DAT retake question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you take the DAT in August and decide to take it again it would November/December before you can take it again. Do schools make a cut off date for DAT scores. Everything has to be in by a certain date or won't count sort of deal. Or can you send them a second score, just as long as they have not made a decision on your application. Does anybody know or have experienced this before.

thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very good question. Even though I haven't taken the DAT yet, I might be in this same situation. Can someone enlighten us?

You will have to check with the individual school. For example certain schools require DAT to be taken no later than October of the year you are going in. On the other hand i know a friend of mine took his DAT in late November and still got in 5 schools from the list of 6. I am thinking sometime you can even negotiate your way with the Admissions to wait for your DAt scores. I am sure other people have something to add

Good luck on your exams

have you gotten any info on the three texas schools

any interviews lined up for you.

hope your DAT studying is going well. I am bout to crack open up the books again and start studying for the DAT again for October or early november.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those who asked the question:

have you guys submitted your applications yet??? got any interviews yet??? any secondaries???

if you have submitted your application, you can send a letter to the schools. if you have secondaries, write on the secondary that you wil be retaking the DAT whenever.

during your interviews, when the talk about your low DAT scores... be prepared to say that you are scheduled to retake the DAT on XY date.

hope this helps.

Comet

Each school has a special date where they close the admissions process. If your file is not "complete" by that date then you aren't considered for an interview or acceptance.

"Complete" means having the AADSAS application AND DAT scores. It may also mean having other items such as secondaries, fees, pictures, etc.

Contact each school to find out the date, or use the information provided by the ADEA.

Hey Balki (or anyone else who might know)

Back to the question of the cut off date for the DAT...Balki when you said that it depends on each school, is it wise to call them and let them know you have applied to their school but that you are re-taking the test on a certain date??

Sleepless

Sorry but I forgot to ask...what are the chances of a person getting an interview if their test scores are okay (I got 19-AA and 19-science) not the best but i think it meets the avgs at some schools...

Regardless i am taking it over in October (middle)....

So is it wise for me to contact schools and talk to them now? or wait till after I get my scores for my DAT in october?

Cause there are certain schools I would love to get an interview with, but I don't know what to do at this point in time...

I have sent my applications, transcripts, and recs...I am now sending off the fees for apps and pictures..etc...

Hopefully someone can help me out:)

Originally posted by hockeydentist
If you take the DAT in August and decide to take it again it would November/December before you can take it again. Do schools make a cut off date for DAT scores. Everything has to be in by a certain date or won't count sort of deal. Or can you send them a second score, just as long as they have not made a decision on your application. Does anybody know or have experienced this before.

thanks again

They don't have official cut-off dates per say. However, if Columbia dental fills their class by December or January then in a sense they do have cut-off dates. It will just have to be a case by case basis. Some schools are a lot faster than others in filling their classes. Penn and UOP are two such schools. They like to fill their classes in a hurry. I wish I had everything done by May because those people have a huge advantange in getting into those schools with early application.

But don't fret. Most schools will refer to their official deadline (Jan 1st, March 1st etc) as the cut-off point provided that they haven't already filled their class.

I think retaking the DAT is better than having no DAT. At least, they have something to go by so you are in decent shape.

Originally posted by Sleepless
Sorry but I forgot to ask...what are the chances of a person getting an interview if their test scores are okay (I got 19-AA and 19-science) not the best but i think it meets the avgs at some schools...

Regardless i am taking it over in October (middle)....

So is it wise for me to contact schools and talk to them now? or wait till after I get my scores for my DAT in october?

Cause there are certain schools I would love to get an interview with, but I don't know what to do at this point in time...

I have sent my applications, transcripts, and recs...I am now sending off the fees for apps and pictures..etc...

Hopefully someone can help me out:)

19/19 is solid for the DAT. The only time you absolutely need 20 DAT's is if you have a GPA below a 3.0 and you are trying to get into a competitive school like Harvard or Penn. But 19 is solid and you will see that it exceeds the average for most schools.

Thanx for the vote of confidence=)

I have an overall 3.6 gpa and i think a 3.1 science gpa...I was a finance major in college. ( I have been out of college for 2 years)

Anyway I think 19 is alright...but I think I can do better...(I took the test the week before my wedding..haha...soo talk about stress and outside obligations...)

The reason I am taking it over is bc my PAT is below 16=(...i had a very bad eye infection 3-4 days before my test...and i couldn't push it out any farther cause I was getting married the next weekend...sooo i went ahead and took it...of course paying the price of not having proper eye sight:(

All my other scores are acceptable...and my concern is that I may not get interviews bc of that PAT red flag.....is there anything I can do to let schools know of my situation when I took it? I know they don't care much about excuses but still....mine were pretty legit...

:confused:

Hey Sleepless,

I am in almost the exact same situation. I also scored 19/19 but the PAT section was terrible (below 16)! I called almost all of the dental schools I am applying at to ask them if they would note that I was retaking the test in late October. Most of the schools were very receptive and helpful.

Hope this helps...

knj120

Many schools do have a "cut off" date. Usually this falls between the end of October (for many state schools) to all the way to March. Most of them have a cut off before 1/31

DesiDentist