CVS vs. Walgreens as a new pharmacist (Class of 2020)? Walgreens is offering 46$/hr as a floater, and CVS is offering 53$/hr as a staff pharmacist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuf06150

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a grad intern at Walgreens. Walgreens is offering 46$/hr as a floater, and CVS is offering 53$/hr as a staff pharmacist. I know the computer system at Walgreens, and I have to learn everything if I leave Walgreens and join CVS. Which one should I pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Pick the one that actually offers you a job.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I thought I'd never write these words, but I would work for CVS. Make sure you're applying for other jobs after 3-6 months there.

• Dislike
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I came here to say Walgreens until I saw the pay. Definitely the red devil.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
While CVS is miserable, Walgreens have been striving to catch up and overtake them in the race to the bottom. Their only advantage is the really nice intuitive computer system, and it's not work $7/hour difference. Go with CVS, get paychecks and experience, and once you have experience, keep your eyes and ears peeled for better options. Job search is better once you are both currently employed and have real world experience.

Even as recently as five years ago, if someone told me I would be recommending CVS over Walgreens, I would have laughed...

Reactions: 6 users
As much as I hate to say it, CVS. Walgreens is only a step or two behind in the dbaggery dept, and they have stagnant pay, layoffs, and much more general instability. CVS at least still gives out raises and getting a staff offer is much better than fighting it out in the general float pool.

Reactions: 3 users
What about the computer system of CVS? Is it easy to learn?

I am currently a grad intern at Walgreens. Walgreens is offering 46$/hr as a floater, and CVS is offering 53$/hr as a staff pharmacist. I know the computer system at Walgreens, and I have to learn everything if I leave Walgreens and join CVS. Which one should I pick?
Which state are you in if you do not mind asking?

depends on how competent/good you are and what your goal is.
I would say go with WG first, and learn your skill there, once you are confident move up to CVS,walmart, grocery etc. For a retail career WG is at the absolute bottom for compensation and job security, so it is a good place to leave behind.

CVS represents a good opportunity for $$ if you can work, get hours and save. WG not so much. But man it is tiring.

Plus didn't I just read that Walgreens just hired an ex Rite Aid CEO or something? When you start hiring ex Rite Aid staff, things can't be good and only gonna get worse with one of their people at the helm.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure why this is even up for discussion lol. You're telling me that you spent 4 years learning in pharm school but you're contemplating learning a new computer system for an extra $15K per year and a designated store?
I guess that's all it takes now for new grads to accept lower offers now... learning curve on a computer system that some techs with just a high school diploma can learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap how is it only $46/hr???

Reactions: 1 user
How is this even a question? $7/hr is significant, especially if you're stuck in retail for several years. You'll never see a raise again in retail. So if you're there for 5 years, that's an extra $75,000. Ten years, an extra $150,000. Assuming 40 hours at each.

"But what about the computer system? It'll take me like two weeks to learn a new system!" LMAO.

I've been with WAGs over 4 years and not a single raise. I'd probably go to CVS for a few dollars/hr less if they still give them. Anyone know how much they typically raise per year?

Side note: typing this on a phone is really annoying. Everytime I backspace it just turns my keyboard off...

I've been with WAGs over 4 years and not a single raise. I'd probably go to CVS for a few dollars/hr less if they still give them. Anyone know how much they typically raise per year?

Side note: typing this on a phone is really annoying. Everytime I backspace it just turns my keyboard off...

I went five years at Kroger with no raise. Rumor has it in my area that SOME pharmacists got a 1% raise but not all.

Curious about cvs raise too. I spoke to upper classmates and I don’t think it was a lot. But would love to hear from person who is working for cvs and got the raise.

What state?

I'll answer your question, if you answer mine.

CVS, based on what you have said.

Now why did you ever go to pharmacy school?

I get paid $14 an hour higher than you will and I think it should be more.

How is this even a question? Are you kidding me? Go to CVS, get paid more money, and suck it up.

Reactions: 2 users
Curious about cvs raise too. I spoke to upper classmates and I don’t think it was a lot. But would love to hear from person who is working for cvs and got the raise.

50 cents - $1 if you're lucky nowadays. Most likely nothing for this year and beyond.

• Wow
I'll answer your question if you answer mine.

CVS, based on what you have said.

Now, why did you ever go to pharmacy school?

I get paid $14 an hour higher than you will, and I think it should be more.
What to do? I am already in the profession. I just need to finish my loans first. Can not do that, not working.

I would take CVS. Full time staff. You will get your hours. Floater, you may not get full 40 hrs. Be prepared with CVS, training goes by quick and next thing you know they will stick in you a store by yourself with no tech. Walgreens I have heard provides at least one tech per shift

If you don’t get full 40 hrs, which is expected in a floater position, Walgreens may not pay you $46 per hour. Hours of work determines how much you will be paid. Make sure CVS is giving you 40 hr work weeks

If you taking that FT CVS job i'd do some quick research on the area so you can brace yourself mentally (i.e., you might not want to drive a nice car to work and if you're a woman park relatively close to the entrance). Some areas are clown shows, which is why some hiring managers are desperate to slot a new grad FT pharmacist in one of those rare job openings.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
I would take CVS. Full time staff. You will get your hours. Floater, you may not get full 40 hrs. Be prepared with CVS, training goes by quick and next thing you know they will stick in you a store by yourself with no tech. Walgreens I have heard provides at least one tech per shift

If you don’t get full 40 hrs, which is expected in a floater position, Walgreens may not pay you $46 per hour. Hours of work determines how much you will be paid. Make sure CVS is giving you 40 hr work weeks
This is true. In California,I was told floaters gets 20 -25 hours But even staff don’t get 40 hours. This year they hired all new grads as floaters in my market. I asked my recruiters about hours and I was told that we Will get 30 hours as full time. 30 hours is nothing!

