Coursework & Fieldwork Current students: Books to rent vs buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT20162017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently looking into buying books for my first semester and I was wondering if any current students had any thoughts on buying vs. renting books? When visiting programs I know it was mentioned that buying books was helpful to study for the NBCOT exam, but do we need to buy them all? Are there books you would recommend buying?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely buy your Physical Dysfunction, Peds and Mental Health texts; you'll want those as references for the NBCOT. But you can save a ton of money by price-comparison shopping through various websites and buying used books.

Definitely buy your Physical Dysfunction, Peds and Mental Health texts; you'll want those as references for the NBCOT. But you can save a ton of money by price-comparison shopping through various websites and buying used books.

In addition:

Reed's quick reference to OT
Documentation for OT-writing SOAP notes.
Guide that has some dissection/cadaver guide/pics if your school requires a cadaver lab.

@c2902 were those texts by Pedretti's for phys dysfunction? Case-Obrien for Children?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition:

Reed's quick reference to OT
Documentation for OT-writing SOAP notes.
Guide that has some dissection/cadaver guide/pics if your school requires a cadaver lab.

@c2902 were those texts by Pedretti's for phys dysfunction? Case-Obrien for Children?
Oh yeah, forgot about the QRG (Reed) - any general reference guide to disorders is a good one you'll hit up multiple times throughout the program. Yes, Case-Smith & O'Brien for Peds. We used Radomski/Latham (aka Trombly) for Phys Dys, but I know that of this year, they're switching to Pedretti. I still passed the NBCOT on the first try, though.

Hello!

I am currently looking into buying books for my first semester and I was wondering if any current students had any thoughts on buying vs. renting books? When visiting programs I know it was mentioned that buying books was helpful to study for the NBCOT exam, but do we need to buy them all? Are there books you would recommend buying?

Thanks!

You will definitely want to BUY! You will definitely be using these books during your fieldwork's and after you graduate. Also, these are easy reference sources for papers in future OT classes. Grad school isn't a place to cut corners... veryvery different from undergrad. Good luck!!

Books like robbin's patho you probably will never read again. It is a pointless buy. The OT books are probably keepers like the ones we mentioned. I still refer to some of them from 1st semester.

Ask current students on FB or whatever if professors have course packs. Never bought the text for anatomy, physio, or biomechanics. The course packs were 700+ pages. Just look at it on a tablet and save a tree and cash.