CPT vs PE Large Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it may be of interest to the board

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Interesting study. I'd love to see this study outside of the VA. Just way too many confounds with the SC system. Just look at that dropout rate. This gels with my experience of doing PE/CPT in and outside of the VA. I can only remember one non-VA pt drop out of my PTSD treatments, but in the VA, we always just assumed that we'd only get 3-5 sessions and anything after that was bonus time.

Reactions: 1 users
Very interesting. I had the same thought as WisNeuro - wondering about potential moderating effects of that comparison. Actually had limited experience treating PTSD despite my best efforts to get it so have only done CPT (and even that only a handful of cases), but my experience there was definitely that people vary tremendously in their "psychological mindedness" and the value of certain components seems to depend more heavily on that than I imagine would be the case for PE. I could also see differences as a function of the nature of the index trauma. Some experiences are inherently more "cognitive" than others. Even the broad categories (i.e. military combat, sexual violence) have tremendous within-category variation.

Is exposure itself the only active ingredient in both? I'm reminded of the behavioral activation/ vs general CBT for depression literature. In general, BA seems to be the primary driver of outcomes. The literature disagrees with me, but I'm still not convinced that is necessarily reality. There are many potential moderators we haven't explored to the degree that would satisfy me and cognitive constructs in general are tougher to measure.

Clinically, myself and virtually everyone I know who has done depression treatment has encountered patients who do better with more cognitive work than a pure BA approach. Its complicated though, because the patients who "want" a more cognitive approach are also not necessarily the ones who do better with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing, we've been talking a lot about this study in the VA PTSD world. One criticism I saw is that dropout from CPT might have been early completion.

In the VA, it's pretty easy to get people to complete CPT, but I don't have many who complete PE.

Reactions: 2 users
Regardless of how faithfully I try to stick with the protocol, I usually end up doing elements of both with a sprinkling of ACT.

You're supposed to feel stuff. Your brain is doing what it is supposed to do. Now go do the meaningful thing and we'll talk about all the scary stuck points that surface before and after until you get tired of showing up for therapy or until I feel like we're treading the same ground.

Reactions: 2 users
In the VA, it's pretty easy to get people to complete CPT, but I don't have many who complete PE.
The amount of people who've completed CPT and can't recall anything specific about the treatment versus people who've had as little a single post-initial PE session and can talk in depth about how horrible of an experience it was is truly impressive.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
No SVTs in a compensation seeking setting. So base rate of ~ 40-60% of the n=916 would be expected to fail validity measures. Mean effect size for effort is what? d=1.35-1.55?

The amount of people who've completed CPT and can't recall anything specific about the treatment versus people who've had as little a single post-initial PE session and can talk in depth about how horrible of an experience it was is truly impressive.

The real question is how many recall the exact amount of their disability check.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users