CUNY Post-Bacc - Non-Degree or Second Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RichardSM

Reaction score
Has anyone gone through the CUNY system for their postbacc as a Non-Degree student? From the looks of things, it makes more financial sense to apply as a second degree student, complete my course work, then drop out, as the tuition is cheaper. Coming in as a Non-degree seeking student looks like it's a higher cost-per-credit.
I am closest to Brooklyn College but I can commute anywhere if it's worth it.

So is it optimal to go Second-degree then drop out? Or am I missing some information to inform my decision? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE 2021: since people are still checking this post out, I should mention that I decided to do the post-bacc program at CCNY, as a fully enrolled part-time student. It kind of straddles the line between a DIY and a formal program. I absolutely love it, and Belinda Smith, who runs it, is awesome. Happy to answer any questions on that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I have. Second degree is cheaper but it often comes with hurdles such as mandatory advising and approval from the department of your major (depending on which CUNY school). And you still end up with last dibs on courses. And you also have to wait like a college freshman to see if you are accepted or rejected. Non-degree apps are more direct and fast.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I have. Second degree is cheaper but it often comes with hurdles such as mandatory advising and approval from the department of your major (depending on which CUNY school). And you still end up with last dibs on courses. And you also have to wait like a college freshman to see if you are accepted or rejected. Non-degree apps are more direct and fast.
Do you think this can be a bit McGyvered by strategically choosing a school that is less competitive overall? I wonder how Baruch compares to Hunter compares to Queens College compares to John Jay in terms of pre-med options?

I'm in the same boat where I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and apply as a second degree. Over a year or more, saving $420 per course or more sounds preferable, especially while online courses seem to remain open thanks to covid.

Can anyone speak to what labs have been like for online students in CUNY schools? Are they using some kind of virtual lab or sticking to small-group in-person labs like some schools?

Members don't see this ad :)

I was at CCNY 2009-2012 for prereqs.

Second degree typically registers after the seniors, but nondegree registers last of all, so you want to avoid it at all costs! Take a look at the registration schedule at your campus of interest, but nondegree is for sure last. It's hard enough registering as a second degree, forget about non.

At CCNY, mandatory 2nd degree advising was minimal--just stop by for a rubber stamp once a semester.

No one on this board, including me, knows anything about the new CCNY postbac program, which apparently hasn't started yet despite the 2019 date on the website, except that it costs like $10,000 more than regular tuition and SUPPOSEDLY has sections just for premeds.

Based on my hunting around the Manhattan schools, Brooklyn, and QC, one has to go REALLY out of the way to make registration significantly easier. Like Lehman or Medgar Evers.

Do you think this can be a bit McGyvered by strategically choosing a school that is less competitive overall? I wonder how Baruch compares to Hunter compares to Queens College compares to John Jay in terms of pre-med options?

I'm in the same boat where I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and apply as a second degree. Over a year or more, saving $420 per course or more sounds preferable, especially while online courses seem to remain open thanks to covid.

Can anyone speak to what labs have been like for online students in CUNY schools? Are they using some kind of virtual lab or sticking to small-group in-person labs like some schools?

If you're going just for your pre-reqs, any CUNY is fine but if you need advanced science courses for gpa repair, a school like Baruch or JJ may not have many electives to offer compared to say that of Hunter. Now a pro with going non-degree is that you can take courses at multiple CUNYs. In theory though, you can still do the same as a degree student through their E-permit.

Some labs are on Labster. Others are just looking at data collected by grad students and post-doc and you make reports about it.

I was at CCNY 2009-2012 for prereqs.

Second degree typically registers after the seniors, but nondegree registers last of all, so you want to avoid it at all costs! Take a look at the registration schedule at your campus of interest, but nondegree is for sure last. It's hard enough registering as a second degree, forget about non.

At CCNY, mandatory 2nd degree advising was minimal--just stop by for a rubber stamp once a semester.

No one on this board, including me, knows anything about the new CCNY postbac program, which apparently hasn't started yet despite the 2019 date on the website, except that it costs like $10,000 more than regular tuition and SUPPOSEDLY has sections just for premeds.

Based on my hunting around the Manhattan schools, Brooklyn, and QC, one has to go REALLY out of the way to make registration significantly easier. Like Lehman or Medgar Evers.

