaring. I received a pretty condescending email from Penn’s assistant dental dean saying pretty much they only want students with in person classes. When I responded I work full time and that’s not possible they pretty much hinted that I’m sol.

My advice would be to find a local college by you that offers online classes. Most schools don’t put on the transcript that the class was online. And since the school is local it won’t raise red flags.

I know for a fact most DO schools will take online classes and labs.

Best of luck.

As someone in your exact shoes I have found these top schools pretty non trad unfriendly and somewhat uncaring. I received a pretty condescending email from Penn’s assistant dental dean saying pretty much they only want students with in person classes. When I responded I work full time and that’s not possible they pretty much hinted that I’m sol.

My advice would be to find a local college by you that offers online classes. Most schools don’t put on the transcript that the class was online. And since the school is local it won’t raise red flags.

I know for a fact most DO schools will take online classes and labs.

Best of luck.
:bigtears:

I graduated with psych BS 10 years ago with like 3.8 gpa (maybe higher for just sGPA) but I never took chemistry and physics courses. However, I just graduated with a PhD in Neuroscience (computational); 3.7gpa cause I got a B in two classes the first year. I just took Chem I and II (with lab) online at UCSD ext. and currently taking Ochem w/ lab online. Planning to take biochem online after and then MCAT prep. Undecided but will take physics I online (with lab) before or after MCAT prep. Will apply to schools before committing to physics II. Goal is to apply 2023 cycle.

My logic is that a program will evaluate my application and notice I have a PhD, years of outreach, shadowing, Clinical paid work, and ideally a stellar mcat score so that programs understand that taking courses online now was the only way I could work full time and complete the pre-reqs. It's almost crazy to imagine a school telling me "despite a PhD and getting great MCAT, you took chem I online and we don't like that." but at the same time, academia can be a stubborn institution.

My question is, how much of an issue do you suspect I will run into during applications? Other than telling me to contact admins, does anyone have success/horror stories to share? I am aiming for top programs across east and west coast (UCs, NYU, Columbia, etc) and most of the admins say "case by case at time of application review" which is such a gamble, or "we have recommended but not required courses" for pre-reqs. Columbia did say 10 years or earlier courses don't count but that "case-by-case" will be considered for post-PhD applicants.

edit: I did look at CC options but only found courses online or with times like 8am-12pm for a class which is not possible with a full time job.
My logic is that a program will evaluate my application and notice I have a PhD
A PhD is NOT a requirement for medical school so it gives you no extra points compared to someone who does not have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.