MD deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

callmedoctor2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a fellow med student finishing ms3. good job on the research, keep it up. Stay involved with the ortho department. That is probably the most important part of your app that you can work on as m1-m2.

The other thing is to study hard. Pre-clinical ranking doesn’t matter, but your knowledge base will when it comes to step 2 and shelf exams. And those will still be very (maybe more?) important now that step 1 will be P/F.

Overall, looks like you’ve done a good job so far. Keep your eyes open for the other specialties in case you change your mind. And don’t forget to take care of yourself, since being a decent person is important for both living… and clinical evals lol

Do NOT underestimate the importance of strong letters of recommendation. Try to build strong relationships with well-recognized surgeons in the ortho community who can write those letters. They should know you well, so the letters are not generic in nature.

Sounds like you’re doing very well so far. Definitely don’t worry about coming off as a gunner - I promise everyone else is thinking along the same lines. I remember meeting with the AOA faculty counselor near the start of M1 to ask about selection so I could strategize appropriately. I thought I was the only one but discovered at least 20 classmates had already been through his office asking the same thing! Nothing wrong with being proactive.

A few thoughts:

1) consider dropping the non Ortho research unless it’s intimately related to Ortho and involves an Ortho faculty member. Research is one path to getting stronger letters so don’t waste time on projects that won’t generate stronger letters from key faculty. Just not worth it.

2) obviously step 2 is going to be critical. A big part of this is a strong foundation from step 1. Make sure you give it due attention even though it’s p/f. It will help you on shelf exams and on step 2.

3) strategize your M3 such that you know when you’re going to study for step 2. You’re going to want to take it early enough to get a score back in time for programs to see it and you’re going to want time to prep for what will likely be a high stakes exam. You are also going to need to figure out timing for your sub-I and any away rotations. Depending on your school’s schedule, this can get very tight. My school finished M3 at the end of June, apps are visible to programs in late September. That’s basically 2-3 months. One of those will need to be a sub I, so really 1-2 months for everything else. I think you can ease things a bit if you end M3 on easier rotations so you can use that time for step2 study.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.