definition of a gunner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dominate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read the reference to "gunners" on SDN many times and I am not exactly sure what they are. Are they the people that would sell you out to get one point higher on an exam?

Members don't see this ad.

wow....i always called myself a gunner, but man, that description on wiki completely changed the meaning i had originally.....i therefore wont call myself gunner from now on. haha thanks for the link :D

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the link tideleonheart. I guess I'm not the only one who didn't know what it means.

Wrong. I do not think my class has even one gunner. We are free of gunner-rhea!!

You see, this means you've got a super gunner or two on your hands. He/she is so good that you can't identify them. Kinda scary that some are that good at it!! :eek:

You see, this means you've got a super gunner or two on your hands. He/she is so good that you can't identify them. Kinda scary that some are that good at it!! :eek:

That would be a sniper.

That would be a sniper. Or a ninja. Or a ninja sniper.

The thing I dislike about gunners is not that they want to do well. I can respect that.

I hate gunners because of their non-coperation.

Here's a promise I'll make to my future PCOM students. I encourage other's to take the same oath.

I promise:

(1) to let anyone use my notes if it at all helps, like if you miss lessons.

(2) to inform everyone if I find out an important tidbit about the exam and not keep it to myself.

(3) that one of my greatest desires is to be a physician, but I won't throw you or anyone else under the tyres to get there

Look forward to seeing you all very soon! :)

The thing I dislike about gunners is not that they want to do well. I can respect that.

I hate gunners because of their non-coperation.

Here's a promise I'll make to my future PCOM students. I encourage other's to take the same oath.

I promise:

(1) to let anyone use my notes if it at all helps, like if you miss lessons.

(2) to inform everyone if I find out an important tidbit about the exam and not keep it to myself.

(3) that one of my greatest desires is to be a physician, but I won't throw you or anyone else under the tyres to get there

Look forward to seeing you all very soon! :)

I love how they are so set on doing anything they can to beat curves and be the top that they do things that make no ****ing sense. Like not helping someone in a straight curve class simply because you are programmed not to, or not telling one person one tidbit of information because you think it will make the SLIGHTEST bit of difference in your score. God ... I seriously feel like I go to school with 10k gunners.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to try reverse-gunning. Help everyone do well. Except for the gunners.

I'm a gunner's gunner.

hmmm...reverse gunner. I like it. Guess that would be a rennug.

Gunners come out most strongly during audition rotations. I know this from experience. Usually is semi-passive as in, oops, didnt know I ****ed you, but I DID

Gunners aren't always the smartest ones but appears to be.

Gunners, per the House of God, are those living in a state of perpetual fear that some dolt, in a moment of random non-reproducible genius, will outshine them, and consequently work harder than the average student to keep those opportunities at a minimum.

Gunners aren't always the smartest ones but appears to be.

I agree with that and I actually have some respect for the gunners because they are scoring at the top of the class purely off hard work. I once thought i was a gunner until i read what the definition was. I guess im just overly competitive. One thing I have noticed is that the gunners seem to match in the highly competitive specialties

I agree with that and I actually have some respect for the gunners because they are scoring at the top of the class purely off hard work. I once thought i was a gunner until i read what the definition was. I guess im just overly competitive. One thing I have noticed is that the gunners seem to match in the highly competitive specialties

I don't think there is anything wrong with being highly competitive like you are - but it seems to me that a gunner is interested in undercutting others in addition to developing his/her own knowledge and skills. It's like a really insecure way of being competitive.

In a way, to be in med school in the first place you had to be competitive enough to be successful. I don't see a problem there :)

I hope, for my sake, none are at PCOM. . . :-\
As someone that has worked alongside many folks at PCOM, I guarantee that you will see plenty. :p

You have gunners at e-v-e-r-y medical school.

I wouldn't worry too much about the gunner. My cousin had a classmate who was a gunster! He was an ex gang member but was always on top of his med school studies. He would give people the wrong answer on purpose so he could score the highest on the exams.

Last edited:
Gunners are no Funners! If medicine dosen't work out, I got Rap to fall back on.

That would be a sniper. Or a ninja. Or a ninja sniper.

sniper.jpg

Gunners, per the House of God, are those living in a state of perpetual fear that some dolt, in a moment of random non-reproducible genius, will outshine them, and consequently work harder than the average student to keep those opportunities at a minimum.

I agree with this. Gunners are not necessarily cut-throat, they are just wound up way too tightly.

some of them are just insecure and justify their self worth through grades and being "better" than others.
If you wan't to learn as much ofthe material as possible to be a better doctor then thats a good thing. If you want to do better than others just for the sake of doing better, then maybe you should learn an olympic sport.

What kind of world do we live in that you cant even go to class without knowing for a fact who is a gunner and who isnt anymore? It makes me sick.