Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine- Part THREE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Super powers?!?! LMAO!!! YES!!!:laugh: :cool:

I hope you and your wife have a great trip down to DCOM. I am sure the weather will be a lot nicer down there at least. I hope she falls in love with it too! :luck:

Thanks Docmom. We are flying into Louisville in the morning, then driving to DCOM. We are both really looking forward to the trip. It will be nice to get away for a couple of days. We will take some pics and just drive around so my wife can see as much as possible. We will be back Sunday night, so I will let you guys know the decision when we get back :rolleyes: :laugh:

I hope all of you have a good weekend :D

Hopefully my boy Gordon will be in Voctory Lane come night afternoon too! Go #24!!!

I had to post this since I have been sharing my house drama with you all. I just got my official mortgage paperwork in the mail today for what should have been the property we are not getting. IT HAD THE WRONG ADDRESS AND TOWN ON IT!!!!! LMFAO!!!! So, we could have signed it and sent it back and had a mortgage on a property I never knew existed!!! I had to fax our signed contract with the address on it to the broker! WTF?!?! How do you mangage to mess that up?!?!:smuggrin: :mad: :laugh: :p

This is total insanity. I just hope we find a great place next week and then everything else goes smoothly after that. :luck: :laugh: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. I. and several other people (including myself) got into a heated debate over DO vs. MD in one of the threads and stuff happened. I guess it got slightly out of control.

Sheesh, people still get into arguments about this? Everyone's in it to help people, time to get over it. My very good friend at NYU (3rd year allo) and I already have an agreement that he's gonna call me a "witch doctor" or a "shaman" if I get into a DO school but it's all in good fun. He knows I'm better (tutored him in Bio/Chem in high school) and smarter (30M vs 35R) than him anyway :D

Dude, if you're reading this...totally joking :smuggrin:

Ultimately, he's at NYU about to finish med school and I'm still sitting here ripping my hair out about getting into one.

OK. We are leaving for Tennessee in about 13 hours.:scared: LONG CAR RIDE!!! We will be there tomorrow evening. I am definitely going to stop by the school and get pics for you all. Wish me luck on the house-hunting process.:luck:

I am with one of my buddies at NYCOM, he mentioned how every DO school sends out their students to attend an osteopathic convention every year. Last year it was las vegas, this year it will be San Diego. Iam already excited about this:) i believe it is going to be sometime around october. We will all get to meet DO students from other schools and for me personally i will see all my buddies:D

We just got back from DCOM tonight. Here are 4 pics taken for you all. I'll just post these so I don't steal Docmom thunder from her upcoming trip :D . But here you guys go...

The first is of the school (we have bricks!!!) and the second is of the hotel apartment conversion.

The third is of St. Mary's Hospital (Campbell County - 4th year). Located on TN-63 near LaFollette, about 45 mins. from DCOM. It is bigger than the pic shows, some of it got cut off b/c it was taken by my wife while I was driving.

The fourth is of Pineville Hospital in KY (4th year). Located on 25E North about 13 miles from DCOM.

We have a verdict for DCOM.........:thumbup: :D

I am sending in my deposit tomorrow!!! My wife really liked the area and the school. She was very impressed with the overall campus of LMU in addition to the building for DCOM as well. DCOM just fit me better than LECOM did and it had nothing to do with what is said on SDN, but what I personally felt during my interview day. My wife felt the same way, and that was before we really sat down together to discuss the two. Yeah, kinda freaky :laugh:. I am going to be part of DCOM's Inaugural Class of 2011!!!

I really love this school and I am proud to be a future student.

We did LOTS of driving in our two days in order to see as much as possible in as little time as we could. We drove in from Louisville (about 3.5 hours away), so we saw a lot of KY. It was beautiful, but it snowed all day Saturday. It kinda freaked out the local folk, but it wasn't bad at all. It accumulated on the grass and land, but not the streets - but it still made them a bit nervous. The snow made some of the back roads a little "interesting" for my wife because of the wet (and some slushy) hairpin turns along a cliff with no guard rails :scared: . BUT DON'T WORRY...this road DOES NOT have to be used to get to DCOM, it was more of a "detour," out of the way from DCOM.