Damn..that's a lot of money for seat safety

Reactions: 1 users
If you're going just for your pre-reqs, any CUNY is fine but if you need advanced science courses for gpa repair, a school like Baruch or JJ may not have many electives to offer compared to say that of Hunter. Now a pro with going non-degree is that you can take courses at multiple CUNYs. In theory though, you can still do the same as a degree student through their E-permit.

Some labs are on Labster. Others are just looking at data collected by grad students and post-doc and you make reports about it.
Do you know if data collected by grad students and post-docs and making reports is also what in-person lab classes are like? Or is that specific to the times right now? I ask because I had some really hit or miss labs in undergrad, even at a Top 20. Bio labs were great, everything else was tedious group work with worksheets.

Definitely looking at Hunter tonight just in terms of sheer catalog load.

Do you know if data collected by grad students and post-docs and making reports is also what in-person lab classes are like? Or is that specific to the times right now? I ask because I had some really hit or miss labs in undergrad, even at a Top 20. Bio labs were great, everything else was tedious group work with worksheets.

Definitely looking at Hunter tonight just in terms of sheer catalog load.

That is specific to the times right now. It seems labs will remain online next term too with some exceptions.
Hunter should be fine. Just take note it is the easily the most populated CUNY of them all

Reactions: 1 user
I should add that I loved CCNY--it was a fantastic experience. Just impossible to get classes, that's all.

The in-person labs seemed totally normal to me--for example, chemistry was exactly what I did in AP chem 1000 years ago. In orgo we synthesized stuff, in physics we messed with crazy demo equipment, etc.

Has anyone gone through the CUNY system for their postbacc as a Non-Degree student? From the looks of things, it makes more financial sense to apply as a second degree student, complete my course work, then drop out, as the tuition is cheaper. Coming in as a Non-degree seeking student looks like it's a higher cost-per-credit.

So is it optimal to go Second-degree then drop out? Or am I missing some information to inform my decision? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I'm a second degree student at CUNY York. Had a friend who got in as a non-degree, $500 difference in tuition for a 4-credit class we both took together. So far, I haven't had issues with registering for classes and my York premed advisor is very well-connected in the premed community. Each CUNY school has its pros and cons, just be aware of what matters to you. Hunter is known as the cream of the crop especially for Biology, MLS and premed but it's also a known weeder. Tuition is slightly higher too.

Do you know if the online or hybrid format classes at any of the CUNY schools show up as “online” on the transcript? Looking to retake some pre-reqs as a non degree student but most of the classes are online

Do you know if the online or hybrid format classes at any of the CUNY schools show up as “online” on the transcript? Looking to retake some pre-reqs as a non degree student but most of the classes are online
At least looking at my unofficial transcript from CCNY, they don't mention that they were online. Can't say if that would carry over to official transcripts. But as it's been mentioned a lot on here, a lot of med schools understand that many of us would be taking the courses in person if we had the option. It's not like we're choosing online courses over in-person.

Hybrid classes at CCNY aren't happening till the fall, and even then, it sounds like the only certain in-person experiences will be science labs, with the lectures online.

I'm a second degree student at CUNY York. Had a friend who got in as a non-degree, $500 difference in tuition for a 4-credit class we both took together. So far, I haven't had issues with registering for classes and my York premed advisor is very well-connected in the premed community. Each CUNY school has its pros and cons, just be aware of what matters to you. Hunter is known as the cream of the crop especially for Biology, MLS and premed but it's also a known weeder. Tuition is slightly higher too.
Hi, how are your classes at York so far? I need to take physics, Bio and Orgo, any professor recommendations for these subjects at york? I am coming from taking a course at Hunter and it was brutal so I'm deciding to keep my post-bacc DIY journey elsewhere, I am thinking Suny Purchase or York, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, how are your classes at York so far? I need to take physics, Bio and Orgo, any professor recommendations for these subjects at york? I am coming from taking a course at Hunter and it was brutal so I'm deciding to keep my post-bacc DIY journey elsewhere, I am thinking Suny Purchase or York, thanks!
Remember at CUNY you can e-permit classes anywhere In the system as long as your a cuny student! You don't have to transfer CUNY's to take courses at other CUNY schools. Example I start my DIY post bacc next Fall at Lehman. The chemistry schedule doesn't work for me so I Wille permit get chem and orgs chem at bcc while taking Bio at Lehman and possible calc my first year!

