Couple of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argonauta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there :)

Couple questions:

1. How much physics / math does a Rad Onc actually have to work with? Do the doctors (as opposed to physicists who design equipment) actually know/work with physical and mathematical issues? Or is that all opaque to the physician?

2. As a math undergrad who has been paying his way through school as a SW engineer, I don't have much time left to do ugrad research. Any suggestions as to what I could do (either still ugrad or in med school) to learn more or better qualify myself for a radonc match and residency? (yea, I may change my mind, but heck, this field just seems so amazing :)

thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a difficult q to answer because it begs the question" relative to what?" Its not difficult math at all (mostly concepts and basic math) and the physics is not for the most part the stuff you studies in college premed. Its a set body of knowledege that you must learn and apply. Is it difficult? not really. Its just new.

Yes, the physicians must know the concepts of the physics (im leaving the math out as any complicated math (clarkson calcs etc)) the arena of the physicist. But yes, you must understand the physics. Again, its not hard, just different.

That you know you are interested in rad onc so early only will help. In med school, get some time doing clinical or basic research and publish something. And spend lots of time with your neighborhood friendly rad onc docs.
All the best! :clap:

Steph