Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medme32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and say that while a 1st author publication may be "guaranteed" the timeline can be more open ended so you may not have your manuscript accepted before the end of the year. Also publications, esp those at big name journals take forever.

Next as a med student - esp one that isn't interested in doing hardcore research - having ANY publication is fine (1st, 2nd, etc). Unless you're gunning for a top MD/PhD I would say go for whatever opportunity you feel will open the most doors when application time roles around.

Overall as long as you're intellectually contributing to the project and can speak on your achievements with intelligence and ownership, either option will be fine. IMO Amgen is a pretty well known competitive thing for med school so I'd lean that way but either is fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess this depends on what you're trying to get out of the experience. If the goal is mainly to beef up your application, then I would probably pick Amgen as the name, social connections at with faculty and peers, etc. are valuable. It's great that the second option may make you more likely to publish but like @eteshoe said, publications are not guaranteed, and even if you get the data for one, timelines are often uncertain. The other factor I would consider is how good of a mentor the PIs are, if you have any insight on that, and which research topics you are more interested in.

Reactions: 1 users