Cvicu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katheudontas parateroumen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As I’m looking into my first attending job one of the ones I’m interested in is a semi academic CVICU. Although not my top choice as in my training cv surgeons are tough to work with; the location pay etc hits the check boxes in my search. To be honest though, I’m not too comfortable handing VV/VA ECMO, LVADs on my own. Not super high volumes. They have heart failure service but I’ll have to see what their input generally is. Is this something I can learn on the go or should I not try looking into this job for now? Just jump right in? I’m upfront with the group with what I think are my limitations at the moment but I am more than willing to learn and dive in. Thoughts? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you CAN learn and get good at those things on the job with the correct and supportive mentorship. The question is DO YOU WANT TOO?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's a very different patient population, but I think it's learnable, though per jdh having supportive mentorship is going to be REALLY important. When things go wrong with your ECMO/impella/LVAD patients, or even your post op hearts without those things, they can go wrong very very fast. Faster than many MICU patients. I will have done 6 months over 2 years and my comfort with these patients is very different than fellows that have done maybe 1-2 months total. And the helpfulness of your heart failure service can be quite variable.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions as I will be working with this patient population as part of my first attending job.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can learn on the job, but doing a couple things will give you a big head up. One is try to get some TEE and TTE experience and take the advanced periop TEE exam. The second is take an ELSO-approved 2 or 3 day ECMO course if your fellowship doesn't offer much ECMO/MCS experience. Third is start reading (and watching videos like Navin Kapur at Tufts' presentations) voraciously right now because there is so much in the cardiac anesthesia/CT surgery/advanced HF literature that you have not learned in your training.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If this is your first attending job, without any prior extensive exposure in this field, I would recommend caution.

There are large variations on the amount of support you get. Some places are highly protocolized, with perfusionists, on-site surgeon/fellow, device reps etc that can help out. Many other places can have minimal support, especially after regular working hours.

If you are new to this patient population, a good mentor (ideally a whole group of mentor) is critical. You need a pretty specific skillset to be a good open heart ICU doc, and you can't learn that from a weekend course.

Finally, know what kind of work environment you're joining. These programs can attract some toxic personalities, usually the CVT surgeons. Some CVT groups are also very outcome/metric obsessed; these factors can add up to make the job feel like a pressure cooker for the new guy.

Reactions: 2 users