Course Load Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, I had a meeting with Michigan State U. College of Osteopathic Medicine. I had a bunch of questions, but I did ask about whether my courseload was sufficient.
From a previous thread, I had all of my prerequisites done during undergrad (8 years ago), and am just taking 1 class per semester in other science courses I've not taken. I'll probably take 2 per term, after the April MCAT.
Of course this is while working full time, volunteering, EC' etc.

I promised some feedback. This is the second admissions councelor/associate director that I've met with that said that it does not raise any flags.

This was a hot topic on the other post. Also, perhaps the fact that I had a more "normal" undergrad workload is a reason why she said it would be no problem. Also, my GPA is pretty high. I'm not sure.

I had a follow up meeting with an MD school to sort of double check that I was on the right track with this approach, but I have a work conflict and can not make it. I'm going to reschedule, but also have one for next Tuesday.

I'll follow up with what I find out. Again, I promised a follow up since there were some differing opinions. Also, I'm just inquiring to Michigan MD and DO schools, so it would be good to check this out on your own.

*One point that the DO women really did stress was EC's though. She said it makes a big difference in how you stand out when the commitees get together to discuss your application. Seemingly not as much as the MD person. But, I'm sure they both look closely at EC's in general. Just FYI.

I'll keep you posted on future meetings.

Members don't see this ad.

EC's are also pretty important for Mayo. We had an informal pre-med/medical SNMA conference not long ago and this was brought up. EC's can make you stand out quite a bit from the rest of the crowd.

efex101 said:
EC's are also pretty important for Mayo. We had an informal pre-med/medical SNMA conference not long ago and this was brought up. EC's can make you stand out quite a bit from the rest of the crowd.

This may be a stupid question, but what are ECs?

Members don't see this ad :)
efex101 said:
extracurricular activities.

Ah, got it. Thanks. Man, I've been out of school too long.

Hi. I promised more feedback relative to courseload. I met with MSU-college of human medicine (they also have an osteopathic school which i reported on previously) yesterday.

The admin person i met with was fine about the non-trads with full time jobs etc. only taking a class or two per semester. Again, i did quite well as a traditional undergrad 8 years ago. So, maybe that's why. Not sure.

But, the recurring theme seems to be illustrating a true passion for why you want to become a doc. Also, the two Michigan State U. schools seem to value clinical experience over research exp. But, that's because they are more primary care oriented.

Again, just FYI. I'm sure every school is a bit different though. But the 3 schools I've met with in my state seem to really think highly of the sacrifices that non-trads are making etc. They also understand juggling work, family, mortgages, and EC's (oh, and school!).

Good luck to all in getting in to med school.

cfdavid said:
Hi. I promised more feedback relative to courseload. I met with MSU-college of human medicine (they also have an osteopathic school which i reported on previously) yesterday.

The admin person i met with was fine about the non-trads with full time jobs etc. only taking a class or two per semester. Again, i did quite well as a traditional undergrad 8 years ago. So, maybe that's why. Not sure.

But, the recurring theme seems to be illustrating a true passion for why you want to become a doc. Also, the two Michigan State U. schools seem to value clinical experience over research exp. But, that's because they are more primary care oriented.

Again, just FYI. I'm sure every school is a bit different though. But the 3 schools I've met with in my state seem to really think highly of the sacrifices that non-trads are making etc. They also understand juggling work, family, mortgages, and EC's (oh, and school!). Good luck to all in getting in to med school.

Had you been a student who had not started a post-bacc program I don't think the advice would be "sure go ahead and take 1 class a semester, we understand, theres no difference between 1 or 3 classes a semester." I find it hard to beleive anyone would advise a student to take 1 class a semester (ADCOM or other) and somehow relate that to 2-3 classes a semester. Having already completed your post-bacc and doing well (congrats) and having proven yourself an exceptional student as an undergraduate, its not surprising they replied in that mannor. However, for those who may not have done so well in undergrad, or who have been out of school for a significant period of time there is a need to prove you can handle coursework.
Good luck :luck:

Thank you for the feedbacks :)
I will come back on this forum and check often your feedbacks on the meetings you had with adcoms :D