As for limits on housing to DCOM (at least where we drove thru), these would be my recommendations, and by no means are these exhaustive, just my wife's and my opinions:

- Going West on TN-63 from DCOM, no farther than LaFollette or Jacksboro. This is a 45-50 minute drive (going 60 mph - approx. 40 miles) from DCOM and from Knoxville. Time wise, it isn't awful, but it is a lot of miles.

- Going South on 25E (or Cumberland Gap Parkway) approximately Sneedville. I can't remember some of the other towns around Sneedville, but it wasn't a bad drive (about 30 minutes). We drove to Morristown, which is past Sneedville, and it is too far for DCOM. It was an hour drive going about 50 miles. But when you are visiting, take this drive because after Sneedville there is a BEAUTIFUL scenic outlook you can pull off on. It is simply stunning.

Anyways, hope this helps a little. The area is beautiful. When going there, take a day and just drive - it is definately worth it.

nascardoc,

Congratulations! I had a feeling she would like it down there.

I was wondering if you could tell me what the drive is like from I-75 to Middlesboro up in KY? We never got to drive north of Middlesboro while down there, and I'm wondering if it's mountains or valleys (like the drive to LaFollette).

I'm glad you all had a nice weekend!

nascardoc,

Congratulations! I had a feeling she would like it down there.

I was wondering if you could tell me what the drive is like from I-75 to Middlesboro up in KY? We never got to drive north of Middlesboro while down there, and I'm wondering if it's mountains or valleys (like the drive to LaFollette).

I'm glad you all had a nice weekend!

The drive from I-75 (Corbin, KY) to Middlesboro is quite nice on 25E. It is mountains rather than valley, but no big deal. No cliffs, hairpins, etc. You can do 70 the entire way, but there are some elevation changes. It is really a pretty drive. The drive takes a little over an hour if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks...still checking out different areas to live and have my wife work.

Did you happen to go to Knoxville via 33?

Not this trip, but when I interviewed, I went to Knoxville this way. It is a nice drive with little "business districts" (at least that is how I descibe them) with a few stores, businesses, etc. along the way. Some of the towns that I remember that are along that way are Tazewell and New Tazewell. There are some nice houses there.

Along TN-63, there is LaFollette and another town about 5 miles northeast of LaFollette. I don't know the name (Fincastle maybe :confused: ). You will see it on your left when driving to LaFollette from DCOM - you'll see a nice sized neighborhood. There are some really nice homes there and St. Mary's Campbell County Hospital is just down 63 (your wife is a nurse, right?). You could find something between the hospital and DCOM and both of you would have a very reasonable drive, approx. 20 minutes.

Yep, we're looking at LaFollette....but also looking at an area known as Halls Crossroads, and I've heard varying reports of how long it takes to get to Harrogate from there...it's on 33, about 10-12 miles north of downtown Knoxville...

Who knows...thanks for the information.

I just Mapquested Halls Crossroads and I think that would be a very long drive everyday to DCOM - approx. 1.5 hours and almost 50 miles. We went to Chili's in North Knoxville for dinner on saturday night and the ride back to middlesboro was long and dark. Personally, the farthest I would want to go on 63 is LaFollette or Jacksboro.

I am with one of my buddies at NYCOM, he mentioned how every DO school sends out their students to attend an osteopathic convention every year. Last year it was las vegas, this year it will be San Diego. Iam already excited about this:) i believe it is going to be sometime around october. We will all get to meet DO students from other schools and for me personally i will see all my buddies:D

:thumbdown:

Wrong. Oh yes, DO schools give all the DO students time off from classes to go to some random social DO convention. I think not. Adcoms, faculty, and some DOs go. Ideas like this, total blasphemy.

Wrong. Oh yes, DO schools give all the DO students time off from classes to go to some random social DO convention. I think not. Adcoms, faculty, and some DOs go. Ideas like this, total blasphemy.

LOL..i dont care responding back to your lame comments.