I know a new grad that got 30 hrs min $65/hr cvs LA area. Current going rate is $55-60/hr though without connections

I went five years at Kroger with no raise. Rumor has it in my area that SOME pharmacists got a 1% raise but not all.

Yes, this year was the first year in a while that RPhs received raises. On the compensation statement, it said it was a special adjustment though. I believe 1% was the max also and not everybody got it.

The pay band at Kroger has steadily decrease YoY also.

What to do? I am already in the profession. I just need to finish my loans first. Can not do that, not working.

You weren't when you decided to go to school approximately 6 years ago 2014. That's what I am trying to understand and I am not trying to be critical.

Money and guaranteed hours in this market. No question.

You weren't when you decided to go to school approximately 6 years ago 2014. That's what I am trying to understand and I am not trying to be critical.

He/she heard about all the pharmacists making $60+/hr and ignored what everyone said about saturation because 1) it wouldn't affect them, only everyone else 2) "passion" 3) "they want to help people"

• Haha
Was with Wag for 5 years before switching to specialty. Just based on pay, I would say CVS. HOWEVER, I did read where a new grad received an offer for CVS that required that they sign a restrictive covenant agreement, basically saying that they can't work at any competitors (Wag, independent, etc) for 18 MONTHS after leaving CVS if they quit. Not sure how they would enforce this, and it is second-hand info, but I think it's still worth considering.

So as long as there isn't some sort of clause like that attached to the job, I think most would say CVS. Then start applying to other more desirable jobs as soon as possible.

Was with Wag for 5 years before switching to specialty. Just based on pay, I would say CVS. HOWEVER, I did read where a new grad received an offer for CVS that required that they sign a restrictive covenant agreement, basically saying that they can't work at any competitors (Wag, independent, etc) for 18 MONTHS after leaving CVS if they quit. Not sure how they would enforce this, and it is second-hand info, but I think it's still worth considering.

So as long as there isn't some sort of clause like that attached to the job, I think most would say CVS. Then start applying to other more desirable jobs as soon as possible.
I'm no lawyer but I've always been told that these crazy restrictive clauses are not legally enforceable. Kind of a moot point here anyway though

Does anyone know if for CVS and/or Wags, pharmacist pay rate goes up after working a full year as a "new grad pharmacist"? I know they do that at some grocery chains.

• Haha

Tell them to go pound sand. What are they going to do, stalk you for 18 months after you leave? Have fun doing that for people who move out of state.

Does anyone know if for CVS and/or Wags, pharmacist pay rate goes up after working a full year as a "new grad pharmacist"? I know they do that at some grocery chains.

LoL nope. New grads are lucky to have any job at all. Expect no raises or bonuses from now on. Walgreens hasn't had raises or bonuses in like 3 years.

LOL..... wait you’re seriously asking?

• Haha
Agreed. It isn’t even a cost of living adjustment.

It's laughable... that's what it is. When I was there I asked my DM why we hadn't got any raises in five years. The response was, "we should have never got any raises the last few years. This is industry standard." So glad I went federal where I will get raises well beyond what my max salary could have been even if I stayed with Kroger.

Lol, there is no way they can track people moving to a company after 18 months. What are they going to exactly do?

• Wow
Meawhile Kaiser pharmacists being paid $80/hr with mandatory annual raises that kinda cover cost of living increases

Also CVS can screw you over and put on on a LOLblacklist that somehow other employers actually look up? SDN thread "Pharmacist blacklisted on global database Esteem"
But it’s so hard to get hired at Kaiser. I spoke to pharmacist who worked for them, he said he never got hours as hours were based on seniority. He actually liked cvs better lol

Yeah, average yearly inflation hovers around 2-3%. You're effectively making less every year with a 1% "raise".

Found another example of being aware of where you work

If you live in California, go to the Megan's Law website and search by zip codes nearby.

I found 8 customers (1 woman) who go to my pharmacy. Regular customers, chronic opioids, maintenance meds. None of them actually stir up any trouble

I looked it up about 4 years ago and didn't notice anyone: California Megans Law

Found another example of being aware of where you work

If you live in California, go to the Megan's Law website and search by zip codes nearby.

I found 8 customers (1 woman) who go to my pharmacy. Regular customers, chronic opioids, maintenance meds. None of them actually stir up any trouble

I looked it up about 4 years ago and didn't notice anyone: California Megans Law

one of our two regulars moved away and the other is in here ALL THE TIME. haven't checked this in a few years...

Either is a good stepping stone into hating your profession.... Having worked at CVS, I wouldn't pick CVS.

If I was Bruce Willis from Armageddon and I had to press that button to save earth, I would purposely not press it so I can kill CVS.

Walgreens stock is tanking big time, especially since they hired a new CEO. Go with the company that is better off financially.

Walgreens stock is tanking big time, especially since they hired a new CEO. Go with the company that is better off financially.
CVS isnt better off lol Aetna merger has been a disaster. No company is doing well when they have to sacrifice their own employees to survive.

Thank you all for your advice. I started at CVS.

I heard CVS would help pharmacists to pay back loans. Do you guys know anything about it?

• Haha
  • Love