Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine- Part THREE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the changes for us....

- Pizza - we Chicagoians take our pizza seriously :smuggrin: Papa Johns, Pizza Hut = bad, but doable if no other option. Not having deep dish around will be good for our blood tests, but bad for our mouths

I'm not sure about Harrogate, TN but here in NC we can get Home Run Inn pizza in the frozen section. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

It is one of my first missions (or the Mrs.'s) once we move down there to "network" my way into riding with someone and being part of the Volunteer Navy on the way to a Vols game. I've always been a mild fan of the Vols (again, had family in the area), but this is going to be altogether different. I've been to some great tailgate atmospheres, but this one's been on my list for a while..

Also wouldn't mind trying to attend the world's greatest outdoor cocktail party someday...

And I'm going to see Jordan-Hare in person if at all possible over Labor Day.

I got accepted into DeBusk and I am having a hard time deciding where I want to go. There, WVSOM, or VCOM.

It really looks like the community is going to be fairly tight at DeBusk. One of the things holding me back is that the location seems a bit remote and the housing does not seem to have much variety. After living in a "dorm" for four years the transformed Ramada is a bit of a turn off. And living somewhere comfortable is a big part of post graduate education, IMO. It's going to be stressful and going home is a place to unwind.

But the technology and the "newness" and the faculty are very appealing as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into DeBusk and I am having a hard time deciding where I want to go. There, WVSOM, or VCOM.

It really looks like the community is going to be fairly tight at DeBusk. One of the things holding me back is that the location seems a bit remote and the housing does not seem to have much variety. After living in a "dorm" for four years the transformed Ramada is a bit of a turn off. And living somewhere comfortable is a big part of post graduate education, IMO. It's going to be stressful and going home is a place to unwind.

But the technology and the "newness" and the faculty are very appealing as well.

Believe me, you do not want to live in Harrogate for all 4 years b/c the commute to clinicals will be toooooooo long (as much as 3 hrs). You definately could live in Halls where there are new apartments, condos, and homes. Or you could live the first two years in the college apartments and then move to Knoxville for clinicals...I think this is the intent of the college. Living at the college apartments may help keep you on track. Plus they look like they are going to be pretty nice.

Can one of you folks from the area shed some light on a couple of things regarding real estate for me?

1. Crawl Spaces, but very few actual basements?
2. Lack of garage spaces.

Also, if anyone knows where I can find info. on newer townhomes in the Halls Area, I'd really appreciate it.

Can one of you folks from the area shed some light on a couple of things regarding real estate for me?

Also, if anyone knows where I can find info. on newer townhomes in the Halls Area, I'd really appreciate it.

I just did a search, and a lot of them are more expensive than some of the new homes I'm finding...

I don't want to pick up a southern accent, but i don't think i will have a choice...

I have been in TN for 16 years and I do not have an accent. You know when you interview and you go around the table and say your name and college, they always say..."Where are you really from, b/c you do not sound like you are from TN?"

I do find that I say certain words with a twang, but all-in-all I am accent free.:laugh:

I have been in TN for 16 years and I do not have an accent. You know when you interview and you go around the table and say your name and college, they always say..."Where are you really from, b/c you do not sound like you are from TN?"

I do find that I say certain words with a twang, but all-in-all I am accent free.:laugh:
well that is good to know...my husband (nascardoc) thinks it would be funny for me to pick the accent up...i really don't!

Ok...the bidding has begun!

I'll take Jen (nascar's hunny) with an accent in 2 years - odds are 3:1

anyone else takin' bets?

Nascardoc: I hear you about the pizza. For me, it's NY style. I've never considered anything else pizza.

I guess I'll have to branch out. :D

well that is good to know...my husband (nascardoc) thinks it would be funny for me to pick the accent up...i really don't!

I'm almost positive my wife will pick up at least some sort of accent...of course, we already have a twang according to some from friends from MinnieSOta.

:)

I just did a search, and a lot of them are more expensive than some of the new homes I'm finding...

1st -crawl space is cheap
2nd -here in TN, it is hard to keep basements dry. Lots of issues with mold too.

As for garages, do you mean actual garages? Because any newer home has a garage...unless someone bought small and turned the garage into a family room.

