Critical Care Medicine the "best" critical care journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasBoy

You talkin' to me?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to pick one journal to stay on top of what's happening in critical care, which would it be? Critical care medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

If I wanted to pick one journal to stay on top of what's happening in critical care, which would it be? Critical care medicine?

Well, if you had to pick one - I guess. I check the following 7 every month, and the others as they come to my attention. If you hamstrung for time (I assume you are if you're asking the question of which "one" to monitor) try setting up a customized, automated search on Pubmed that selects for editorials and reviews. You can monitor that and get a good broad based library going (the reviews) while keeping up on the most recent breakthroughs/contributions (editorials).

My Big 7:

Critical care medicine
Critical care
JAMA
NEJM
Am J of resp and crit care
Chest (there's a critical care section)
Lancet

That is a great list. Out of those 7, these two are the ones I defer to for CC review articles and beside NEJM, the ones I read the most.

CCM has some good review articles. Also JAMA is increasingly publishing a number of meta-analyses in critical care, I guess partly as Derek Angus is on the editorial board. There is also a journal called Intensive Care Medicine, that has some good stuff, but can be skipped for want of time.