Cyanocobalamin and Peripheral Neuropathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been known that cyanocobalamin can be injected subcutaneously under the skin to treat peripheral neuropathy. My question though is:

Can cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) be injected subcutaneously in the ankle to treat peripheral neuropathy in the feet? Thanks. Greatly appreciate medical neurological expertise input on this.

Members don't see this ad.

It has been known that cyanocobalamin can be injected subcutaneously under the skin to treat peripheral neuropathy. My question though is:

Can cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) be injected subcutaneously in the ankle to treat peripheral neuropathy in the feet? Thanks. Greatly appreciate medical neurological expertise input on this.

Parenteral administration (i.e. IM or sub-cu) leads to systemic absorption/distribution of B12. To my knowledge, I have not heard of local administration of B12 providing any additional or enhanced benefit. I usually replete for B12 deficiency using 1000mcg IM daily x 1 week, then 1000mcg IM weekly x 1 month, then 1000mcg monthly. If absorption is not an issue, oral B12 can be an acceptable alternative for maintenance. The deficient patient does need to be on some form of B12 for life thereafter.

Hope this answers your question. :)

This forum (and the message board in general) is not for obtaining medical advice. It is also considered rude to post the same question on 6 different portions of the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.