I'm in Tennessee!!!!:clap: We got here this afternoon and looked at our first house in Sneedville. I am not sure about the drive into Sneedville from Harrogate though. It is a lot of country roads. OMG!!! DON'T drive over Clinch Mountain...VERY SCARY...NO GUARDRAILS!!!:eek: :scared: I am not sure what day I am going to look at the school, but it will be sometime this week. I will take pictures for y'all. Well, that's all I have to say for now. The internet connection here is awful, so it is not worth the wait to get the pages on SDN to load. I will update you all later.:love: :)

I'm in Tennessee!!!!:clap: We got here this afternoon and looked at our first house in Sneedville. I am not sure about the drive into Sneedville from Harrogate though. It is a lot of country roads. OMG!!! DON'T drive over Clinch Mountain...VERY SCARY...NO GUARDRAILS!!!:eek: :scared: I am not sure what day I am going to look at the school, but it will be sometime this week. I will take pictures for y'all. Well, that's all I have to say for now. The internet connection here is awful, so it is not worth the wait to get the pages on SDN to load. I will update you all later.:love: :)

Congrats!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Have fun and be careful on those roads!!! My wife hated them, but I love driving on them. They're kinda fun b/c I don't see roads like that in Chicago. I just wanted to see where they went and who the hell would drive those everyday. Any who, have fun and good luck with the house shopping :cool:

So I got a rejection from DCOM today. I was very sad. Do yall think I am the first person ever to get a rejection from them??? How sad.

So I got a rejection from DCOM today. I was very sad. Do yall think I am the first person ever to get a rejection from them??? How sad.

Sorry to hear it........I dont think, however, that DCOM would accept and waitlist over 2,000 students. I just dont think that many folks around SDN tell anybody else about rejections.

Good luck

You're probably the 1st person to ANNOUNCE a rejection from DCOM that's on SDN. What's your stats? I guess try out Touro-NY ..

Better luck next cycle.

As long as you have a 3.0 GPA our school allows you to attend any conventions you want to go to. In fact, they encourage it. They even pay for stuff like travel and rooms sometimes. It's not just national DO conventions either, but also local, state, or other organizations like ACOFP. Being a physician is like anything else-- there's a lot of political stuff and networking that you need to do to get ahead.

As long as you have a 3.0 GPA our school allows you to attend any conventions you want to go to. In fact, they encourage it. They even pay for stuff like travel and rooms sometimes. It's not just national DO conventions either, but also local, state, or other organizations like ACOFP. Being a physician is like anything else-- there's a lot of political stuff and networking that you need to do to get ahead.

Good to know.....

Your school may give all the freedom in the world for their students; however, I dont think all other DO schools have similar policies.

Good to know.....

Another good thing is that registration for students is typically free, while practicing doctors will pay hundreds of dollars. Also, all the student organizations are there and they have a lot of planned activities so that you can meet and interact with fellow students.

The local conventions can be really fun too, but you can also learn something if you take the time to do so.

Your school may give all the freedom in the world for their students; however, I dont think all other DO schools have similar policies.

Dr.Inviz stop talking out of your ass. Go study!

Dr.Inviz stop talking out of your ass. Go study!

I already studied your mom lastnite, it got boring quickly.

im off to study your significant other now ... hopefully she won't be as boring.

night!

from one scribe to another...my regrets! Good luck wherever you go:)

im off to study your significant other now ... hopefully she won't be as boring.

night!

At times i thought you were nothing but irrational, now i also like to think that you are a pathetic loser who likes to smile at his own lack of maturity. Grow up brother, you wont get far like this...

night!

You know, I used to like coming to SDN and talking about "school" issues and getting good information, but now I hate coming here because of idiots like this guy. I really hope you don't go to DCOM, and if you do I hope I find out who the hell you are so I make sure I stay away from immature losers like you. Grow up, I have read most of your post and they are all cutting people down, get a life! Go ahead, say something sarcastic about this comment you idiot! It's funny how people have such "balls" to insult people over the internet, I wanna see you try to say that **** to Lamborghini in his face you coward!!!