Remember at CUNY you can e-permit classes anywhere In the system as long as your a cuny student! You don't have to transfer CUNY's to take courses at other CUNY schools. Example I start my DIY post bacc next Fall at Lehman. The chemistry schedule doesn't work for me so I Wille permit get chem and orgs chem at bcc while taking Bio at Lehman and possible calc my first year!
Hi, I am currently a non-degree student so I assumed I cannot e-permit since I was told this was available for part-time or undergrads, are you an enrolled student, (part-time, undergrad etc?)

Hi, I am currently a non-degree student so I assumed I cannot e-permit since I was told this was available for part-time or undergrads, are you an enrolled student, (part-time, undergrad etc?)
Im a second degree since tuition is cheaper and I can e permit if needed since all classes aren't available at my home campus . Plus I get senior status for registration. a non degree seeking student path would cause to many hassles

Im a second degree since tuition is cheaper and I can e permit if needed since all classes aren't available at my home campus . Plus I get senior status for registration. a non degree seeking student path would cause to many hassles
Thank you, I'm also considering a second degree or minor, since I also have a Bachelors in Business, thank so much for your advice again!

Thank you, I'm also considering a second degree or minor, since I also have a Bachelors in Business, thank so much for your advice again!
Hello, I just want to chime in and echo with what @harleythe2nd said. I'm also a 2nd degree seeking student for my cuny diy post bacc. since you already have a 4 year degree, applying as a second degree seeking student is super easy, it took me 30 minutes (no personal statement, letters of rec)or anything needed besides a proof of diploma. good luck!

Hello, I just want to chime in and echo with what @harleythe2nd said. I'm also a 2nd degree seeking student for my cuny diy post bacc. since you already have a 4 year degree, applying as a second degree seeking student is super easy, it took me 30 minutes (no personal statement, letters of rec)or anything needed besides a proof of diploma. good luck!
Wow thank you so much, what cuny are you attending? I was looking into it, this evening, I might just do it tonight :)

Wow thank you so much, what cuny are you attending? I was looking into it, this evening, I might just do it tonight :)
Hello, I'm technically enrolled in one of the brooklyn ones but I'm e-permitting classes across the city with little trouble!

Hi, how are your classes at York so far? I need to take physics, Bio and Orgo, any professor recommendations for these subjects at york? I am coming from taking a course at Hunter and it was brutal so I'm deciding to keep my post-bacc DIY journey elsewhere, I am thinking Suny Purchase or York, thanks! WasHi, I thinking about applying

hi ,
I am applying ~ Hunter Postbacc program. How was the experience for you with the Post bacc Program ? What does Brutal mean? in terms of wok pad? Or like the teaching?

I have a gpa of 3.68 (international) .
I am considering options like City College, Brooklyn College, Rutgers Post Bacc.
i was accepted in Coty college Fordhm and farmingdale.
But considering to go to Brooklyn / Hunter or Rutgers.
Rutger is my first stop.

Wht is it opinion??

Are conventional Post Bacc hard in New York?? Are DIY postBacc better? considering I am an international student and would lie Linkages like Rutgers.
not sure how rigorous they are though.

What does e-permit mean? Ian considering of applying to CUNY Hunter or Brooklyn. What is your experience with CUNY
At
Brooklyn College. I actually live in midtown so the travel is like an hour for me. How are classes atCUNY? I am an international student it’s GpA of 3.68 ; so you think If I work really hard I should be to get Good in Brooklyn??
Also what is with the e-permit of classes ? I got accepted into City college Post Bacc but heard bad things about it.
I got accepted in Fordham , Coty College and Farmingdale.
Farmingdale is cheap but too far for me.

I m confused hog one to go to.

There are other programs like Rutgers which has some linkages with post-bacc courses.

Is getting into Medical school guaranteed if you achieve the required stats?

UPDATE 2021: since people are still checking this post out, I should mention that I decided to do the post-bacc program at CCNY, as a fully enrolled part-time student. It kind of straddles the line between a DIY and a formal program. I absolutely love it, and Belinda Smith, who runs it, is awesome. Happy to answer any questions on that.
Hi , I got accepted into CCNY last year . But I read on Reddit that Belinda smith is not good and stuff. I talked to her on video call I liked her. I also read about having difficulties to get courses enrolled for being non degree . Is finding slots for classes easy at City college? Is it okay for me to work while I study given my timings won’t be free in the evenings?

