Cutting the neck to get to wood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tx oms

Welcome to Thunderdome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, omfs guys, how does your program approach a mandible fracture extraorally? We have three attendings with three methods:

1. Hayes-Marting technique
2. Start the Hayes-Martin, then get impatient and Bovie to bone
3. Go layer by layer, nerve testing all the way

It seems to me that 1 and 2 give the best exposure. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no friggin idea what this tread means, but the title is a little freaky-deaky X rated... :laugh:

Sorry, now carry on with the serious converstation of slicing patients necks and what not.

Well, lets see. We use the hayes martin technique, the second technique you describe would be dumb to use. The third technique is a waste of time which is why the hayes martin technique was invented.

For all you dent students out there who don't know what the hayes martin technique is, it is a technique whereby you identify the facial artery and vein and if you stay on a fascial plane below the two vessels (accomplished by dissecting below the vessels when you find them) you will not get to(and possibly cut) the marginal mandibular nerve.

remeber the marginal mandibular nerve allows you to move your lips.....like when TX OMS makes out with other men, he uses that nerve.

Ok, just found out it was you who started this thread......oops.

Members don't see this ad :)
north2southOMFS said:
remeber the marginal mandibular nerve allows you to move your lips.....like when TX OMS makes out with other men, he uses that nerve.
Here's an exclusive pic of TX OMS and a "friend"

07.jpg

The friend just learned of the marginal mandibular nerve damage TX OMS suffered at the hands of someone utilizing technique "#2". :smuggrin:

ISU_Steve said:
Here's an exclusive pic of TX OMS and a "friend"

07.jpg

The friend just learned of the marginal mandibular nerve damage TX OMS suffered at the hands of someone utilizing technique "#2". :smuggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So if you wake up with morning wood, do you still have to slice the neck to get wood or can you just call it a day?

north2southOMFS said:
Well, lets see. We use the hayes martin technique, the second technique you describe would be dumb to use. The third technique is a waste of time which is why the hayes martin technique was invented.
Hey, dumbfcuk, since we're in the same residency and I'm ahead of you, I guess I probably know what "we" use. And, "we" (those of us allowed to operate--not you) don't use the Hayes Martin technique alone. We use all the methods. Way to call your attending's method dumb, though. I'll forward that to him.

I'm not even going to put the picture up. You know you have been owned like no one ever has.

Toofache, what do you do in Dallas?

We use HM technique if you are talking about an angle fracture needing a recon plate. Otherwise, we do vitually every man fx transorally. At the angle we usually use some type of modified two-plate technique.

tx oms said:
Depends on the staff. Fast Eddie very rarely goes extraoral unless he's putting in a bone graft. I've actually only been involved in one of those with him and I honestly can't remember how he managed the nerve. Probably because I have learned to sleep without falling into the wound while holding the sticks.

tx oms said:
Hey, dumbfcuk, since we're in the same residency and I'm ahead of you, I guess I probably know what "we" use. And, "we" (those of us allowed to operate--not you) don't use the Hayes Martin technique alone. We use all the methods. Way to call your attending's method dumb, though. I'll forward that to him.

I'm not even going to put the picture up. You know you have been owned like no one ever has.

hey did you guys ever get that guy from UF as an extern this year?