D.O. Psychiatrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any D.O. psychiatrists in the hiz-ouse? If so, where did you attend medical school? Did you encounter any difficulties in landing a competitive residency position?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a psych resident, but was considering it for a while.....I contacted several programs all over the country and asked if they accepted COMLEX and if they ever had DOs in their program. I got an overwhelmingly positive response. I believe only a couple of the CA schools would not accept COMLEX. If psych is your passion, you should not have a problem getting a residency.....I would advise you to contact the programs you are interested in and ask if they accept the comlex (if you have not taken USMLE) and if they have ever had any DOs in their program, etc.

The chair of my med school's psych department is a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have found that most programs don't care! There are, however, a few out there that REQUIRE USMLE scores rather than just COMLEX. I did not apply to any of these! The less tests I have to take the better! :mad:

prwunecom,

I PM'd you.

PH

What am I, chopped liver? :laugh: How is the application process going Public Health

I'm from a DO school and have lots of great residency interviews. Although psychiatry is not quite as competitive as some other programs it is certainly becoming more-so. Knowing that, most residencies will take COMLEX scores. I even have interviews at places that said they wouldn't take COMLEX scores solely.

Whether or not those same places rank me highly is another matter :p