Curious about applying for a “backup specialty” on residency application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted849476

So as a first year DO student interested in a competitive surgical specialty, Ive been gearing up to prepare for my first choice specialty over the course of med school with all the regular good grades, boards, etc., as well as specialty-specific research and networking... But, it makes me wonder what people do to play it safe when also applying to their backup specialties, especially if their first and 2nd choices are very different. For example I’d say my “backup“ at the moment is IM and for my application strategy I imagine I would go all out applying into my first choice and then just soaping IM if I don’t get it (or soaping after a second failed app, etc.). But what would those non surgical programs think looking at my app with leadership in surgery clubs, surgery research, etc, even assuming I at least have LoRs for IM? Wouldn’t my app be dead on arrival? I’d like to say gen surgery is my “backup” and I see myself ranking some more attainable GS programs but even that is a challenge to match and obviously at some point I’d just rather match medicine and go to work than apply endlessly and do multiple research and prelim years.

Members don't see this ad.

for my application strategy I imagine I would go all out applying into my first choice and then just soaping IM if I don’t get it (or soaping after a second failed app, etc.)

I think you’d just dual apply. Haven’t looked at the numbers recently (also an M1) but IIRC planning to SOAP is unnecessarily risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You have a completely separate app. Different letters, different personal statement, etc.

They will still see all the surgery leadership stuff so you will need to come up with a good answer for why X specialty.

I’m pretty sure residency apps aren’t like med school apps - we probably won’t need to disclose everything we’re done in school to every program.

Its all on one ERAS application, so they will see it. Unless you just leave it off your application completely.

the only customizable aspects are the LOR and PS portions.

Reactions: 5 users