Anywayhow is post bacc at City college ? How is the LOR process? Is it a rigorous course?
How easy or hard is it to get 3.7 ? How long does it ideally take to complete it if you are a full time student.( with no other work ) And how long for part time?
How was your experience with MCAT?

Considering I am an international student and not sure whether I should got to CCNY or Rutgers because of the linkage program there.

Wil linkage really matter if I have good gpa , mcat and other things?

Please share your overall experience .
Also what is classified as in state resident? What if I am not a permanent resident who lived in New York for a year now with work and study permit. No visa needed

I should add that I loved CCNY--it was a fantastic experience. Just impossible to get classes, that's all.

The in-person labs seemed totally normal to me--for example, chemistry was exactly what I did in AP chem 1000 years ago. In orgo we synthesized stuff, in physics we messed with crazy demo equipment, etc. Post
I am thinking of doing post-bacc course there o please let me know if registering is difficult for that as well

Is it easy to find classes at CCNy. I was accepted at City college .
Heard that it is bery difficult to register for classes as priority is given to Undergrads degree students.
Please let me know

I would want to start City college this summer or fall

Is it easy to find classes at CCNy. I was accepted at City college .
Heard that it is bery difficult to register for classes as priority is given to Undergrads degree students.
Please let me know

I would want to start City college this summer or fall
If you look further up in the thread, a participant in the cony post-bacc program did say registering for classes was tough so just keep that in mind.
honestly, it doesn't matter where you do your post-bacc whether formal within a structured program or just by yourself, just do well.
e-permit refers to enrolled degree CUNY students who wish to take courses at another CUNY school. I think you formally have to be a second-degree student to do it but if you're a non-degree you can apply to several cuny campuses at the same time as a non-degree student in each of them.

I'm not aware of linkages through CUNY. I think Hunter post-bacc used to have them but not sure anymore. I believe NYU and Columbia have several linkages if we're talking schools in the city. Just be aware, some of these "linkages" may just be guaranteed interviews instead of acceptances so you should look online at the colleges' websites to check the details.

If you look further up in the thread, a participant in the cony post-bacc program did say registering for classes was tough so just keep that in mind.
honestly, it doesn't matter where you do your post-bacc whether formal within a structured program or just by yourself, just do well.
e-permit refers to enrolled degree CUNY students who wish to take courses at another CUNY school. I think you formally have to be a second-degree student to do it but if you're a non-degree you can apply to several cuny campuses at the same time as a non-degree student in each of them.

I'm not aware of linkages through CUNY. I think Hunter post-bacc used to have them but not sure anymore. I believe NYU and Columbia have several linkages if we're talking schools in the city. Just be aware, some of these "linkages" may just be guaranteed interviews instead of acceptances so you should look online at the colleges' websites to check the details.
Is it possible to beat the way about this Non-degree thing.
Can I enroll in Second degree that somehow could make me complete pre-reqs and just drop out when I am done?

Is it possible to beat the way about this Non-degree thing.
Can I enroll in Second degree that somehow could make me complete pre-reqs and just drop out when I am done?
You can do second-degree and opt not to finish it later, yes.
Just take note for some schools, you need to meet with an advisor of the major you select to approve course selection every semester so just take note of that.

Which degree course do you think are they? Bachelors in Biology? I am not able to find them In Lehman.

Which degree course do you think are they? Bachelors in Biology? I am not able to find them In Lehman.
Typically you get assigned the advisor once you enroll and select the major. I know cCny assigns advisors for the science students. You should assume that at most schools, you'll need to get course selection for a semester approved regardless of major

Hey! I just got accepted as a second degree program at Lehman. On the application you select biology or chemistry as your major interest and that usually lets them know your most likely pre med !

Last edited:
I actually transferred to SUNY Farmingdale, York was okay-ish but the neighborhood was too ghetto and a few months back there was also a bomb threat warning. Sent me running lol. I took Bio 201 there though with Prof. Virginia Marin, very nice lady. Gave me helpful premed tips.

Last edited:
I actually transferred to SUNY Farmingdale, York was okay-ish but the neighborhood was too ghetto and a few months back there was also a bomb threat warning. Sent me running lol. I took Bio 201 there though with Prof. Virginia Marin, very nice lady. Gave me helpful premed tips.
Hi, I actually just got accepted into Farmingdale and Lehman. How do you like Farmingdale? Is it easy to get into the classes we need?