You know, I used to like coming to SDN and talking about "school" issues and getting good information, but now I hate coming here because of idiots like this guy. I really hope you don't go to DCOM, and if you do I hope I find out who the hell you are so I make sure I stay away from immature losers like you. Grow up, I have read most of your post and they are all cutting people down, get a life! Go ahead, say something sarcastic about this comment you idiot! It's funny how people have such "balls" to insult people over the internet, I wanna see you try to say that **** to Lamborghini in his face you coward!!!

While there is some truth to this, we shouldn't stoop to such a level.

I admit that I was wrong in my choice of words and never will I stoop to such a level in response to certain remarks made to me in the future.

Have a great day.

I admit that I was wrong in my choice of words and never will I stoop to such a level in response to certain remarks made to me in the future.

Have a great day.

Thats what I thought! It's cool to talk smack about people, I don't have a problem with that, it can be fun sometimes, but please... please DO NOT ever talk crap about MOTHERS, GIRLFRIENDS or DAUGHTERS!!! Because I take great offense when "those" women are referred to as "you know what!" I treasure them, specially MOTHERS!

Anyways.... So i'm going car shopping right now for my new DCOM car... I really wanna check out the 4X4 FJ Cruiser! What do you guys think, it would be nice to go off roading in Harrogate!:D

Oh.. here's a picture!
afj.jpg

hehe thanx bro, Dr.Inviz should realize that this forum is to help one another not cause fights.

Dumb question...where/what hwy. is the Clinch Mtn. crossing on?

It looks like you have to take TN-33 to Sneedville, then go south on TN-31. A town you go thru is Treadway. Yeah...that looks like a nasty drive. Fun - but nasty, especially when dark, rainy, snowy, your sleepy or all four :eek:

Many of the hairpins Docmom was talking about are blind as well, you can't see where the turn is going due to both elevation change and, obviously, the mountain. You really have to watch out for other cars and trucks b/c those turns would not be a nice place to meet. :scared:

Other roads I've been that are like that...
- KY-74
- TN-90
- Pine Mountain Resort (the road to there is fun)
- Some other backroads I don't know the name of, but decided to turn down anyway - sorry not much help on those

same could be said for yourself. take heed to your own comments.

Hey Lamborghini, is it me or is someone crying and whinning like a little baby!?!?
DrI.jpg

HAHA... Sorry Dr. Inviz, I apologize, I'll stop, as long as you stop being cruel on the DCOM page! You know, there's tons of other threads where you can go pick on people, just not this one! Ok thanks bro! Have a good day Lambo, ahhh what the hell.... you have a good day too Dr Inviz!:rolleyes:

Hey Lamborghini, is it me or is someone crying and whinning like a little baby!?!?
DrI.jpg

HAHA... Sorry Dr. Inviz, I apologize, I'll stop, as long as you stop being cruel on the DCOM page! You know, there's tons of other threads where you can go pick on people, just not this one! Ok thanks bro! Have a good day Lambo, ahhh what the hell.... you have a good day too Dr Inviz!:rolleyes:

heh, I thought all that crying came from your ends after my response. :laugh:

No cruelty came out of me; however, if you can't take the heat, don't attempt to dish it 1st ;)

If I end up having to commute to school 40 miles or so, I'm probably going to buy another car for us rather than drive my truck...but will save it for weekends.

Looking at Fusions and Accords mostly...and I'll probably get stuck driving the Civic we already have...yuck.

night!

I never expected to post on this thread as I am just a family member of a waitlisted DCOM hopeful given the mission to monitor the thread for any movement in the alternate list, but I have to reply to Dr. Inviz's foul message. It is very clear that you have not attained the maturity necessary to be a physician and it would be best if you spent the next several years working on growing as a person before you contemplate attending medical school. I believe you interviewed at DCOM recently, and may have received an acceptance. When I think of those waitlisted, and those like the young lady who recently posted that she had been denied, while you may have a seat in the class, it makes me very sad. I have been so impressed with the apparent quality of the individuals posting on this thread; their enthusiasm for medicine and for DCOM, the support and encouragement they offer one another and the sense of humor they share. Only you, Dr Inviz, stand out as deficient in all those areas in which the others excell. If the problem is immaturity, time may take care of that. If the problem lies deeper, there are many fine counselors who can help you. I suggest you find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.