I can pick up a few home magazines if you'd like, and send them your way. In general though, you can get a decent townhome cheaper than a home. Also they skyrocket in value. My sister bought a newer townhome that has 1750 sq ft for $137,000 in 2002 and is getting ready to list it for $224,000! But, we live in west Knoxille (Farragut) which is really growing.

Members don't see this ad :)
My issue has been finding many houses with 2+ car garages in some areas...

I guess the basement thing is something I'll just have to get used to. Being from KS, I've been programmed "never buy a house without a BASEMENT"... :) Plus, we love them for storage and rec rooms.

I'm sure you've seen some of the townhomes I've found...they are beautiful, but I'm cheap when it comes to townhomes I guess. :)

I'll see about the homes guides (particularly if they have references to subdivisions in development, etc.. as that's something that's very hard to figure out online).

I've found lots of stuff that's "interesting" to me, but it's quite hard to house shop from 500 miles away. Pictures can look great, and make a house look like something it's not.

If I could find something just like what we've got, I'd be very happy...the back yard is like a park, literally, and we've got a very large, shaded yard...and over 2000 sq. feet.

With all our critters, we like lots of space! Thanks all for the tips.

Our house has a two car detached garage and a basement. I plan on putting stalls in my garage though.:rolleyes: :laugh: I did notice the same thing that you did though.

A lot of the houses in the area have large yards. I actually have a nice one for someone if they are interested.
http://www.vwilderrealestate.com/listing680.html

My agent is the listing agent. I think it is in Halls. It is a really cute house with a huge back yard. He took us to see it because he was trying to sell it to us. :smuggrin: It is also in a great neighborhood for anyone with kids.

Nascardoc: I hear you about the pizza. For me, it's NY style. I've never considered anything else pizza.

I guess I'll have to branch out. :D

Ok so it'll be a little trip for most of you guys, but when you get settled in town we'll all go to Big Ed's pizza. It's by far one of the best custom pizza joints in the entire south east (somewhat biased statement, void where prohibited, excludes West Virginia & Puerto Rico). I think most of you would like it and while we're there I could show you where they built the atomic bomb.

Ok so it'll be a little trip for most of you guys, but when you get settled in town we'll all go to Big Ed's pizza. It's by far one of the best custom pizza joints in the entire south east (somewhat biased statement, void where prohibited, excludes West Virginia & Puerto Rico). I think most of you would like it and while we're there I could show you where they built the atomic bomb.

That's so kind of you! I wish I could go. I won't be in your class. :( :(

Oak Ridge?

My uncle works for Jacob's.

Im wondering how much of a pain in the ass its gonna be to transfer my emt license over to tn. and if theres any actual jobs around school. I think Im gonna have to get my national which is a pain in of itself...

NPEMTIV - Congratulations on your acceptance! :D
I love pizza and will be glad to take you up up on the offer. See you soon!

Im wondering how much of a pain in the ass its gonna be to transfer my emt license over to tn. and if theres any actual jobs around school. I think Im gonna have to get my national which is a pain in of itself...

Slinkeyooo - Are you planning on working while in school? I've considered getting a job when I move, but do you think there is enough time to work and do well in school. Regardless, that does sound like a pain to transfer your license. :(

Slinkeyooo - Are you planning on working while in school? I've considered getting a job when I move, but do you think there is enough time to work and do well in school. Regardless, that does sound like a pain to transfer your license. :(

Every med student i know have emphasized this over and over again, there's no time for work unless you plan to be busy every second of your day. When i say every second, i mean it literally! Just think of it this way, you are infact working for a big paycheck in the future, does it really matter if you make some small amount now? End of the day, you are better off taking out loans and let the money come when the time's right..then again we r all broke and need some extra cash, oh well i will learn to suck it up.lol

Every med student i know have emphasized this over and over again, there's no time for work unless you plan to be busy every second of your day. When i say every second, i mean it literally! Just think of it this way, you are infact working for a big paycheck in the future, does it really matter if you make some small amount now? End of the day, you are better off taking out loans and let the money come when the time's right..then again we r all broke and need some extra cash, oh well i will learn to suck it up.lol

The money better come when the time is right! :smuggrin:
Yeah, I really think it would be too much to do both.

I thought I might keep the license active and work like one or 2 days a month someplace. I dont think I could handle a full or even part time job while doing med school but its always nice to be able to make a couple of extra bucks for beer.

