Navy Current HSCP - Need advice / info on Navy GME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InagStudentCICOM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Please point my in the right direction if this has already been addressed thoroughly somewhere. I'm having trouble finding some of the basic answers for how Navy GME works, what I need to do to be competitive, if and how I can do visiting rotations at Navy locations, and if that would make any competitive difference in avoiding a GMO. Prior service Army and Air Force, so please forgive my ignorance with Navy lingo.

Members don't see this ad.

First question is when your school allows away rotations. Once you know that, you should call the GME offices at the Navy MTFs and apply for rotations as early as possible. Then, as a MS4, you’ll apply for internship. By then, the rest of the process will make sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Your visiting rotations will help your chances of going straight through secondarily by allowing the staff there to know you a bit better. If you have the scores and CV to back up a good impression you are maximizing your chances. Unfortunately so much can happen between PGY-1 match and PGY-2 application. Just focus on building solid relationships with the people you work with and focus your efforts on matching for internship first.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

Please point my in the right direction if this has already been addressed thoroughly somewhere. I'm having trouble finding some of the basic answers for how Navy GME works, what I need to do to be competitive, if and how I can do visiting rotations at Navy locations, and if that would make any competitive difference in avoiding a GMO. Prior service Army and Air Force, so please forgive my ignorance with Navy lingo.

The following advice is based on the rules when I applied and I won't swear that nothing has changed. Trust but verify.

You will apply for rotations at each Navy hospital for your desired specialty as soon as you know when you can schedule them. Ideally you want them close to (but obviously before) the PDs need to finalize their rank lists for the match. It is important to rotate through at least two Navy programs, and to interview at least by phone with every residency in your desired specialty.

To be competitive for the Internship match you need what any civilian candidate needs: step scores = grades > research > preclinical grades > everything else. The only difference is that at least two of the programs will have seen you work for a month, so if you a very strong or weak candidate in person it can overcome the numbers somewhat more than in the civilian match.

The question of the GMO tour comes up in the Residency match, which happens in December of your Intern year. Unlike the Intern match, the residency match is based on a points system, and whoever has the most points gets to continue on. Most of the points are assigned by the PD you're working for, so its still largely about your stats and your performance during Intern year, but there are non-negotiable points for research and prior service that do sometimes force a PD to keep a less preferred resident. So if you really want to minimize your chances of straight through training max out your research points. Research points are as follows:
4 points: multiple Journal articles in peer reviewed journals
3 points: a single journal article in a peer reviewed journal
2 points: multiple poster presentations or articles in in house student journals
1 point: a single poster presentation or article in an in house student journal

Of course the biggest trick to avoiding a GMO tour is to choose a specialty that sends most of the residency class straight through. So Peds, IM, FM, or Psych. Many of the other specialties only send one person through per class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks a lot for the advice. You are all kind of saying similar things, which is nice.
One of my friends doing a GMO tour down in pensacola said that civilian deferment counts toward retirement, is that true? Most everything else I read said it doesn't.

Thanks a lot for the advice. You are all kind of saying similar things, which is nice.
One of my friends doing a GMO tour down in pensacola said that civilian deferment counts toward retirement, is that true? Most everything else I read said it doesn't.
Counts toward rank and years in service for pay purposes...not for retirement.
Maybe reserve/guard retirement like HPSP years apparently do...but not AD retirement.

Hello Inagural student to CICOM, no tuition for the inagural class, yeah, I see the logic behind HSCP for you!

Teacherman is right. Concurs with this other blogger that I googled, since I am very rusty
on this stuff, it's been a long time.
Understanding Civilian Sponsored Residency

I stayed at the Navy Gateway Inn in San Diego for my rotation there, way back in the dark ages.
I cannot emphasize the importance of a rotation.

Best!

The only one that would count towards retirement is FTOS, but you do PT/drug testing while in civilian residency

Hello Inagural student to CICOM, no tuition for the inagural class, yeah, I see the logic behind HSCP for you!

Teacherman is right. Concurs with this other blogger that I googled, since I am very rusty
on this stuff, it's been a long time.
Understanding Civilian Sponsored Residency

I stayed at the Navy Gateway Inn in San Diego for my rotation there, way back in the dark ages.
I cannot emphasize the importance of a rotation.

Best!

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to do as many away rotations as I can.