Creighton University-Distant Pathway c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkwmcr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I wanted to start a new thread for the up coming applicant for Creighton's Distant Pathways program.

Members don't see this ad.

Funny you created this post today, i was just looking at this program earlier this morning.

I won't be applying to Creighton but Im curious to know your opinion to why you're applying to a distant-pathway program. From what I read online, it seemed that this is all online? I can't imagine taking my organic chemistry online...yet alone pharmacy classes will be a lot more difficult. What's the purpose of enlisting in this program?

Funny you created this post today, i was just looking at this program earlier this morning.

I won't be applying to Creighton but Im curious to know your opinion to why you're applying to a distant-pathway program. From what I read online, it seemed that this is all online? I can't imagine taking my organic chemistry online...yet alone pharmacy classes will be a lot more difficult. What's the purpose of enlisting in this program?

From what I have gathered, there's still a lot of interaction with professors through live or recorded lectures. You aren't just left in the cold to do everything on your own. It is definitely a pathway that would work well for some and not for others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys I wanted to start a new thread for the up coming applicant for Creighton's Distant Pathways program.

You mean Fall 2011, right? If so, then that's I. :) It's my only option b/c I'm a military spouse and move all the time. I've only heard great things about Creighton. After Sat's test, I'm going to start working on my supplemental questions.

Good luck!

Hi, there Creighton's program is the only one that is online. The lab work is done during the summers and the lecture portions are done online during the year. I would agree that this program could work only for some and not for others. For myself I have had my heart set on this program for a while because I really enjoy online courses. With going to pharmacy school my choices for locations are very limit because I am not willing to move very far. Creighton would be the perfect program for me.

You mean Fall 2011, right? If so, then that's I. :) It's my only option b/c I'm a military spouse and move all the time. I've only heard great things about Creighton. After Sat's test, I'm going to start working on my supplemental questions.

Good luck!

Hi there, yes I definitely meant class of 2011 got confused with the applications being open in 2010.

I am definitely a fan of Creighton's program and on online learning. Let me know how your test goes. I am going to take the PCAT in October. If you don't mind sharing your stats? or you could PM them to me.:)

Mandydp6 & idkwmcr: yeah I can see it working for only some ppl which is great they offer it. i just wonder how the graduating class compares in terms of Naplex scores and being able to communicate well with patients in the future.

in either case, best of luck to everyone applying!!! :cool:

I am also going to try and apply to the distance program for next fall.

Good luck to everyone!

Mandydp6 & idkwmcr: yeah I can see it working for only some ppl which is great they offer it. i just wonder how the graduating class compares in terms of Naplex scores and being able to communicate well with patients in the future.

in either case, best of luck to everyone applying!!! :cool:

I found some data for the 2006 to 2008 graduating classes (from some ACPE preliminary report) - NAPLEX pass rates were:

2006 - Campus - 83.7% (3.45 mean GPA)
2006 - Distance - 92.2% (3.43 mean GPA)

2007 - Campus - 99% (3.57 mean GPA)
2007 - Distance - 94.9% (3.55 mean GPA)

2008 - Campus - 100% (3.59 mean GPA)
2008 - Distance - 98.18% (3.55 mean GPA)

So, I guess you can make the comparison in terms of pass rates - I had trouble finding data more recent than 2008, but if memory serves me right, I believe both pathways had a 100% pass rate last year.

As for talking to patients, and I'll admit I'm biased, but I'm not sure how being in a classroom setting is more hepful in terms of patient interaction. A large number of distance students are pursuing pharmacy as a 2nd career and have experience in people interaction (if not specifically patient interaction) from whatever their previous work may have been. That doesn't necessarily make us any more adept than our campus counterparts, but I don't think it puts us at a disadvantage either. Communication skills are very difficult to learn in a classroom, whether you are there in person or doing distance learning. Distance students also still participate in patient counseling simulations - we just do it all in our summer sessions as opposed to doing it throughout the semester.

I just wanted to put that out there because I have received this question and concern via PM numerous times.

Good luck to all!

just to put in some info about them:
my sister was in the distant pathway and after year 2 she switched to campus (which was not easy)
it really depends on the type of person and how they learn.
also some of the tests are taken at test centers so not all are online.

another thing is if you find distant pathway students that live around you then you could study with them as well. it would depend on your location.

I found some data for the 2006 to 2008 graduating classes (from some ACPE preliminary report) - NAPLEX pass rates were:

2006 - Campus - 83.7% (3.45 mean GPA)
2006 - Distance - 92.2% (3.43 mean GPA)

2007 - Campus - 99% (3.57 mean GPA)
2007 - Distance - 94.9% (3.55 mean GPA)

2008 - Campus - 100% (3.59 mean GPA)
2008 - Distance - 98.18% (3.55 mean GPA)

So, I guess you can make the comparison in terms of pass rates - I had trouble finding data more recent than 2008, but if memory serves me right, I believe both pathways had a 100% pass rate last year.

