Criminal Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harrycarey

Reaction score
I have an extensive criminal record
DUI/possession of controlled substance/paraphernalia in Dec of 2016
On top of that had MIP/illegal use of license in 2020.
All finished with diversion and will be expunged prior to applying for residency
I was 19 years old and 20 years old, prior to med school.
Got my act cleaned up. And have an excellent CV and have worked in mental health in the past.
Unfortunately, I really want to go into anesthesia. I’m not worried with matching as far as CV and grades go, but of course this will be a major red flag for licensing.
Since ERAS asks about convictions, I can match without any of this being brought up.
The problem will be licensing.
I’m deciding soon if I want my 4th year to be anesthesia heavy.
If I match and the last step is getting licensing, how should I figure out my chances of getting licensing? If I get denied, I’ll be left high and dry with all my 4th year electives being in anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would the problem be licensing? Like board cert? If it's been expunged and you were underage doesn't that go away?

Medical boards for licensing have access to FBI databases where they can see every past charge and arrest. So upon licensing they ask have you ever been arrested for anything regardless of outcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is something you have to consult with someone. If they have the database but can't use/don't use it for example.

Reactions: 1 user
you can look it up yourself. It costs like $1 (or some trivially small amount)

I did it a while back and it just showed a blank page.

I don’t remember the website, but it definitely exists and is tracked by all medical malpractice companies

Medical boards for licensing have access to FBI databases where they can see every past charge and arrest. So upon licensing they ask have you ever been arrested for anything regardless of outcome.
Not all medical boards. While this does not pertain to your case, I know of at least one that asks questions pertaining to criminal records/arrests that occurred at 18 years and older.

I have an extensive criminal record
DUI/possession of controlled substance/paraphernalia in Dec of 2016
On top of that had MIP/illegal use of license in 2020.
All finished with diversion and will be expunged prior to applying for residency
Got my act cleaned up. And have an excellent CV and have worked in mental health in the past.
Unfortunately, I really want to go into anesthesia. I’m not worried with matching as far as CV and grades go, but of course this will be a major red flag for licensing.
Since ERAS asks about convictions, I can match without any of this being brought up.
The problem will be licensing.
I’m deciding soon if I want my 4th year to be anesthesia heavy.
If I match and the last step is getting licensing, how should I figure out my chances of getting licensing? If I get denied, I’ll be left high and dry with all my 4th year electives being in anesthesia.
A medical license is a medical license. If you get denied one then it won’t matter if you matched anesthesia, neurosurgery, or peds. You’ll be boned regardless. So take whatever electives you want 4th year and talk to your school/lawyer about the chances of you being denied a license. I will say this, if your school thought it would be an issue getting a license then they wouldn’t have admitted you because there are so many qualified applicants out there.

There’s a question on eras that is more general and asks along the lines of would there be anything that would hinder getting a license so will likely have to disclose anyways

I'm sure some states will grant you license to practice , and with that you can work in any VA of the country and US territories.

I feel like I should disclose that on ERAS as well...

I don't think you'll have any issue. If it's all expunged you should be good.