Damn I should have applied to nursing school instead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
shutterstock_107974973.jpg

EDIT: server error i guess. But good find. Allo will love you for this

*gets popcorn ready*

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Surely knowledge, skill, and ability separate nurses from doctors? Of course not." Generalizing much?
Also, comparing nurses to interns is such a silly comparison since it is recognized that interns are still in the heat of the learning process.

I don't agree with the part about an MD being "just a piece of paper that gives you permission to be a doctor" I believe that it is much more in depth than that, Good article; interesting to see other view points

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't quote Scrubs...but is it true that while the nurse might know more than the intern at the start, after a few months the training/education from the interns kick in and "the dynamic flips".

Not sure about the dynamic part, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first part was true?

Now read the pre-med forums about how nursing students and RNs wish they would have applied to medical school because nursing is not satisfying enough. There are pros and cons for both professions, it's all about what is a good fit for a particular person. Only that person can decide, no matter what other people or blogs say.

Reactions: 10 users
"Lifestyle and money? Nope. A primary care doctor makes less than a nurse anesthetist. Some doctors don’t take call anymore, and many nurses do, even those without advanced degrees."

Lol, no.

Pretty sure this is true? Some nurses are "on call" at times (if the ICU is empty and suddenly becomes full, if the cath lab gets activated at 3am on Saturday, etc), some CRNA's make a lot of money, and some MD's don't take call.

Reactions: 1 user
From someone who is a nurse and now pursing medicine, we don't know what we don't know. It's that simple. And any nurse who feels any other way has never had the clinical presentation where it completely deviated so far from the norm that only with deeper clinical knowledge will you be able to spot the source of the problems.

Reactions: 8 users
Pretty sure this is true? Some nurses are "on call" at times (if the ICU is empty and suddenly becomes full, if the cath lab gets activated at 3am on Saturday, etc), some CRNA's make a lot of money, and some MD's don't take call.
Sorry, I was only talking about the salary. I edited the post, but I guess I was too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Surely knowledge, skill, and ability separate nurses from doctors? Of course not...I would suggest to my readers that the only thing that truly separates doctors from nurses is the ultimate responsibility...But the law and society have laid the ultimate privilege and burden on the person that people call “doctor.” That’s the difference."

TIL, the only difference between nurses and doctors is their patient responsibilities. Just ignore the many extra years of training, those are irrelevant.

:bang:

Reactions: 1 users
I would be so down if this line of thinking became mainstream. It's almost the end of my shift and we're swamped? No big, the nurse can handle it. I want to take a month vacation? No worries, we have nurses, they're basically doctors and they can fill in. Not down with the crazy hours of residency? Just have a nurse cover your shifts (she gets overtime!).

What's with all these people trying to give away the profession with lies? The md isn't just a piece of paper, I worked really ****ing hard these past few years and learned so much about the body and about medicine. My mind is full of a million facts and trying to put them together to help my patients isn't an easy task. ****, I remember how scared I was to take a knife to a human body that first day of anatomy. Now I've used one on real people and sewed them up after too. The degree is the most important foundation from which you build up your medical knowledge, learn how to talk to patients and physicians and take care of people

Reactions: 3 users
"Surely knowledge, skill, and ability separate nurses from doctors? Of course not. Your experienced floor nurse knows way more about medicine than your average intern."

Not even close. The nurse may know more about which patient needs which medication and what is the standard dose for that medication, however that's all just practical knowledge that comes from giving the medication to patients over the past 10 years. Even a 3rd year medical student knows way more about medicine than any nurse.

Most nurses can't even read an x-ray to save their life (this includes NPs).

Reactions: 2 users
There shouldn't be any debate as to who knows more than who. Nurses are not taught to learn about the whole philosophy of medicine, so comparing the average floor nurses with interns is like comparing apples to oranges. Nurses are a great asset to the profession, because they act as the eyes and ears of physicians. One thing I do get irritated at times, are when these so called "experience" nurses make clinical/medical suggestions to docs, only to be shot down in an instant. Nurses are really good at identifying things before s*** hits the fan, but the decision and treatment plan should ALWAYS be handled by a licensed physician.

From someone who is a nurse and now pursing medicine, we don't know what we don't know. It's that simple. And any nurse who feels any other way has never had the clinical presentation where it completely deviated so far from the norm that only with deeper clinical knowledge will you be able to spot the source of the problems.
Couldn't agree more

And @toutou that's coming from someone walking the same path as yourself

"Surely knowledge, skill, and ability separate nurses from doctors? Of course not. Your experienced floor nurse knows way more about medicine than your average intern."

Not even close. The nurse may know more about which patient needs which medication and what is the standard dose for that medication, however that's all just practical knowledge that comes from giving the medication to patients over the past 10 years. Even a 3rd year medical student knows way more about medicine than any nurse.

Most nurses can't even read an x-ray to save their life (this includes NPs).

I prefer floor nurses as they don't try to pretend to be doctors and have so much experience while np schools are pumping out all of these weak grads that don't know anything, have no experience and are just obnoxious

I prefer floor nurses as they don't try to pretend to be doctors and have so much experience while np schools are pumping out all of these weak grads that don't know anything, have no experience and are just obnoxious

Many of the nurses I work with who have chosen the NP route, either went back to bedside nursing or have decided to take the medicine route. The responses I get from many is that there is no real autonomy for nurse practitioners, and simply there are no jobs out there for them.

Many of the nurses I work with who have chosen the NP route, either went back to bedside nursing or have decided to take the medicine route. The responses I get from many is that there is no real autonomy for nurse practitioners, and simply there are no jobs out there for them.
good.jpg~c200

Reactions: 1 users
All this talk and im just waiting for DNPs to carry malpractice and take step 1...

I love my profession and am proud to be a nurse. But I will not tolerate those general mill box-top online-DNP program grads coming into MY house (aka, Unit) and constantly ordering things like Guaifenesin syrup for an ACE inhibitor related cough and fighting me about it. And this particular NP would know that, if she had a day of clinical experience in the trenches before her online DNP program with ****ty "capstone" research that qualifies her for a DNP.