As for talking to patients, and I'll admit I'm biased, but I'm not sure how being in a classroom setting is more hepful in terms of patient interaction. A large number of distance students are pursuing pharmacy as a 2nd career and have experience in people interaction (if not specifically patient interaction) from whatever their previous work may have been. That doesn't necessarily make us any more adept than our campus counterparts, but I don't think it puts us at a disadvantage either. Communication skills are very difficult to learn in a classroom, whether you are there in person or doing distance learning. Distance students also still participate in patient counseling simulations - we just do it all in our summer sessions as opposed to doing it throughout the semester.

I just wanted to put that out there because I have received this question and concern via PM numerous times.

Good luck to all!

Yes, 2009 had 100% campus and 100% distance NAPLEX pass rates!

Another military spouse here! This school is really my only shot at going pharmacy, so I've worked my butt off on my GPA. What's weird is the applicants last year that had high scores/GPA and were not even interviewed! Took the PCAT last week, but the amount of anatomy and organic (which I just started taking) makes me think I need to retake it in October. Does anyone know if they will look at your application again if you retake the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, I know this is a Jesuit institution, so do they give preference for practicing Catholics? Are there any students there who aren't practicing?

No preference for religious belief/non-belief

Another military spouse here! This school is really my only shot at going pharmacy, so I've worked my butt off on my GPA. What's weird is the applicants last year that had high scores/GPA and were not even interviewed! Took the PCAT last week, but the amount of anatomy and organic (which I just started taking) makes me think I need to retake it in October. Does anyone know if they will look at your application again if you retake the PCAT?

Not all applicants last year with high scores/GPA were denied interviews. What's most important is a well-rounded applicant. Just having good grades and PCAT doesn't equate to a good pharmacist.

I remember reading a lot of those that applied with high PCAT scores and GPAs that were not accepted had applied late in the cycle.

Good luck to you...we're in the same boat.

Out of curiosity, I know this is a Jesuit institution, so do they give preference for practicing Catholics? Are there any students there who aren't practicing?

I concur with DrugDoc - I don't even recall disclosing my religious affiliation, though the supplemental did ask some questions regarding Jesuit values.

The curriculum is not religious based per se, but we do discuss Ignatian values in many classes - not Catholicism, but how the values apply to your role as a health care provider.

I concur with DrugDoc - I don't even recall disclosing my religious affiliation, though the supplemental did ask some questions regarding Jesuit values.

The curriculum is not religious based per se, but we do discuss Ignatian values in many classes - not Catholicism, but how the values apply to your role as a health care provider.

That makes sense...thanks!

Does anyone know how IPPE sites and rotations work for the distant program?

Does anyone know how IPPE sites and rotations work for the distant program?

Yes - is there something specific you're curious about?

In general, it works pretty much like anywhere else with a couple of exceptions. For IPPE, you will likely be finding your own site and submitting the information to the school (there are agreements, contracts, etc. that must be in place prior to your visit). Since they are changing IPPE requirements from when I started, this may be changing as well - that would be a good question to ask them.

For rotations, if you live near enough to Omaha, you will be in with campus students - if not, you can select sites in your area that have taken students in the past or you can find your own (new) sites that will need approval from the school. You submit your preferences and the Experiential Office folks pretty much do the rest - they schedule everything and let you know if there are any problems.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell - feel free to PM if you have more specific questions.

Does anyone know how many avergae Pharmacy hours the students in the distance pathway had in their application? Does creighton look for pharmacy tech experience or volunteer experience?

Does anyone know how many avergae Pharmacy hours the students in the distance pathway had in their application? Does creighton look for pharmacy tech experience or volunteer experience?

All you need are the minimum number of credits required. Once you hit that everyone is equal, for the most part (of course, those with 200 credits have more experience and are generally older, which may put them at an advantage).

Creighton looks for everything - a well-rounded applicant is best. Volunteering is a must, even if it's a few one-time-only experiences. Some sort of pharmacy experience is 99% a must as well, whether it's tech, shadowing, etc.

I applied to Creighton Distance last year and got on the Alternate List... This year I am coming back for another round. I got more involved in the community and volunteered more in a pharmacy.
Its been a hard year, both my parents were diagnosed with cancer, and my wife had our first child. I turned down two acceptances because they required us to move and there is no way I could have focused on school.
I hung all my hopes on getting in on that Alternate List. I didnt make it last year, but I am trying even harder to get in this cycle.
This distance program is the only one in the nation. I went through the interview process last year and was blown away by the quality of the faculty and facilities compared to other schools.
This really is a one of a kind program and I am grateful that it exists.
Good luck to everyone !!!

