Credentialing tour-what to expect in 2019 (Navy HPSP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pantherdoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a current 3rd year Navy HPSP student, and I am currently looking forward to next summer and my transition to ODS and my first duty station. As of now, I am currently planning on doing a credentialing tour and was curious on how the process went for recent grads, so a few questions:
1. When were you actually contacted by your detailer, and how much of a "choice" were you given in selecting location? Also-from what I've read the credentialing tours tend to stay in the larger bases, is this true and if so which are the most common?

2. When did you find out where you were assigned? Even in terms of being "penciled in" but not confirmed.

3. How long did you spend at your first duty station? Is it routinely a one-year deal or can you be assigned multiple years at your first post?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I am a current 3rd year Navy HPSP student, and I am currently looking forward to next summer and my transition to ODS and my first duty station. As of now, I am currently planning on doing a credentialing tour and was curious on how the process went for recent grads, so a few questions:
1. When were you actually contacted by your detailer, and how much of a "choice" were you given in selecting location? Also-from what I've read the credentialing tours tend to stay in the larger bases, is this true and if so which are the most common?

2. When did you find out where you were assigned? Even in terms of being "penciled in" but not confirmed.

3. How long did you spend at your first duty station? Is it routinely a one-year deal or can you be assigned multiple years at your first post?

I am a 4th year dental student on the scholarship program doing a credentialing tour. Here’s what happened to me:

Around December of my senior year I got an email from my detailer asking me to send him my wish list. He gave me possible bases that might be open as well as geographical area (east, southwest,etc). I ranked about 4 based and was able to get my number one choice. However it all depends on which base you want and if they have opening there or not. My number one preference was Norfolk so it was really easy to get since it is one of the largest bases.
Around March early March I decided to contact my detailer on the phone and he literally asked me what I want for my first year. I said Norfolk and he said then Norfolk it is. Same thing happened to my colleague and she got her first choice of Great Lakes Illinois. Getting San Diego would be difficult unless you get really lucky or are doing a residency.
The possible locations I was told were SD, Camp Pendleton, lejeune, parris island, Groton CT, Bangor WA, Norfolk, 29 palms.

It is possible to extend another 2 years at your current post after credentialing if they have openings(except Great Lakes I think). In Norfolk I heard that is not a problem since they have so many billets and ships are everywhere. You can also request to switch green side and extend 2 years at lejeune. However I want to go to Japan haha...

I am a 4th year dental student on the scholarship program doing a credentialing tour. Here’s what happened to me:

Around December of my senior year I got an email from my detailer asking me to send him my wish list. He gave me possible bases that might be open as well as geographical area (east, southwest,etc). I ranked about 4 based and was able to get my number one choice. However it all depends on which base you want and if they have opening there or not. My number one preference was Norfolk so it was really easy to get since it is one of the largest bases.
Around March early March I decided to contact my detailer on the phone and he literally asked me what I want for my first year. I said Norfolk and he said then Norfolk it is. Same thing happened to my colleague and she got her first choice of Great Lakes Illinois. Getting San Diego would be difficult unless you get really lucky or are doing a residency.
The possible locations I was told were SD, Camp Pendleton, lejeune, parris island, Groton CT, Bangor WA, Norfolk, 29 palms.

It is possible to extend another 2 years at your current post after credentialing if they have openings(except Great Lakes I think). In Norfolk I heard that is not a problem since they have so many billets and ships are everywhere. You can also request to switch green side and extend 2 years at lejeune. However I want to go to Japan haha...
Is Hawaii ever an option for a credentialing tour?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to go to Japan haha...
Can you elaborate on the Japan tour? I'm highly interested. I also want to do the 1 year AEGD so any advice on timeline, checklist, application process is much appreciated. I'm class 2019 also Navy HPSP.