Core Ophthalmology Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glacayo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched in Ophtho for 2004 and wanted to know which core text books are recommended for residency. I know the OKAP basic science series is key but, I was wondering from some ophtho residents which five books they feel are the most essential for reading and reference. (Kanski, Spalton, Albert & Jakobic, Shields...?)

which do you recommend reading during my spare time (HAHAHA..) during my internship to have a good foundation to start in July 2004

thanks in advance and good luck to all

Stones :p

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by glacayo
I recently matched in Ophtho for 2004 and wanted to know which core text books are recommended for residency. I know the OKAP basic science series is key but, I was wondering from some ophtho residents which five books they feel are the most essential for reading and reference. (Kanski, Spalton, Albert & Jakobic, Shields...?)

which do you recommend reading during my spare time (HAHAHA..) during my internship to have a good foundation to start in July 2004

thanks in advance and good luck to all

Stones :p

Congrats on the match.

I recommend that you read the Wills cover to cover. This will help you with formulating differential diagnoses. Kanski is a good general textbook too. For each speciality that you'll rotate through, I highly recommend the requisites (http://www3.us.elsevierhealth.com/HS/reqoph/).

The others you mentioned are great for reference later in your training.

Andrew,

thanks for your suggestions. I hadn't heard of that series but, they look great.

thanks,

stones

soon to be: PGY-1 Rush Presbyterian/St. Luke's (Surgery)
PGY-2 - 4 RUSH Presbyterian/ St. Luke's (Ophtho)

Originally posted by glacayo
Andrew,

thanks for your suggestions. I hadn't heard of that series but, they look great.

thanks,

stones

soon to be: PGY-1 Rush Presbyterian/St. Luke's (Surgery)
PGY-2 - 4 RUSH Presbyterian/ St. Luke's (Ophtho)

Stones,

The requisites are excellent books. They're not too long and provide adequate information for residents and practicing ophthalmologists. For instance, Nerad's oculoplastics is an excellent text and discusses numerous surgical approaches to orbital diseases.

Good luck!