All you need are the minimum number of credits required. Once you hit that everyone is equal, for the most part (of course, those with 200 credits have more experience and are generally older, which may put them at an advantage).

Creighton looks for everything - a well-rounded applicant is best. Volunteering is a must, even if it's a few one-time-only experiences. Some sort of pharmacy experience is 99% a must as well, whether it's tech, shadowing, etc.

By credits do you mean semester units?

Any idea when Creighton will start notifying students about the Dec. 3rd interview? This time last year applicants started hearing from them, but the 1st session for distance applicants was in Nov. Please post if you get an interview offer. Thanks!

Since it is a distance program can it be done in 3 years or at your pace? Can any current students put their input?? Thank you in advance.

Since it is a distance program can it be done in 3 years or at your pace? Can any current students put their input?? Thank you in advance.

I'm a hopeful, not a current student, but from my understanding, it's done on a specific curriculum - 3 yrs didactic and 1 yr rotations - not at your own pace. Labs are done on campus in the summers.
http://spahp2.creighton.edu/admission/Pharmacy/Pharmacy_Distance_Curriculum.htm

Be aware that you have to pay for 9 semesters, not 8.

I've only heard fantastic feedback on the program. I'd love to hear input from current students, too.

JJVmom is correct - the program is not an "at your own pace" set up. If campus students have a test on day X, distance students have a test on day X too. The only thing that is on your own schedule is typically when you choose to watch lectures. Theoretically, you could not watch lectures all week and catch up on all of them over the weekend.

This would not be a recommened approach and I think you'd find yourself in academic trouble relatively quickly if you routinely did things this way. However, for the majority of classes there is no requirement to watch the lecture on the same day it is given. Assignments, exams, quizzes, and the like for distance students are all due at the same time as those for their campus counterparts (there is usually a deadline time that the online drop-boxes close for assignments - it may or may not be the exact time as the live class takes place but it is on the same day).

It would also not be amenable to speeding up the pace (assuming that "at your own pace" means faster than the courses are scheduled) - yikes, I can't even imagine trying to do that! There were times I felt like we were speeding through things already...their curriculum is designed to be 3 years didactic and I can't imagine a way to make it go much faster (even if they let you).

Check your email. I got an interview offer today. I can't wait for Dec. 3rd!

For those who asked:

3.47/3.47 GPAs
74 composite PCAT
B.S. degree, CPhT

OP - can you change the thread title to 2011 applicants, instead of 2010. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats JJVmom! That's great. I met the Admissions ladies last month and they are super nice there. I have to wait until the end of the semester, I found out they won't look at your file until you complete Organic Chem I. Hopefully I'll get a January slot. Good luck to you!!

Congrats JJVmom! That's great. I met the Admissions ladies last month and they are super nice there. I have to wait until the end of the semester, I found out they won't look at your file until you complete Organic Chem I. Hopefully I'll get a January slot. Good luck to you!!

Thank you. I can't wait to fly out there. I've been in touch with an admissions counselor via phone and email, so it will be nice to put a face to the name. I'm so excited for the interview and to see the campus. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

I don't know how you took the PCAT w/out Organic. There was a lot of Ochem on my test. I actually thought Organic was easier than General. I hope you get invited to the January interview. Good luck to you, too. :)

Working on my app now. I think the distance program will be more difficult; but my husband has a job here and my kids are all involved in their activities/friends. If I can't get in to the only local PharmD program, then Creighton seems like a great option for me.

Is your husband a nuke by any chance?

No, he is a managing partner in an auto repair business. I would think it would be hard to find someone to buy him out in this economy. But he has agreed to move if necessary for me to go to school. :love:

JJVmom, how long ago did you apply? I just finished my application a few days ago. Hopefully it was early enough to be considered for the December interview...

JJVmom, how long ago did you apply? I just finished my application a few days ago. Hopefully it was early enough to be considered for the December interview...

Creighton received my application on 10/12 and offered me the interview on 11/1. It sounds like you still have time to be considered for the 12/3 interview. You should ask them, just to be sure. I had lots of questions along the way and the admissions counselor was always quick to respond. Good luck!

Does anyone know what the minimum hours required for pharmacy experience

Does anyone know what the minimum hours required for pharmacy experience

Look on the application. If there's a minimum it will be listed.

Hey JJVmom (and anyone else willing to share), what kind of work experience/volunteer experience did you have? I feel like my academic stats are fairly similar to yours and I am anxiously awaiting any word on an interview.

GPA: 3.59 undergrad/ 3.87 grad
Cumulative PCAT: 85
B.S. Biology and Psychology
1 year graduate study in biology
CPhT
2 years hospital pharmacy tech experience
several volunteer experiences, but with only minimal relation to healthcare (does that matter?)

