Delayed Sleep-Wake Phase Disorder and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbr5353

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Third year medical student, intending to apply IM. I really enjoy seeing patients and rounding, but the start times have been difficult all year. It isn't the total hours, and I can switch into night shifts and not be fatigued at all. I've tried some of the recommended lifestyle adjustments, but not yet melatonin or bright light therapy. This is also long standing as I've gravitated towards the night shift in previous careers. I'm aware there is demand for nocturnists, but I'm concerned about getting through residency, which I know is tiring no matter what, but I want to feel the passion I know I can have for medicine; it's just hard for me to access it in the early AM. I'm wondering if there are residencies that have a later shift change, or the ability to opt for more night shifts. I'm also at a school in a very gray and northern part of the country, and have a worse time with this through the winter. I'm wondering if mentioning the issue in the ERAS supplemental would be a good idea in applying to more southern locations with more consistent day length, but I'm afraid it may read to RDs as a red flag. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.