Deciding where to go for Pre-Med

Kammy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something I've been trying to decide for the past few weeks, and it's very frustrating, to move on from one idea to the next. I had an idea of my dream school where I was planning to ED but then was discouraged after reading a few forum posts.

Context: Junior in High School. I want to go to a good school, but also nothing like Berkeley where everything is cutthroat. I'd like to form a relationship with the professors and try to learn as much as possible in college. I'd prefer smaller schools, which is why I've been looking at LACs, specifically Pomona. Pomona and Case Western are my 2 big ones. Only thing I'm worried about is GPA. Read somewhere here on SDN that average GPA at Case is a 3.2 which is discouraging me from wanting to go there. I currently live in Ohio, so state flagship is Ohio. Lots of students, almost 70k. How do people go about getting a 3.8+ and staying competitive for Med Schools?

I'd just like a few school recommendations that are well-known but are not like Berkeley. Sorry if I'm not being clear, I know that Pre-Med everywhere is hard. I'd appreciate any insight really, not even school recommendations. I'm just having trouble getting my thoughts together and would appreciate advice from someone who's been through this process.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your post is rather confusing. You sound like you need to sort out many priorities for yourself and then we can give you more specific advice. For now, let me address some things that I took note of in your post:

my dream school where I was planning to ED but then was discouraged

Why would you not apply if it is your dream school? You realize that most of this website is for undergrads, grad, and med students and when they (often) discourage people from applying early decision it is for med school, not colleges.

I'd prefer smaller schools,
I'd like to form a relationship with the professors and try to learn as much as possible in college.

These 2 things are not automatically connected. At the moment, I would say you need to realize that much of undergrad is "you get out of it what you put in it". People are successful applicants to medical school because they work hard and take on challenges in and outside of the classroom. Go to a small school if that is the environment you like but don't go to a smaller school just because you think it will give you an automatic leg up on the competition. Forming relationships with professors doesn't happen without any effort - you don't just sit in class at a small school and then get a gold star letter of rec because you were a student. You get a great recommendation by working hard, being interested, talking with the prof on a regular basis, doing well in their course, asking questions, doing research with them, working for them as a TA or grader, or any combination of the above. Coincidentally, most of these things lead to a better application due to more extracurriculars, more research, employment, and better grades. All of these things can be accomplished at any size institution as long as you put in the effort.

Read somewhere here on SDN that average GPA at Case is a 3.2 which is discouraging me from wanting to go there.

Normally I do not discourage people from going anywhere but there are a few places that are notorious for being "difficult", "grade-deflating", or "nerd schools". I would beware of any of those descriptors. I feel your undergrad should not be unnecessarily hard due to a school and its students trying to maintain a name associated with a super-rigorous course load and grading.

I currently live in Ohio, so state flagship is Ohio.

Have you visited there? Have you talked to any students or advisors from there? You may find that you like it. You may also hate it. I find actual campus visits super helpful in making these decisions.

Lots of students, almost 70k.

It isn't like you have to beat out all of these people for admission. Hell, you don't even have to beat out the classmates of your major. Compete against yourself.

How do people go about getting a 3.8+ and staying competitive for Med Schools?

Lots of hard work combined with interest, dedication, and a smattering of luck and good advice along the way. Sometimes they stumble, recover, and are successful after fixing weak spots.

I'd just like a few school recommendations that are well-known

Do not go to any school based on how well-known it is. It will not give you a significant advantage in getting into medical school. What will give you an advantage is finding a program where you are a good fit. If you are happy and feel you can succeed then you will be much more likely to do well in school, impress your peers and profs, participate in activities, and have a strong application.

Reactions: 1 users
Your post is rather confusing. You sound like you need to sort out many priorities for yourself and then we can give you more specific advice. For now, let me address some things that I took note of in your post:

Why would you not apply if it is your dream school? You realize that most of this website is for undergrads, grad, and med students and when they (often) discourage people from applying early decision it is for med school, not colleges.

These 2 things are not automatically connected. At the moment, I would say you need to realize that much of undergrad is "you get out of it what you put in it". People are successful applicants to medical school because they work hard and take on challenges in and outside of the classroom. Go to a small school if that is the environment you like but don't go to a smaller school just because you think it will give you an automatic leg up on the competition. Forming relationships with professors doesn't happen without any effort - you don't just sit in class at a small school and then get a gold star letter of rec because you were a student. You get a great recommendation by working hard, being interested, talking with the prof on a regular basis, doing well in their course, asking questions, doing research with them, working for them as a TA or grader, or any combination of the above. Coincidentally, most of these things lead to a better application due to more extracurriculars, more research, employment, and better grades. All of these things can be accomplished at any size institution as long as you put in the effort.

Normally I do not discourage people from going anywhere but there are a few places that are notorious for being "difficult", "grade-deflating", or "nerd schools". I would beware of any of those descriptors. I feel your undergrad should not be unnecessarily hard due to a school and its students trying to maintain a name associated with a super-rigorous course load and grading.

Have you visited there? Have you talked to any students or advisors from there? You may find that you like it. You may also hate it. I find actual campus visits super helpful in making these decisions.

It isn't like you have to beat out all of these people for admission. Hell, you don't even have to beat out the classmates of your major. Compete against yourself.

Lots of hard work combined with interest, dedication, and a smattering of luck and good advice along the way. Sometimes they stumble, recover, and are successful after fixing weak spots.

Do not go to any school based on how well-known it is. It will not give you a significant advantage in getting into medical school. What will give you an advantage is finding a program where you are a good fit. If you are happy and feel you can succeed then you will be much more likely to do well in school, impress your peers and profs, participate in activities, and have a strong application.

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. I think I will go to my State flagship, although it is a bit more expensive than what I'd like it to be, compared to other private schools quoted on NPC. I'll still give it a shot. I'm trying to find a few schools to stay away from and then start compiling a list.