Hey JJVmom (and anyone else willing to share), what kind of work experience/volunteer experience did you have? I feel like my academic stats are fairly similar to yours and I am anxiously awaiting any word on an interview.

GPA: 3.59 undergrad/ 3.87 grad
Cumulative PCAT: 85
B.S. Biology and Psychology
1 year graduate study in biology
CPhT
2 years hospital pharmacy tech experience
several volunteer experiences, but with only minimal relation to healthcare (does that matter?)

When did you submit your app? Your stats are better than mine, and you have great experience. I've been a Red Cross volunteer for 1.5 yrs and had a summer job as a tech as a military hospital. I also have lots of leadership and life experience, including 2 yrs in (non-pharmacy) healthcare. My personal statement explained strong motivation for becoming a pharmacist as well. I'll pm you more details.

Good luck!

I'm currently a P3 Creighton PharmD distance student. Just wanted to pipe in with a word of encouragement! It took me 2 years to get into the distance program. Being the only distance PharmD program in the nation and being of such high caliber (in my opinion :) they have many more qualified applicants than they can admit. If CU is the only egg in your basket, you need to find out what they value/what type of student they're looking for and decide if you fit the bill. You need to show them that you share their values and that you WANT to be there. They value maturity, Jesuit values and emotional intelligence. I hate to say it, but some of the young kids going straight into pharm school just aren't mature enough to have decided their calling and they're attracted to the $$, not by a sense of service to others. Since the average distance student has much more life experience behind them, they tend to know that pharmacy is the field for them. There can often be very real difference between these two types of students, seen most when they get to rotations!

I made sure to set myself apart and to do my best to help the profs on the admissions board know who I was. I flew out to Omaha just to visit and meet with a prof on the admissions board. I talked with admissions quite a bit. I found out why they didn't accept me the first time (I too was an alternate). Do your research and know everything about the school of pharmacy!! And most of all, put A LOT of time and effort into your presonal statements. They matter just as much as your grades!!

Another thing....it's very important to get your applications in early. They admit on a rolling basis. This means that slots fill up. If you're a highly qualified applicant but they don't see your application until most slots are filled, then your chances of getting in are much lower. Make sure that your references are STRONG and testify to the type of person you are as well as your calling to pharmacy.

Good luck to you all! I know how it feels to be in your shoes. You can do it!

When did you submit your app? Your stats are better than mine, and you have great experience. I've been a Red Cross volunteer for 1.5 yrs and had a summer job as a tech as a military hospital. I also have lots of leadership and life experience, including 2 yrs in (non-pharmacy) healthcare. My personal statement explained strong motivation for becoming a pharmacist as well. I'll pm you more details.

Good luck!

Just got my interview invitation email today! Interviewing on Jan. 21st!

Just got my interview invitation email today! Interviewing on Jan. 21st!

Congratulations! I had an amazing experience on Friday. I'm sure you will on 1/21, too.

The staff and other candidates were so friendly, and I love the school's philosophy on education and the role of pharmacists in society. The technology and support for the program seems outstanding. Those of us at the 12/3 interview should know the results soon. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Good luck!

Those of us at the 12/3 interview should know the results soon. Keeping my fingers crossed...

@JJVmom ... any word yet? I was there Dec. 3 too, and the past couple of days I've gotten excited about any incoming call from a number I didn't recognize ... only to be disappointed by things like automated advertisements!

@JJVmom ... any word yet? I was there Dec. 3 too, and the past couple of days I've gotten excited about any incoming call from a number I didn't recognize ... only to be disappointed by things like automated advertisements!

I got the call today, and it showed up as "unknown" on my phone. I almost didn't pick up. I'm so excited! See you in July. :D

I got the call today, and it showed up as "unknown" on my phone. I almost didn't pick up. I'm so excited! See you in July. :D

Hi JJVmom, congrats!
So they gave you a call? I thought they will mail out the letter. I'm still waiting for my result.

Hi JJVmom, congrats!
So they gave you a call? I thought they will mail out the letter. I'm still waiting for my result.

Yes. They called me and said that the package is coming in the mail. I'm relieved they did because I'm out of town for the holidays. I hope all 16 of us are accepted!

Yes. They called me and said that the package is coming in the mail. I'm relieved they did because I'm out of town for the holidays. I hope all 16 of us are accepted!
i was at the dec 3rd interview and got an acceptance call this past friday! hope to see you all this summer yay! :)

i was at the dec 3rd interview and got an acceptance call this past friday! hope to see you all this summer yay! :)

Congratulations! See you in July.

Hello all!
What a great site! It's nice to go through this process with you all, at least virtually!
I am still waiting for PharmCAS to recalculate my GPA after receiving my AU info. So hard to wait!
Anyone else in my shoes? I hope it's not too late to hear about the Jan 21st interview, but I have a feeling it is. Any thoughts?
Merry Christmas and good luck to you all!