I thought I might keep the license active and work like one or 2 days a month someplace. I dont think I could handle a full or even part time job while doing med school but its always nice to be able to make a couple of extra bucks for beer.

Med school is a full time job. Max out on loans if you feel you must spend money freely.

WOOT!!! DR. I is off his suspension!!!:clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Now behave Dr. Inviz.;) :smuggrin:

I am starting to side with Lamborghini man!

I'd rather drink the cheapest beer possible and have some time to myself. :rolleyes:

WOOT!!! DR. I is off his suspension!!!:clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Now behave Dr. Inviz.;) :smuggrin:

I knew I was badly missed by the Pre-Osteo/DCOM group :cool:

Told you the tribute worked like a charm ;)

Hi Dr Inviz! I've been a little confused by your posts. Are you going to DCOM, do you not like the school, or what's your deal?

Hi Dr Inviz! I've been a little confused by your posts. Are you going to DCOM, do you not like the school, or what's your deal?

And that is the way I like for it to remain. All will be revealed in due time. :laugh:

Congrats on the acceptance.

I noticed you're from Okla. City, did you apply to the state DO school?

LOL! He is going. He loves it but won't admit it. He is a very complicated and confusing person at times and of course VERY sarcastic. But, under all of that, he has a good heart.:D ;)

Ok...the bidding has begun!

I'll take Jen (nascar's hunny) with an accent in 2 years - odds are 3:1

anyone else takin' bets?

:laugh: I'll take it too!

Sweet. The pizza sounds good and the atomic bomb trip would be very interesting, especially since it was designed at the university of chicago.

Med school is a full time job. Max out on loans if you feel you must spend money freely.

Welcome back :clap: We missed you.

LOL! He is going. He loves it but won't admit it. He is a very complicated and confusing person at times and of course VERY sarcastic. But, under all of that, he has a good heart.:D ;)

Good hearted fun is always entertaining! Can't wait for more in a few short months. :laugh:

:laugh: I'll take it too!

Sweet. The pizza sounds good and the atomic bomb trip would be very interesting, especially since it was designed at the university of chicago.

Welcome back :clap: We missed you.

That's good to hear. I already heard grumblings from a few Pre-DOs that it was boring without me ... I checked up a few times, and I must say ... they were right ... :smuggrin: :laugh:

And that is the way I like for it to remain. All will be revealed in due time. :laugh:

Congrats on the acceptance.

I noticed you're from Okla. City, did you apply to the state DO school?

I did apply to the Oklahoma DO school, but I never had any intention of going there after I found out about DCOM. I visited DCOM a few months ago and fell in love with the place. It's been my first choice all along, so once I got accepted I didn't consider any other schools.

Are you asking about the Oklahoma school because you might be going there?? ;) I hope you aren't. I'm interested in learning more about you in August.

I did apply to the Oklahoma DO school, but I never had any intention of going there after I found out about DCOM. I visited DCOM a few months ago and fell in love with the place. It's been my first choice all along, so once I got accepted I didn't consider any other schools.

Are you asking about the Oklahoma school because you might be going there?? ;) I hope you aren't. I'm interested in learning more about you in August.

Likewise.

Nah, I'm not going there ... although I should have considered it moreso given that it has the only AOA accredited Interventional Radiology program in the nation. Plus, Goljan I believe lectures there, too, and the man is apparently a genius for the boards since there's audios of his lectures flying all around the internet .... :laugh:

But, under all of that, he has a good heart.:D ;)
Unlike me.....who at his core is a cold, heartless SOB who does not value the lives of ******s (to paraphrase a PM I just received).

Unlike me.....who at his core is a cold, heartless SOB who does not value the lives of ******s (to paraphrase a PM I just received).

Only in jest ... I'm sorry you could not determine the difference ... hence it was only in PM. :laugh:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enf4dKA5Hqo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h2tqyNlCBg[/YOUTUBE]

OK, so what's the deal with shoes hanging from the electric wires?? :confused:

I see that occasionally in the less than nice areas of Oklahoma City, but why would someone throw their shoes up there in the first place?

OK, so what's the deal with shoes hanging from the electric wires?? :confused:

I see that occasionally in the less than nice areas of Oklahoma City, but why would someone throw their shoes up there in the first place?

It's a nice way to sterilize their shoes I suppose ... :laugh:

If only they followed that train of thought when it comes to procreation.

Status
Not open for further replies.