This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theotolaryngologist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker and taken so much advice from this forum and want to thank all that have contributed. From the years of reading your posts, I can see that many of the attending and resident contributors have different backgrounds..whether it is their subspecialty, location, academic vs private, etc. As a resident who is starting to think of what type of career and practice I want to be apart of, I've realized that during residency we are unfortunately only exposed to the small bubble of ENT life our residency provides, but careers and practices vary SIGNIFICANTLY everywhere you look.

We are starting a project to collect stories and interviews with ENTs across the country to give ENT residents, young attendings and even those further into their careers a look into how Otolaryngology is practiced in all the various forms that it has.

We would love to have some of you from this forum share what you do on a day to day basis and answer a few questions (can be anonymous if preferred). If interested, send me a DM! We are hoping to create this series to become a very helpful resource for upcoming Otolaryngolgists!

- theOtolaryngologist

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At least it's not a day in the "life" of an Otolaryngologist.

Well, for my first four years I was in the Army. I wrote this about a day in the life of an Army internist, but I think it's basically the same for ENT:

Wake up at 0400. PT for 90 minutes. Shower up. Press uniform. Formation at 0600. Recite Pledge of allegiance and sing national anthem. salute flag. salute picture of Trump. salute God. head to clinic. see one patient for (sinus infection who actually has a broken nose). leave clinic. three hours of mandatory lecture about insufficient number of available clinic slots. hit DFAC. eat three pounds of animal fat. back to clinic. see one patient for (OSA and obesity) who isn't sure why he has it. stop fight between two civilian employees at your front desk who have spent the last 15 years rotating clinic to clinic because they just can't get along with another human being, and now they're both your problem. clinic closes at 1500. finish up notes. two notes takes 45 minutes on AHLTA. finish two hours of mandatory online training about cyber security and bullying and how to make transgendered soldiers feel like they're really your preferred soldier. Go home. drink quart of vodka. pass out in own filth.

Reactions: 3 users