Dat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questions regarding the material that the DAT tests. Does the o-chem section have alot of stuff from the second semester or can one get away with knowing first semester really well? I have heard that it mostly covers the basics from first semester. I actually heard this from an admissions director at a school and they only require the first semester as a pre-req.
secondly how does topscore compare to the real thing on the g-chem and o-chem sections? Is it true that the real DAT is more conceptual in g-chem? The reason I ask is because I have seen alot of calculations on topscore. Thanks
oncogene

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct---the orgo section for me and for others who have posted on SDN all agree that it is mainly first semester material. When I really think hard, I can't think of any 2nd semester stuff that was on my DAT. Topscore is accurate in that it tests SN1, SN2, E1, and E2 and your basic first semester rxns. Know those more than you know yourself. However, one would be foolish not to study second semester stuff, too.

For me, GCHEM was mostly conceptual---which is why I used the periodic table one time.

-Richard

The DAT discussions forum is now open and DesiDentist is the new moderator!! Moving over there...