D.O. Psychiatrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItNeverEnds

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any D.O.'s here who are interested in psychiatry? If so, which residency programs are you considering?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in Loma Linda, UC Davis, USC, Cedars, OHSU. I am only a 3rd year currently and these are the programs that I have checked out. These programs seem to be somewhat DO friendly. Hopefully, I can add a few more in my 4th year. Which programs are you looking at?

I'm actually not in medical school, yet. I was simply wondering how many osteopathic medical students are pursuing psychiatry.

Hi ItNeverEnds and Histrionic,
I am at NYCOM, and I am very innerested in becoming a psychiatrist. I'm starting a psychiatry club here with a professor here. We are of the same mind w.r.t. treatment, especially hypnosis (Yay Milton Erikson!). I'm looking into doing some research re: Cranial Osteopathic manipulative technique and trance states. So, it's all very new now, but I expect there to be 6-10 students involved by the end of the year. 11 students from our last year's class went into psychiatry. Being a D.O. is not really a handicap here, but that really depends on your geographic location. For example, in California, there are much fewer D.O.'s than in N.Y. My mother, who lives in California, was worried that I'd become a crackerjack snake oil seller, but I've shown her some stuff, and I've turned her head around some. Basically with a "Like chiropractors, but also like regualar doctors," even though our OMM Chair would seethe if he saw that in writing. So what it comes down to, is, ya, there are psychiatrist D.O.'s, no sweat. In New York.
An interesting fact is that a medical license also licenses you to touch (therapeutically) your patient. Imagine OMM and psychiatry, together, working as one! Okay, okay, better stop before my head explodes from the hot air inside it. But its a thought, and neither M.D.'s or Ph.D.'s (or MFT's or LCSW's or priests (gasp!)) for that matter have any inclination or, in the latter cases, the licensure to touch their pt. So, this field is wide open. Better start researching.

Yours,
Daniel
MS-1