Decision about applying to ATSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I should complete the secondary for ATSU-AZ. After doing more research I don't feel I would thrive with their unique 1+3 model. I think the traditional 2+2 model would be better for me. I'm also not keen on only spending the 1st year on campus and then having no idea where I'll be for the last 3 years. But ATSU is still a great school and I would be grateful for an acceptance. I would attend if it was the only program I was accepted into, but I do have an interview at another school next month. I'm a little discouraged because there are also already a bunch of people being rejected with similar stats as me (3.45 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 508 MCAT), but I do have a good amount of volunteering and working in an underserved community (with a DO too). Any advice on this? Should I submit the secondary because who knows what will happen? Or is it a waste to spend the $70 and time filling out an app for a school that I don't feel is the right fit for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Trust your gut.

I am not a fan of their "farm 'em out all over the state" mode of clinical education.
I'm just paranoid that I'll decide to not complete the secondary, and then I won't get any acceptances this year and think "Well I wish I applied to ATSU." But I want to attend a medical school that's right for me. I'm just torn.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have some time on your hands and you don't mind spending $70, go for it. What if it ends up being your only acceptance? This is unlikely given your stats, but why burden yourself with the "what if" regret?

I'd rather be in a position to decline interviews/acceptances than have none at all.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just paranoid that I'll decide to not complete the secondary, and then I won't get any acceptances this year and think "Well I wish I applied to ATSU." But I want to attend a medical school that's right for me. I'm just torn.
You have to be able to make decisions and not look back, because your life will be filled with missed opportunities, or mistakes.

Suppose the ONLY accept you get is from SOMA?

Reactions: 1 users
My opinion is that you should invest in it! ATSU is not perfect, but it is great. Plus you're not making a decision right now, more like an investment. Think as if you're adding bets into a game of roulette.

You gotta have skills (stats), yes, but there's a lot of strategy in it too!

Thanks for your advice everyone. I decided to go ahead with the application, it just didn't feel right to not do it. You never know what will happen in the application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
If I were you, I would apply. You never know what schools will accept you.

I am trying to decide if I should complete the secondary for ATSU-AZ. After doing more research I don't feel I would thrive with their unique 1+3 model. I think the traditional 2+2 model would be better for me. I'm also not keen on only spending the 1st year on campus and then having no idea where I'll be for the last 3 years. But ATSU is still a great school and I would be grateful for an acceptance. I would attend if it was the only program I was accepted into, but I do have an interview at another school next month. I'm a little discouraged because there are also already a bunch of people being rejected with similar stats as me (3.45 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 508 MCAT), but I do have a good amount of volunteering and working in an underserved community (with a DO too). Any advice on this? Should I submit the secondary because who knows what will happen? Or is it a waste to spend the $70 and time filling out an app for a school that I don't feel is the right fit for me?

Yes, you should apply. What is $70?

Trust your gut.

I am not a fan of their "farm 'em out all over the state" mode of clinical education.

I agree, seriously, if every school was as good as yours the health of this country would be so much better. :rolleyes:

I was actually rejected from this school post-secondary yesterday. No worries though, I still have 3 interviews, including AZCOM :)

Sorry for an irrelevant comment, but does anyone know if ATSU-KCOM favors regional students over OOS students? I'm interested in applying to ATSU-KCOM, but I have no connection to Missouri whatsoever...

Sorry for an irrelevant comment, but does anyone know if ATSU-KCOM favors regional students over OOS students? I'm interested in applying to ATSU-KCOM, but I have no connection to Missouri whatsoever...

They are a private school and most likely don't give a bit of preference one way or another. They are in the tier of medical schools with 50k+ tuition.