Curious about potential Texas residency programs "rivalry"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LavenderDreams

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am an incoming MS1 so a total newbie and very grateful for making it into medical school. I am considering dermatology as one of the specialties I want to explore in medical school to see if I'd be a good fit. I've been looking at Match Lists for the past few years out of curiosity and I am noticing (and someone mentioned it at some point during a presentation) that some programs don't seem to match students from other programs. Particularly, I have heard and noticed that UT Houston or Baylor programs don't match many students from UTMB, and vice versa a little bit. Is there an unspoken thing going on between these two areas - Houston programs and UTMB in Galveston? Please don't throw eggs at me lol I know that most program directors will say the school doesn't matter and that the applicant does, so they will take the most qualified candidates regardless. However, I can't help but notice the lack of UTMB folks matched into UT Houston or Baylor residencies in Derm. Thanks so much! I could be totally crazy and imagining things, but I was just wondering if this beloved community had anything to say abut this :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How attractive are you?

Your best shot is probably at your home program which I assume is UTMB