Dartmouth vs. Wayne

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammiesings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wayne.

When I opened this thread, it was to say Dartmouth but after reading your pros and cons, Wayne.

Reactions: 1 users
Dartmouth does rotations in SF. You will probably recieve better one on one treatment there. That being said, Wayne's diversity, in population and pathology are hard to beat. Plenty of people end up in surg from Dartmouth, its just that they all may not want to go into surgery. Hard to give a ya or a nay, but do both programs have home programs for the surgical specialty you are interested in ? Also Wayne students tend to match a lot more in Michigan compared to the others.

Dartmouth does rotations in SF. You will probably recieve better one on one treatment there. That being said, Wayne's diversity, in population and pathology are hard to beat. Plenty of people end up in surg from Dartmouth, its just that they all may not want to go into surgery. Hard to give a ya or a nay, but do both programs have home programs for the surgical specialty you are interested in ? Also Wayne students tend to match a lot more in Michigan compared to the others.
Yeah, sometimes it feels like it really doesn't matter which of these two schools I chose they'd likely be a wash in terms of future career prospects. Both have home programs for the specialties I'm interested in. 2 are generally stronger programs at Dartmouth and 2 are generally stronger at Wayne :(. Also, you can do aways oos/in CA at Wayne too.

BTW, is anyone else surprised by how little Wayne gets talked about on SDN? You'd think with one of the largest student populations and alumni networks, there'd be more threads etc discussing it. However, while researching on here, I discovered that Dartmouth gets way more traffic/talk on here than Wayne does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, sometimes it feels like it really doesn't matter which of these two schools I chose they'd likely be a wash in terms of future career prospects.

BTW, is anyone else surprised by how little Wayne gets talked about on SDN? You'd think with one of the largest student populations and alumni networks, there'd be more threads etc discussing it. However, while researching on here, I discovered that Dartmouth gets way more traffic/talk on here than Wayne does.
I dont know if it is just a michigan thing. Another thing to think of is the lottery surrounding the Clinical Sites at wayne.

I do think wayne has solid matches and home programs considering it is a state program with <32 mcat median.

I'm here on a full-ride at Wayne, definitely choose it. There is a certain peace of mind you get with going to medical school "for free" and I'm pretty confident I'm making the same connections/getting opportunities that I would get at any other elite school. PM me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your 1st post Wayne State is the obvious choice.

If you're interested in trauma there are very few places that offer the same exposure and clinical opportunities.

Both DRH and SGH have been averaging around 3 GSWs per day this month. You'd be lucky to see 3 your whole 4 years at Dartmouth.

Reactions: 1 users