CPhT Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaPharmGirl09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My daughter turns 18 in the middle of her senior year and would like to take the CPhT exam as soon as she can after her birthday. How often, and in what months, do they offer the exam. Their websites just show the September and November dates.

Members don't see this ad.

GaPharmGirl09 said:
My daughter turns 18 in the middle of her senior year and would like to take the CPhT exam as soon as she can after her birthday. How often, and in what months, do they offer the exam. Their websites just show the September and November dates.

Hi!

Go to ptcb.org. The homepage gives all the info you asked. However, if your daughter is in CA, she needs to graduate high school by the time she takes the test and apply for a state license.

Best!

smallkitty00 said:
Hi!

Go to ptcb.org. The homepage gives all the info you asked. However, if your daughter is in CA, she needs to graduate high school by the time she takes the test and apply for a state license.

Best!

Thanks for the reply. I checked their website PRIOR to posting my request for the information. The only two dates I saw was September and November. I couldn't find dates for 2007.

As far as the high school graduation goes, I just saw the requirement on PTCB that you MUST have graduated from HS or have a GED to sit for the exam.

The website says that you MUST be a HS graduate or have a GED but I took the exam when I was 17 and a junior in HS. They never ask(ed) for proof of a diploma/GED. I took the exam and passed and there was never a problem. I guess it all depends on the licensing standards of your state, i.e. what are the age requirements for licensure as a pharmacy technician. In Illinois you can become a licensed as a pharm tech at 16.

Members don't see this ad :)
GaPharmGirl09 said:

It was also offered in March and July of this year, so I guess they'll offer it around the same time next year.

http://www.ptcb.org/Downloads/Documents/GuidebookToPTCBCertification.pdf

ButlerPharm.D. said:
The website says that you MUST be a HS graduate or have a GED but I took the exam when I was 17 and a junior in HS. They never ask(ed) for proof of a diploma/GED. I took the exam and passed and there was never a problem. I guess it all depends on the licensing standards of your state, i.e. what are the age requirements for licensure as a pharmacy technician. In Illinois you can become a licensed as a pharm tech at 16.

How long ago did you take it? I am a CPhT, but went through a program at the community college. I was wondering how hard it would be for someone that studied on their own, especially someone that was in HS when they did it.

Even though it is not required in GA, my daughter wants to get certified. She hopes to find employment in a pharmacy once she graduates from HS and continue getting pharmacy experience while she is doing her pre-pharmacy classes. If they don't change pre-reqs, my daughter is hoping to begin her first year of pharmacy school three months after I graduate from school.

GaPharmGirl09 said:
How long ago did you take it? I am a CPhT, but went through a program at the community college. I was wondering how hard it would be for someone that studied on their own, especially someone that was in HS when they did it.

Even though it is not required in GA, my daughter wants to get certified. She hopes to find employment in a pharmacy once she graduates from HS and continue getting pharmacy experience while she is doing her pre-pharmacy classes. If they don't change pre-reqs, my daughter is hoping to begin her first year of pharmacy school three months after I graduate from school.

I just took the exam in July, and I passed - don't know my score yet, because I haven't received the score report, but the website says I passed.

I didn't take any courses - I studied on my own with this book - "
Certification Review for PharmacyTechnicians, Seventh Edition".The practice exams in the back were especially helpful - although there were some questions there that were not covered in the book, the answers were either common sense or available on google.

I would suggest doing all the practice exams, and going through and finding out why you missed every question you missed, and why the correct answer is the correct answer. Many questions on the actual exam were extremely similar

Hope that helps :)