Covid precautions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oldman21

Physician
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my surgical center, after each case that requires ETT or LMA we wait for air exchange before setting up next case. According to CDC guidelines we wait 21 minutes. Is anyone else doing this? I was informed that the local tertiary care hospital does not.

Members don't see this ad.

At my surgical center, after each case that requires ETT or LMA we wait for air exchange before setting up next case. According to CDC guidelines we wait 21 minutes. Is anyone else doing this? I was informed that the local tertiary care hospital does not.

Every pt for OR gets covid swab beforehand. The negative ones.. I dont think we do anything different.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. Everyone gets tested. If we waited 21 minutes before setting up for each case, I'd be going home after 4 and homie don't play that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone only admitted with a negative “recent” swap.
We wait for any airway instrumentation. MAC cases, no.
So if I can get away without putting anything, I will try.

I was told our filtering system is “better” so we only wait, 16 rather than 21.... or something like that

Not sure what you mean about “everyone only admtted with negative recent swab?” All of our patients have negative swabs within last 5 days. Can you please clarify? Thanks for your input.

Not sure what you mean about “everyone only admtted with negative recent swab?” All of our patients have negative swabs within last 5 days. Can you please clarify? Thanks for your input.

Patients can only come into the center with a negative test, within the last 3-7 days.

My apologizes for not being clear.

We usually put cases with tube at the end of the day. Our volume was never huge, so we don’t feel it as bad as some other larger centers.

Patients can only come into the center with a negative test, within the last 3-7 days.

My apologizes for not being clear.

We usually put cases with tube at the end of the day. Our volume was never huge, so we don’t feel it as bad as some other larger centers.
Thanks. So we’re not the only ones waiting for air exchange! I was trying to ascertain as to whether we are an outlier. Appreciate your input.

Thanks. So we’re not the only ones waiting for air exchange! I was trying to ascertain as to whether we are an outlier. Appreciate your input.

Nope. You are not.
It may be region dependent as well. We are in the NE. We are about 2 hr from nyc, FYI.

We test everyone within 3 days having surgery except for colonoscopies (endoscopists pressured administration to drop COVID testing in these patients over our objections) and emergency surgeries. Known COVID cases or PUI cases are performed in a dedicated OR and the patients are also recovered in the OR (PACU nurses come to the OR). On the other hand, we have only an estimated 4000 people that are infectious with COVID in any day in an area of 3.4 million people, and most of these are younger, less likely to have surgery, and the PCR tests are actually overly sensitive, positive for weeks after infectivity wanes.

Reactions: 1 users
We test everyone within 3 days having surgery except for colonoscopies (endoscopists pressured administration to drop COVID testing in these patients over our objections) and emergency surgeries. Known COVID cases or PUI cases are performed in a dedicated OR and the patients are also recovered in the OR (PACU nurses come to the OR). On the other hand, we have only an estimated 4000 people that are infectious with COVID in any day in an area of 3.4 million people, and most of these are younger, less likely to have surgery, and the PCR tests are actually overly sensitive, positive for weeks after infectivity wanes.

We test all colonoscopies and EGDs at the hospital.

Don’t have any PUIs recently. We “usually” have a few rapid tests in house, for any “true” emergencies. We have used antibody tests as a surrogate, not a good test, I know, but when it comes to a pinch.