Critical Questions About Rad Onc Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightHouse123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I have read tons of posts to get a clear answers for my questions. It is only at the end of my search that I have resorted to creating this post. As such, your help and insights would be greatly appreciated. If you wish to troll, please spare me...I have enough problems on my plate right now. Thanks.

GFunk, Simul, and others: I have bothered you so much in the past with all my questions. This is the last set before I make my final decision about rad onc. So please, bear with me if the questions seem random. I promise this is the last set! Thanks!

1) Is it the mainstay for Rad Onc residents to do (Research, Presentations) during residency? Or is it a supplementary activity they voluntarily choose to do?

2) What is the difficulty of the 4 board examinations that a resident/grad is supposed to take (i.e Physics, Radiobiology, Clinical Written, and Oral)? Are they the same intensity as the Step 1 exam? Can studying 2hr/day during residency prepare you for it adequately?

3) I have met 7 rad oncs throughout medical school, 2 of them seem normal, and the other 5 seem detached and not warm at all. Are those the kind of people that populate "most" rad onc programs? (This is an honest sincere inquiry)

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) How emphasized research is depends on the program. At my program they expect at least a publication during residency, but in reality we're aiming for at least one first author a year. We have sufficient time and resources to do so, and in the end even the residents interested in private practice still tend to publish several papers. In any case, it benefits your own career in many ways. If you go into academics, the more publications, the better. Even for competitive private practice positions, so many residents do research that publications are expected. If you do research in areas that are becoming popular within private practice, it helps you to build connections and credibility.

2) Pass rates are on the order of 90%. If others can do it, you can do it.

3) There's a mixture of personalities in the specialty just like in any specialty. Pick based on whether you like the work the specialty does, not based on whether the few people you've met are cool people or not.

[/troll] ;)

I mostly agree with Neuronix.

1. When you interview at programs, you will get a distinct feel if research is actually the core mission of the department (Harvard & U Chicago give residents a year) or merely an after-thought (~ 3 months at some programs).

2. The board exam pass rates are slightly different for each exam. From easiest to pass to most difficult, the order is as follows: Written Clinical Oncology (~95% pass rate), Written Radiobiology (~93% pass rate), Written Physics (~88% pass rate), and Oral Boards (~80-85% pass rate). Note that these averages are based on my recollection of several years of data - they may certainly be higher or lower in any given year. If you pay attention, study well, and your program has good didactics then you should not have significant problems passing any of these exams.

3. Completely depends on the program. However, my observation is that most practicing Rad Oncs are quite 'easy going.'

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Neuronix and GFunk!

You have lighted my path with some much needed clarity.

Disclaimer: I have read tons of posts to get a clear answers for my questions. It is only at the end of my search that I have resorted to creating this post. As such, your help and insights would be greatly appreciated. If you wish to troll, please spare me...I have enough problems on my plate right now. Thanks.

GFunk, Simul, and others: I have bothered you so much in the past with all my questions. This is the last set before I make my final decision about rad onc. So please, bear with me if the questions seem random. I promise this is the last set! Thanks!

1) Is it the mainstay for Rad Onc residents to do (Research, Presentations) during residency? Or is it a supplementary activity they voluntarily choose to do?

2) What is the difficulty of the 4 board examinations that a resident/grad is supposed to take (i.e Physics, Radiobiology, Clinical Written, and Oral)? Are they the same intensity as the Step 1 exam? Can studying 2hr/day during residency prepare you for it adequately?

3) I have met 7 rad oncs throughout medical school, 2 of them seem normal, and the other 5 seem detached and not warm at all. Are those the kind of people that populate "most" rad onc programs? (This is an honest sincere inquiry)

Thank you in advance!

I will defer to Gfunk et al. regarding your questions 1 and 2 as they were dead on with number 1, and I can't speak to number 2.

Just wanted to add on, that last year during interview season I had the unique opportunity to meet well over 100 Rad Oncs, I'd actually think it may be slight over 200.

That said, they struck me as a great group of people and the percentage of "detached and not warm" was no different than the percentage in every other specialty, and orders of magnitude better than general surgery :)