CRNAs will have an interventional pain fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sweet! I should have gone to nursing school and worked in an ICU for 2 years. That way I could have skipped the 10 years of undergrad, med school, and hospital work to become a lowly friggen intern. Now only 4-5 more ballbreaking years to MDA...CRNA is where its at.

Doin it for the critical care baby, for the CC.

Just wanted to bump this discussion regarding CRNAs and their want(need) to get board certification in Pain Management.

They've even drawn up initial drafts for their proposal.

How do you think this will affect the realm of pain management in the next 10 yrs if CRNAs gain ground with doing pain procedures and medication management?

DigableCat said:
Just wanted to bump this discussion regarding CRNAs and their want(need) to get board certification in Pain Management.

They've even drawn up initial drafts for their proposal.

How do you think this will affect the realm of pain management in the next 10 yrs if CRNAs gain ground with doing pain procedures and medication management?

This is truly unbelieveable.

I was attracted to pain managment coming out of medical school, but opted for psychiatry instead of anesthesiology (didn't really consider Neuro or PM&R) as I was and remain interested in the classic psychiatric patient population base. Now, despite completing an internship that included medicine and neurology, and extensive experience in addiction medicine during my residency, I'm finding myself more or less blocked from gas/neuro/pm&r pain fellowships (psychiatry sponsors only a handful), and am discouraged from practicing "out of my scope" should I pick up additional skills through CME courses. I should mention that my interest in pain managment is primarly non-interventional, with an emphasis in substance abusing populations.

In the meantime, NP's with a fraction of my medical education and experience are lobbying for increased subspecialization scope- and will probably get it. One look at the rate of decline in F.P. and I.M. pcps despite intense recruitment within the past 10 years should give anyone a clear idea of what happens when the insurance companies are allowed to compensate lesser-trained providers for services traditionally handled by physicians.